GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"pc or console?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/02/02 at 17:50
Regular
just in general

it`s a tough one but id go for console because they work just for games and ar echeaper if you just want to play games.
Wed 27/02/02 at 18:41
"©opy Right™"
It depends what sort of games you like a graphics i coudnt choose between then.
Wed 27/02/02 at 18:24
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
savatt1668 wrote:
> When I play games on PC, I have this constant worry that the game will crash and
> hours of play and progress will have gone to waste.

I always get this with Unreal Tournament, but it's no doubt got smething to do with playing against 19 other people, get a better OS, if you've got XP then not much you can do about it.
Online games are always better, unless there are loads of tactical missions or extras to find from solo modes, multiplayer is always best.

consoles: don't really play my N64 much anymore, only when my mates come round, but i'm trying to get them to get Network cards on their PCs so soon we'll be playing multiplayer on PCs instead (much better)

best console for multiplayer = GBA. It damn well is! especially on Doom and Ecs Vs Server
Wed 27/02/02 at 16:47
intresting so far reasons for both pc and consoles but what do the rest of you think.
Tue 26/02/02 at 22:48
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
When I play games on PC, I have this constant worry that the game will crash and hours of play and progress will have gone to waste.

I think consoles are the better when it comes to games although the PC has always had the edge when it comes to the online option. Now that consoles are getting online capabilities it shouldn't be long before they finally have the larger appeal over PC.

Consoles such as the Dreamcast only really offered 4 player games online though, so there wasn't a great deal of difference between playing online and having friends over, besides the variety of competition of course.

The X-Box however offers games where a lot more players will be able to work together or battle. The best thing about online gaming in my opinion on PC is the fact you can have large teams of players battling in clans, etc.

Now that the X-Box has brought this to the console world, things can only get better as far as online gaming on consoles goes. I think consoles are more reliable than PC's when it comes to games. Yes occasionally you might get unlucky and a game will crash, but its a rare event compared to the PC.

There are games on PC that I'd love to see come to consoles, especially the likes of strategy games such as Red Alert 2. It would be nice to see certain peripherals come out for consoles too. For strategy games on PC you can purchase a mouse that has several buttons for you to navigate around the game with minimal use of a keyboard (think one is called the commander or something).

Anyway overall, I tend to stick to consoles for games. But at the same time, PC's still have that area where consoles are lacking until Microsoft can hopefully change this.
Tue 26/02/02 at 21:42
Regular
Serious Sam games are good, they go back to the good old days of Doom with just non stop mindless killing.
Tue 26/02/02 at 20:45
Regular
serious sam 2 a good game. hmmmmmmmmm.....let me see so you think that jagged edges unintelligent mindleess gameplay which isnt even to challenging for a five year old makes a good pc game?

think again boblin that was a bad example to use. and yes there are several god pc games hence i said the word SOME pc games are slow.
Tue 26/02/02 at 20:00
Regular
"¬_¬"
For good fun with multiplayer and casual gaming, consoles are good. Switch em on, and you're away with up to 4 players.

PC games are great for the genres which it is good for. Shooters, Strategy and Role-Playing are what PC is for. Because it has keyboard and mouse. Civilization could never be carried out well on a console.

PC is also great for immersive play. Hardcore gamers are unanimous in that console and PC are great for gaming, for their different reasons.
Tue 26/02/02 at 19:57
grumpyboyquinton wrote:
> well im afraid it has to be a console for me. pc games generally fail my
> expectations of a game and SOME of them are seriously tediously slow

That's cos you are crap at them!!! If you actually TRIED to play a PC game properly (e.g. serious sam 2) you would see that they are actually decent games. You are too used to that crappy Ps2 controller of yours.
Tue 26/02/02 at 19:43
Regular
well im afraid it has to be a console for me. pc games generally fail my expectations of a game and SOME of them are seriously tediously slow
Tue 26/02/02 at 18:10
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
sorry, i'd go for a PC, wouldn't be the same twisted boring kid without one, plays game, makes music, homework, watch films, chat here, plays games and loads of other useless things, consoles are very limited, although I love playing my N64 it costs loads for new games, so no new challenge.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.