GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How did the british media come to be so..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 28/09/07 at 14:07
"Was the man of marz"
Lowbrow! Was it influenced by some other country, or is it a monster all of its own making? Personally I see it as the one thing that's truly shameful about this country. Be it through the printed press or television networks, they all seem to sensationalise for pure profit. Papers print stories based on little or no fact, and very rarely have libel action taken against them.

TV corporations purposely hype up stories, hoping that they can stir people into contacting them, then advertise their premium rate services. As a further sour note, this is also true of publicly funded corporations, who seem just as willing to take part in these unsavoury antics. All this before you even begin looking at the role private companies play in ripping people off.

I’m not saying propaganda is always wrong, as it has been proven an asset during wartime, although it does raise one startling question; are we the enemy? Is big business well aware that people are at their most vulnerable (and profitable) when they are scared and confused, therefore this constant barrage of speculation is there to serve a purpose.

Have you every asked yourself why the media is so quiet during the late summer months, when all of our members of parliament are on holiday? I don’t for a second believe in a mass conspiracy, in fact I’m almost certain the current climate has been created by the everyday people, but isn’t it wrong for those with power to prey on this insecurity and weakness?
Fri 28/09/07 at 14:07
"Was the man of marz"
Lowbrow! Was it influenced by some other country, or is it a monster all of its own making? Personally I see it as the one thing that's truly shameful about this country. Be it through the printed press or television networks, they all seem to sensationalise for pure profit. Papers print stories based on little or no fact, and very rarely have libel action taken against them.

TV corporations purposely hype up stories, hoping that they can stir people into contacting them, then advertise their premium rate services. As a further sour note, this is also true of publicly funded corporations, who seem just as willing to take part in these unsavoury antics. All this before you even begin looking at the role private companies play in ripping people off.

I’m not saying propaganda is always wrong, as it has been proven an asset during wartime, although it does raise one startling question; are we the enemy? Is big business well aware that people are at their most vulnerable (and profitable) when they are scared and confused, therefore this constant barrage of speculation is there to serve a purpose.

Have you every asked yourself why the media is so quiet during the late summer months, when all of our members of parliament are on holiday? I don’t for a second believe in a mass conspiracy, in fact I’m almost certain the current climate has been created by the everyday people, but isn’t it wrong for those with power to prey on this insecurity and weakness?
Fri 28/09/07 at 14:34
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Marzman wrote:
> Is big business well aware that
> people are at their most vulnerable (and profitable) when they
> are scared and confused, therefore this constant barrage of
> speculation is there to serve a purpose.

I think thats a difficult point to argue. Happy and content people spend money, those that are scared and confused do not. Yes of course there are certain sectors that can thrive in uncertainty (eg insurance) but for the vast majority of big business they want happy consumers spending all their wealth.

> Have you every asked yourself why the media is so quiet during
> the late summer months, when all of our members of parliament
> are on holiday?

I'm not sure what you expect? The reality is that quite a large portion of our daily news is political in nature. So surely its entirely reasonable that when that element is absent theres going to be something of a void.
Fri 28/09/07 at 14:43
"nope"
Marzman wrote:
> ...
> those with power to prey on this insecurity and weakness?

hehe you are part of a deliberate marketing experiment.

If you do not think about it then everything is fine.

So just enjoy your coffee otherwise it all becomes a bit insulting as you start to find out that someone is pulling your strings and ultimately you do not have a choice.
Fri 28/09/07 at 15:09
"Was the man of marz"
iggvopvantoodlewin wrote:
> hehe you are part of a deliberate marketing experiment.
>
> If you do not think about it then everything is fine.
>
> So just enjoy your coffee otherwise it all becomes a bit
> insulting as you start to find out that someone is pulling your
> strings and ultimately you do not have a choice.

Unfortunately not (I do actually think like this). Also ignorance may be bliss, but as I’m mildly informed, I’ll give it a miss. As for coffee yuk, and although our proverbial strings are being pulled, surely it wouldn’t be that hard to turn round and cut them?

Garin, I have to disagree with your opinion that happy and content people spend money, whilst scared and confused people do not. Scared people are more likely to buy out of impulse, and that incorporates the confused that will do so on credit (which is good for business). Content individuals are by definition content, and isn’t happiness a fleeting emotion?

That’s however a very good point on how much of our news is based on politics. I sometimes forget the un-elected still have a voice, and that they're all sorts of think tanks which also like to make a lot of noise, but I guess that our democracy for you. :/ It’s interesting how the late summer media void is normally filled by a missing child(s), but it is when most people are on their summer holidays though.
Fri 28/09/07 at 15:41
"nope"
Marzman wrote:
> ...

Sorry you seem to be provoked I did not hope that you would take my jovial posting seriously.

I have sometimes seen news presenters tap their papers on the desk and say something like "and that is all the news this lunch time so we are leaving you early". Followed then by some 10 minute cam corder diary about how long they have been collecting postage gnomes or a 5 minute cartoon.

Was your last comment about the Madeline thing?
Fri 28/09/07 at 15:51
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Marzman wrote:
> Garin, I have to disagree with your opinion that happy and
> content people spend money, whilst scared and confused people do
> not. Scared people are more likely to buy out of impulse, and
> that incorporates the confused that will do so on credit (which
> is good for business). Content individuals are by definition
> content, and isn’t happiness a fleeting emotion?

Ok question for you...
July 7th 2005, a series of bombs hit the london underground. Why did the stock market drop dramatically? Why did consumer spending take a hit as well? Under your assumptions, consumer spending should be up and the stock market should be bullish in anticipation of extra consumer spending.

Consumer confidence is based upon stability and certainty. This isnt my opinion, its well established economic theory. Situations that create fear and uncertainty dent consumer confidence which sooner or later has a knock on effect with spending.
Fri 28/09/07 at 16:15
"nope"
It just occurred to me that Mars Bars are supposed to burn hot for a long time because of their energy content. Would they make a good coal substitute in times of war?
Fri 28/09/07 at 16:20
Regular
"Blood on my suit"
No.

And the reason is british are evil. Didn't you know that?
Fri 28/09/07 at 16:32
"Was the man of marz"
iggvopvantoodlewin wrote:
> Sorry you seem to be provoked I did not hope that you would take
> my jovial posting seriously.
>
> I have sometimes seen news presenters tap their papers on the
> desk and say something like "and that is all the news this
> lunch time so we are leaving you early". Followed then by
> some 10 minute cam corder diary about how long they have been
> collecting postage gnomes or a 5 minute cartoon.
>
> Was your last comment about the Madeline thing?

I wasn’t provoked, and i also apologise if that’s how I came across. My final comment was mainly about the two girls that where murdered by Ian Huntley (annoying how the murderer becomes better known than the victims), and how initially the search for them drew some comparisons with the Madeline story, yes.

Garin, are you seriously using a (so far) once in a lifetime event, like the London bombings, as evidence for a conversation based on generalisations? Most of us where checking if our loved ones where ok, and I personally had a family member heading up to Kings cross, a good friend heading down and I actually knew one person who died during that explosion…

So to de-personalise this; I’d use the example of this summers dip in the stock market. Uncertainty in the banking sector caused instability in the share market, but this only affected everyday people whom where with the Northern Rock, due to their own fears. So with this uncertainty why hasn’t consumer spending been dented? People are just as confident taking out credit against the advice of others. So where is this well-established economic theory being played out?
Fri 28/09/07 at 17:39
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
Marzman wrote:
> That’s however a very good point on how much of our news is
> based on politics. I sometimes forget the un-elected still have
> a voice, and that they're all sorts of think tanks which also
> like to make a lot of noise, but I guess that our democracy for
> you. :/

Of course much of the news is based on politics, a lot of daily life goes straight back to politics! Everything we do in life to some extent is governed by politicans making decisions so it's only natural for the media to show the links from new stories to politics, whether it's because a particular policy is being acted upon or whether a politican is giving their opinion on an event in the news. Members of the public also get involved in the news too, it's not like there's a complete censorship where only politicans can make statements and give their opinions on things!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.