GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"getting all emotional"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/02/02 at 01:10
Regular
Right, my thought for the day is this: for a game to be truly brilliant it has to tweak your emotions. I don't just mean the cheesy RPG device of killing off your entire family in the first cut-scene, because frankly I could care less. But a game that makes you FEEL without telling you to do so is something else.

Obviously there is a whole spectrum of emotions that video-gaming can cause. There's the pedestrian ones: being scared of Silent Hill; the thirst for revenge of Max Payne; curiosity as to what your next secret costume will be in Tekken. But I'm interested in the big ones: love and hate.

Only the best - and worst - designed videogames manage to inspire hatred of your opponents. Two examples of this are enough:

(1) The brilliant MarioKart. Playing this game on 150cc can seriously up your blood pressure. And when you're pipped at the post in the deciding race, a volley of heartfelt curses gets directed at that damnable monkey. It's always the monkey: I hate him

(2) The flawed Streetfighter 2 on Super Nintendo. This otherwise fantastic game was marred by serious imbalances in character strengths. I don't mind admitting that being defeated by the outrageously powerful Vega for the millionth billionth time almost led to the old SNES commiting what we might call 'assisted suicide' out of my bedroom window. The anguish that game caused me...

I'll post my experiences of love and computer games tomorrow. In the meantime what highs and lows of emotion has gaming pushed others to?
Thu 28/02/02 at 19:25
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Well done, two Gad's in two days is not bad going at all.
Thu 28/02/02 at 11:52
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
*scratches head*

Yeah well done.

*Looks again*
Thu 28/02/02 at 11:46
Regular
Well done on the GAD, it just shows that it quality, not quantity
Thu 28/02/02 at 11:46
Regular
"I love Dave music"
SWOS - you're 1-0 up in the cup final, as a massive underdog, then the opposition forward decided you aren't allowed to win, and scores from a ridiculous position, while your keeper wonders off the pitch for a cup of tea. Two minutes later, said striker decides to do it again, normally allowing the ball to bounce 14 times, rolling to your keeper at 2mph, who then decided to dive, push it 3 prds away, allowing an opposition striker to knock the ball into an empty net.

Damn computer.
Tue 26/02/02 at 07:31
To me, a competitive game could never be emotional, because in my view, they are intended to be looked at with a brighter side than a single player action shooter such as Metal Gear Solid or Max Payne.

Metal Gear Solid is the most thought provoking game I have played, for the pure reason of the ending and the meaning of life that not only the ending but the entire game presents to the player.
Tue 26/02/02 at 01:46
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
Yes Vega was actually and he was a he, you can now go ahead in concenrating on beating on Vega with out any doubt over his sexuality.

No longer will you think, he will never have kids now because of that fireball or did that low blow really hurt him? He got up awfully quick.

Anyway I thought it was obvious Vega was a man.

It's Cammy I'm worried about
Tue 26/02/02 at 01:26
Regular
"relocated"
The other thing with Vega was that I could never decide if he/she was a man or a woman. This sort of thing can really distract a fellow when he's trying to knock seven shades of hell out of something. Was Vega in the film version? I never saw it (too much taste you see).
Tue 26/02/02 at 01:21
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
I know, Sagat was easier than Vega.

Although a well timed Dragon Punch from Ryu would sort him out.

A game that got me using love or hate, well I loved Zelda but I suppose I felt hate for those stupidly fast git spaceships you used to find on those old scrolling space shoot em ups you often see at arcades.

I suppose that's because I would have to pay for another go though.

:0)
Tue 26/02/02 at 01:10
Regular
"relocated"
Right, my thought for the day is this: for a game to be truly brilliant it has to tweak your emotions. I don't just mean the cheesy RPG device of killing off your entire family in the first cut-scene, because frankly I could care less. But a game that makes you FEEL without telling you to do so is something else.

Obviously there is a whole spectrum of emotions that video-gaming can cause. There's the pedestrian ones: being scared of Silent Hill; the thirst for revenge of Max Payne; curiosity as to what your next secret costume will be in Tekken. But I'm interested in the big ones: love and hate.

Only the best - and worst - designed videogames manage to inspire hatred of your opponents. Two examples of this are enough:

(1) The brilliant MarioKart. Playing this game on 150cc can seriously up your blood pressure. And when you're pipped at the post in the deciding race, a volley of heartfelt curses gets directed at that damnable monkey. It's always the monkey: I hate him

(2) The flawed Streetfighter 2 on Super Nintendo. This otherwise fantastic game was marred by serious imbalances in character strengths. I don't mind admitting that being defeated by the outrageously powerful Vega for the millionth billionth time almost led to the old SNES commiting what we might call 'assisted suicide' out of my bedroom window. The anguish that game caused me...

I'll post my experiences of love and computer games tomorrow. In the meantime what highs and lows of emotion has gaming pushed others to?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.