GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Grand Prix 4"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 25/02/02 at 13:04
Regular
Okay, in my opinion, Grand Prix 3 was just the same as the previous two just with better graphics and different tracks, cars etc.

So, what would improve Grand Prix 4? I would like to see something like Grand Prix Manager mixed in. I'll explain.

You've got your racing and that's fine. Now how about giving us three different options, Driver, Driver/Manager, Manager? Putting a Grand Prix Manager style into the Grand Prix series, the car would be easier to set up, you could make modifications to make your car faster, you will struggle to drive your car if the car stinks.

The set up option could be handled better. I'm a big F1 fan but I don't have much of a clue on how to set up the car. How about on using the different difficulty levels to teach the players how to set up the car?

The good thing about having the driver career is that you can move teams depending on how good you are. I was also thinking about having a testing section to the career game but that could be a little tedious. Perhaps a F3000 season?

The management side should be better handled. A huge selection of drivers should be made available and a wide variety of sponsers should be made available. These sponsers would also change the car livery.

The gripe I had with Grand Prix 3 is that after one season, what is there to do? A continuous racer with driver changes and car changes would benefit most Grand Prix fans.

What do you think to these possible ideas?
Fri 10/05/02 at 13:59
Regular
"bing bang bong"
I would like to see them not use the same #!$%ing game engine they used in Grand Prix 2 (LO GP3). Features they need to iron out/include:

*Redo the rendering engine so polygons don't tear left, right and centre. It wasn't acceptable in GP3, and it won't be acceptable now.

*Redo the handling, so you actually notice when you have a crap car that is handling like a pig. Maybe keep the same handling routines from GP3/GP2, but introduced a variety of instabilities proportional to how much of a dog the car you're driving is. And take out that stupid feature that decides halfway through a corner "thou hast spun", and makes you do a full 180 even though you have opposite lock applied and are only doing 25mph. And the ability to do a 3-point turn without being forced to spinturn would be cool too.

*Ramp up the AI so it's not apparant you're racing against the computer all the time. Maybe introduce variations for different drivers.

*Somehow convince Jacques Villeneuve to let his name be used in the final product!

*UPDATE THE SUSPENSION MENU THEY STOPPED USING PACKERS IN 1996

*The safety car

*The ability to do manual pitstops (see Brews post)

*More varieties of car breakages

*I WUDD LIEK TO PLAY ON TEH INTARNET WIHT MY FRENDS!!:@!;11

*Put in some really rare, cool easter eggs, like naked people running across the track every 100 races or so, or one of those Jets they always have at the Australian Grand Prix crashing into the end of the pitlane or something.

Lots of other cool things. Don't dissapoint me Crammond, I'm won a copy of this on Gameaday and I expect great things :O|
Wed 08/05/02 at 22:05
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
The SR review said that there is advice on car setups. Perhaps they are learning after all...
Sat 06/04/02 at 18:26
I think you're right about the "what is there to do at the end of the season?" question. I don't understand why they can't include of a couple of earlier seasons and therefore have a kind of "career mode" where you can get offers from other teams etc... It wouldn't be that hard to do, surely?

Over on the main GP3 chat forums (www.grandprix3.com) there's a lot of frustration over fears that GP4 isn't going to be enough of a step forward from previous incarnations of Grand Prix 3. Recently the production leader for the game admitted that due to time limitations there will be no stop/go penalties, satefy cars or even the pre-race "installation lap" which would surely be a very simple addition yet go some way to giving a more realistic, atmospheric experience.

The revamped pit crews will feature, however, and there are some nice screenshots of little 3D men scampering over the exquisitely-detailed new GP4 models. The graphics engine looks a hell of a lot better, as do the in-game TV-style graphics.

What is also good is that each car will have its own individual 3D model, rather than one generic model for each car as in GP3 / GP3-2000. As usual the physics model will probably be awesome, especially as they've been working in conjunction with the Arrows F1 team.

I wouldn't be as hasty to pre-emptively write off the new Grand Prix game as some of the more die-hard fans appear to be doing on other forums, but there are many areas for addition that I think have been sadly overlooked. However, as with previous version of Grand Prix its' extensive fan base and modifications community are bound to build upon whatever Geoff Crammond ultimately serves up.
Wed 20/03/02 at 17:23
Regular
Same as it was before mate.

Just with a stupid coloured name. It still looks weird to me...
Wed 20/03/02 at 13:25
Regular
"Stud-muffin!!"
Spose so, I hadnt really thought about that.

Howz life as a big bold Noty anyway YH?
Wed 20/03/02 at 13:24
Regular
Check out:

http://www.f1gamer.co.uk/gp4/

For all the info.
Wed 20/03/02 at 13:21
Regular
I don't want commentary in my game.

You wouldn't be able to hear it when you're in the car driving, so I don't want to hear it.

But in GP4 you can now hear all the other cars engines, which you couldn't before, and you have radio messages from yourpit-crew.

So if there's an accident ahead, or oil on the track etc, they apparently tell you over the radio.

Cool!
Wed 20/03/02 at 13:18
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
They do have different characteristics under computer control. When you take control, you have the ability to win the race in whatever car you drive.
Wed 20/03/02 at 13:15
Regular
"Stud-muffin!!"
Decent commentary would be nice as well.
Like: Ohhhhhhhh yeeeeeesssssssssssssssssss
He taaaaaaaaaaakessssssssss the chequered flag
Heeeessssss offffffffffffffffffffffff
Wed 20/03/02 at 13:11
Regular
GP, I could be wrong on this as I haven't played GP3 for a while, but I thought that the cars did have different characteristics.

Eg, Minardi would always be slower in a straight line as they have less horse power etc, regardless of the set-up you have.

If that wasn't in, I think it definately should be for this game. That way you can set the difficulty yourself, i.e try to win the championship in a Jaguar or something.

The aspect of the game that real life performance would enhace would be the multiplayer (split screen for XBox, not sure if two or four player though...) as you could drive a BAR or something, while a less skilled friend could drive the Ferrari.

All in all, there are only a few areas they can improve, in my view. If there was a management aspect I personally wouldn't touch it, but I can understand that some people may like to see it.

So for me I'd like to see:

Tutorials to help set the car up.
Realistic performance of cars.
4 player split screen for XBox version.
Network play on XBox (16 players would rock!).
Decent pit crews i.e NOT 2D sprites.
Better graphics.
Up to date season data.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.