GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Who's getting an X-Box then?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/02/02 at 12:44
Regular
Well, at launch. Which is... two weeks tommorrow.

And what are you going to pick up with it?
Wed 27/02/02 at 13:26
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
I ain't getting one. But if for some reason I decided to, then I'd get Halo and WWF Raw, once it was out. Maybe Amped and Project Gotham.
Wed 27/02/02 at 11:28
I've compiled the following through SR pricing.

XBox
1 Official Controller
1 Third Party Controller
DVD Playback Kit
Halo
Dead or Alive 3
Project Gotham
£471.97
(built in hd, built in broadband, built in dvd)

Gamecube
2 Official Controllers
1 Official Memory Card
Star Wars
Super Smash Bros Melee
Pikmin
£310.97
(no hd, broadband and 56k available extra, no dvd unless on Q)

PS2
2 Controllers
1 15mb Memory Card
DVD Remote Control
GTA3
Pro Evo Soccer
MGS2
£348.95
(no hd but soon avail, net ready, poor dvd)

Dreamcast
Great console, cheap, deserved better hehe
Wed 27/02/02 at 11:08
To the person below...Cube does have online options.

Luckily for me I have dvd separate and on my pc too.

If i was to ever get a console dvd player then it would be the Gamecube in Q form from Panasonic. Supposedly the best quality dvd on any console in the world...and if it is released outside of Japan (sadly doubtful) you can expect to pay £250 ish. Good pictures showing off the features here - http://www.coremagazine.com/news/5375.php3 Note the modem AND broadband openings on the bottom of the case. Fact that you don't have to pay £30 to activate the dvd functionality *cough*xbox*cough* and that is supports the excellent DTS sound format.

As for the Box. Some of the games look kool - Halo the main example. But its not really my cup of tea to be honest. If one of my mates buys one I wouldn't mind having a blast but I cant see too many of them paying that sort of price!
Wed 27/02/02 at 10:51
Regular
400 quid you are kidding.
Wed 27/02/02 at 01:50
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I'm ok as far as the broadband goes. :-) My Dad works for BT so I get free installation WooHoo !

As for the price of X-Box, the whinging is getting boring now. PS2 was £300 for the same basic thing when it came out. Also, it didn't have a hard drive like the X-Box.

The Gamecube, yes its gonna be around £160, but at the same time it hasn't got any option to play DVD's, no hard drive, no options for online play.

Wouldn't mind so much if this was the first console to have a £300 price tag but its not !
Both PS1 and PS2 were £300 when they arrived. Nintendo had the cheek to slap a £250 price tag on the N64 when it arrived and you couldn't even get a demo with it cause it was cartridge, so you had to fork out another £60 for a game.

Of course the systems are down in price now, but no doubt the X-Box will also hit this stage at some point, all consoles do.
Tue 26/02/02 at 23:52
Regular
"relocated"
Grix Thraves wrote:

> And what are you going to pick up with it?

I've always found that carrying a console round with you - even a new one - doesn't have the effect on the 'ladies' you might expect. The first time I tried this - I believe it was with one of those nought-and-crosses playing mainframes - the girl of my dreams crossed the street to avoid me. Take my advice: don't try to up pick up anything with an X-Box - use something more reliable like a souped up ford capri.
Tue 26/02/02 at 23:38
Regular
Ah, but the normal dial up modem should become a thing of the past V.soon. Microsoft are thinking of the future with the broadband adapter. Especially since BT announced today they are dropping thier prices for broadband.
Tue 26/02/02 at 23:22
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
Samos wrote:
> Fingers crossed, I'll get an X-box with DOA3 and Halo!

I'm thinking of
> waiting till the price drops to about two hundred, but I'm afraid that'll be
> another year at least - and I don't want to wait.

Waiting sucks!

no Xbox sucks

£300 JUST for console and controller

And it doesn;t have modem

Adn you have to buy soething extra from microsoft to play dvds on it.
Tue 26/02/02 at 20:42
I'll probably be getting one for Christmas, by which time I hope that the price has dropped to £199.99. Being the cheapskate that I am, I hardly buy anything brand new, and wait until it comes down cheap, and snap up a bunch of bargains in one go.

Hey - it's my entire philosophy :0)
Tue 26/02/02 at 20:22
Regular
"360: swfcman"
I have never really intended to get one. The games havnt really impressed me all that much and so ill stick to my PS2 and PC for now, after all there is more than enough gaming options with these, not to mention my new GBA.

Might get a GC though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.