GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Binge & Purge"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/02/02 at 01:32
Regular
I want a new game.
Something I haven't played before.
I don't mean a new game to buy, I mean I want someone out there, a developer somewhere, to use that knotted cord of cells in his skull to be original and create something new.

It can't be that hard, we have a limitless imagination and can dream of other worlds and conjure gods.
So why then, can I get a racing game, a fighting game, or a jumpy about collecting things game?

There's a game called Rez, doesn't interest me but at least it's something new.
Same with Parappa the Rappa, it was odd but totally different.
I don't want to guide some large-breasted Indiana Jones wannabe around some dusty levels for no point.
I don't want to have a fighting game where different characters beat the tar out of each other.
Is it just me?
Am I the only one that stares at the shelves and sees loads and loads of game boxes, but only about 4 different types of game within?
Sure, the graphics are different, but it's the same bloody thing over and over.

Wolfenstein & Medal of Honour are good games.
But they're the same as Half-Life, which is the same as Doom.
GTA3 is a good game, but it's the same as Driver and the same as Target Renegade.
Sure, it looks better and stuff but it's the same clunky, wheezing ideas being trotted out time and time again.

Ecco The Dolphin.
Not my sort of game (I think) but at least it's different.
Same with Microsoft Train Simulator - I can't think why anyone would want to buy that (I got it gratis, as a joke from some punk here), but it's a break from the norm.

So why is it so hard for developers to think outside the box?
"People buy these sorts of games, they sell"
Well hey Activision/whoever, if all you serve is one food then of course people are going to eat it, because they don't have any choice.

Give us the chance to experience something new, it may work or it may not, but for chrissakes, put some effort into it would you?
Stop vomiting up the same old ideas but putting shinier game engines on it and counting the cash.
And we can do our part as consumners - just don't buy the games you know are the same old stuff.
Film License games.
They always bring 'em out and they always, always suck.
So who buys them?
Stop buying and the developers will start having to think.

Say what you like about Black and White (and sometimes I hate it, other times I love it), but it was a new game, a new style and totally original stuff for you to play around with.
Doesn't matter if you liked it or not, it was a breath of fresh air in an otherwise fetid dungeon of samey titles all vying for your hard-earned.

But what am I saying, you're all creaming for Metal Gear Solid 2.
Yeah, it looks nice.
Yeah, you can hide in lockers but it's exactly the same as before, there is nothing different here. It's just newer.
Tue 26/02/02 at 10:01
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I agree with you Goatboy but also see it from the other side too. Think of the risks if they don't get it right (I know it would be their fault but is the risk too much to take)
Most developers stick to something they know works, or base their idea to something that has done well. It is a big industry and making a mistake could cost a developer everything.
I think it all comes down to poor marketing if anything, not really finding out what the gamers want, just making a product that is similar to something which has done well and hoping that the marketing team can sell it in a clever way.

Why don't they do more to ask gamers what we want in games? Surely it can't be that hard?
Tue 26/02/02 at 09:57
"High polygon count"
Well, just because a game isn't original, doesn't mean it can't be excellent. I know that's not what Goaty was saying, but I just thought it's a point that should be made.

I suppose, ultimately, this issue *could* be the downfall of the industry (although not in the foreseeable future) - people will eventually get tired of all of the existing game genres, and they simply won't sell.

Hopefully before that time arrives we will see either:

a) a change in thinking within the industry, whereby they're not afraid to try something new and inventive with the majority of their new titles.

b) another change in gaming technology.

The jump from 2D to 3D, particularly in the home, pretty much amazed everyone, as it happened fairly quickly. Now though, each new machine is simply adding to what we already have - more polygons, better sound etc. But there is no major change in the gameplay available, and every time someone does release a new and original style of game, that's one less out there for someone else to think of, which just makes it harder.

I don't think there will be many more truly original game styles until there is another major change in game technology. There's only so much you can give to a user through the medium of a flat 2D screen. I think it will take some kind of VR system to usher in the next major changes in games, which in turn will open up new avenues for developers to explore.

This isn't a knock at Goatboy's post, but it is interesting that very few people who post comments on the lack of originality ever actually post original ideas of their own and say "why doesn't someone make this?" If it's that easy to be original, try coming up with ideas yourself - maybe even send them to a few game companies. You never know!
Tue 26/02/02 at 09:40
Regular
"smile, it's free"
"that Nobody* has tried since"
Tue 26/02/02 at 09:38
Regular
"smile, it's free"
There were plenty of original games back in the day, that bobody has tried since.

Here's one in particular that you wouldn't like ;)

Dark Sceptre on the Spectrum. It was sort of like a medieval RPG management game, if you follow. Basically you gave orders to various individuals, telling them what tasks they should achieve. Tell your Thane (that's a king, for those of you who haven't had an education) to seek the golden crown, or tell your mystic to curse Umbarg's Reaper, excellent beardy stuff like that. Then watch them all get killed because the games was horribly difficult.
Tue 26/02/02 at 07:21
...that's Jet Set Radio, for us Brits. I do agree, however, that the PS2 needs a boost of original games. They're getting off on the right foot with Rez and Parappa The Rappa 2, but it will take more to get that originality that the alternative gamer yearns for. I'm not too bothered about getting these "original" games, as I tend to take a dislike to them. Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that I like the same old game re-hashed over and over again, but that I prefer to stick to a tried and tested formula that works, and not one that CAN (not always!) be sloppy. Some original games are great, though. Look at Parappa The Rappa and apparently, Rez.
Tue 26/02/02 at 03:24
We need a game like jet grind radio on ps2 :D
Tue 26/02/02 at 01:45
Regular
"relocated"
It seems to me that as the gaming industry gets bigger and bigger the creativity of it gets squeezed out. So on the one hand you've got these huge production budgets, but on the other all this money is wasted making cutscenes for for some fourth-rate sequel.

Part of the problem is that gaming has become so mainstream: when your products are being mass-marketed, and sold in Virgin Megastores, then the temptation to appeal to the lowest common denominator is irresistible. Plus, once you've spent all your cash on tv ads and buying shelf space from EB, you're absolutely desperate to break even. So how do you do that? Stick with an idea that's worked for you or for someone else before. If we weren't saddled with this corporate culture I think we'd get cheaper (no ridiculous licenses, movie tie-ins, extravagant product launches) and more original games.

What a relief it would be for developers to not have to pitch a game by saying 'well, it's like X crossed with Y'. Fewer sequels, more originality: the campaign starts here!
Tue 26/02/02 at 01:32
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I want a new game.
Something I haven't played before.
I don't mean a new game to buy, I mean I want someone out there, a developer somewhere, to use that knotted cord of cells in his skull to be original and create something new.

It can't be that hard, we have a limitless imagination and can dream of other worlds and conjure gods.
So why then, can I get a racing game, a fighting game, or a jumpy about collecting things game?

There's a game called Rez, doesn't interest me but at least it's something new.
Same with Parappa the Rappa, it was odd but totally different.
I don't want to guide some large-breasted Indiana Jones wannabe around some dusty levels for no point.
I don't want to have a fighting game where different characters beat the tar out of each other.
Is it just me?
Am I the only one that stares at the shelves and sees loads and loads of game boxes, but only about 4 different types of game within?
Sure, the graphics are different, but it's the same bloody thing over and over.

Wolfenstein & Medal of Honour are good games.
But they're the same as Half-Life, which is the same as Doom.
GTA3 is a good game, but it's the same as Driver and the same as Target Renegade.
Sure, it looks better and stuff but it's the same clunky, wheezing ideas being trotted out time and time again.

Ecco The Dolphin.
Not my sort of game (I think) but at least it's different.
Same with Microsoft Train Simulator - I can't think why anyone would want to buy that (I got it gratis, as a joke from some punk here), but it's a break from the norm.

So why is it so hard for developers to think outside the box?
"People buy these sorts of games, they sell"
Well hey Activision/whoever, if all you serve is one food then of course people are going to eat it, because they don't have any choice.

Give us the chance to experience something new, it may work or it may not, but for chrissakes, put some effort into it would you?
Stop vomiting up the same old ideas but putting shinier game engines on it and counting the cash.
And we can do our part as consumners - just don't buy the games you know are the same old stuff.
Film License games.
They always bring 'em out and they always, always suck.
So who buys them?
Stop buying and the developers will start having to think.

Say what you like about Black and White (and sometimes I hate it, other times I love it), but it was a new game, a new style and totally original stuff for you to play around with.
Doesn't matter if you liked it or not, it was a breath of fresh air in an otherwise fetid dungeon of samey titles all vying for your hard-earned.

But what am I saying, you're all creaming for Metal Gear Solid 2.
Yeah, it looks nice.
Yeah, you can hide in lockers but it's exactly the same as before, there is nothing different here. It's just newer.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.