GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Windows Xp-Not stable"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 06/12/02 at 23:03
Regular
Ive had windows xp for about 5month, at first it was fast,but now its just so so slow,and everythin has an error, so i installed me,had no problems ever since
Mon 16/12/02 at 20:16
ËÏi†è ¢h@ø$ wrote:
> Duh! Gawd, use linux, or if you HAVE to use a windows, use windows
> 99se.

Use Linux? I use Linux 70% of the time I'm using my primary home computer (for Internet browsing, sending e-mails, typing-up homework, designing webpages, programming in Python, etc) but I'm into PC gaming and when it comes to games Linux can't rival Windows - yet. There are some good games for Linux like Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament 2003 but most modern games are only released for Windows and require Microsoft DirectX. Whilst I could try to play some of these games using a Windows emulator in Linux, I'd rather just dual-boot my computer with Windows 2000 because it's a much simpler solution and makes it far easier for me to play Internet and local network games. Windows 98SE isn't a particularly bloated version of Windows and it's semi-reliable but when I absolutely have to use Windows I go for Windows 2000 because it has far better memory management than Windows 98SE and it's less crash-prone, in my experience.

-Hodgo.
Mon 16/12/02 at 19:05
Regular
"I see you"
I've got Windows XP Professional Edition and it's crap, i used to have Windows ME and all my games played brilliantly on that but i'm only able to play half of them now, as Windows XP rejects my old drivers for the ones it provides.

"why buy the cow when you can get the sex for free"
Mon 16/12/02 at 19:00
Regular
"Unretired"
Duh! Gawd, use linux, or if you HAVE to use a windows, use windows 99se.
Mon 16/12/02 at 18:55
I personally prefer Windows 2000 over Windows XP. Windows 2000 offers all the same security features and backwards compatibility features as Windows XP Professional but without the "bloat" - Windows 2000 doesn't include features like the linking accounts with .NET Passports, the tight integration of Windows Messenger and irritating things like Windows Product Activation, which forces you to call Microsoft if you ever change more than a couple of pieces of hardware or if you reinstall Windows. Windows 2000 also doesn't have the childish default blue and green rounded-windows interface of XP and the new Start Menu which dominates the desktop,

Windows 2000 is just as stable as Windows XP, if not more stable, and much quicker (because there are fewer unnecessary system services started by default which hog memory).

-Hodgo.
Mon 09/12/02 at 23:26
Regular
"lei fang!!!!!"
thats what I do
Mon 09/12/02 at 23:12
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
...Which makes me think:

Why has this forum still got windows tagged on the end of it? I know it's Microsoft, but most people in the web forum would know a lot more than people here about windows.

Everyone knows if you want a PC question answered, you ask it in the web forum. Right?
Mon 09/12/02 at 17:39
Regular
"ProGolfer"
WHy didnt you uninstall it and then reinstall it?
Mon 09/12/02 at 10:52
Regular
"Tag as above"
ftozzi wrote:
> Ive had windows xp for about 5month, at first it was fast,but now its
> just so so slow,and everythin has an error, so i installed me,had no
> problems ever since

The clue to your problems is in the text....

"at first it was fast,but now its just so so slow,and everythin has an error"

You thibk it did that all on its own?
Mon 09/12/02 at 01:38
Regular
"How Handy."
Well, their last tactic was writing "Please do not copy this software" on the CDs, so I see this as a large step forward..
Sun 08/12/02 at 22:57
Regular
"everyone says it"
Tóm wrote:
> Click the 'is this copy of windows legal?' button.
>
> Ah, go on.
>
> Please?
>

What a bloody joke that is.

Because as if any person who didn't buy it legit would click.

ROFL! Microsoft's new way of catching illegal copies is asking and saying please... :-D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.