GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Grand Prix 4"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 25/02/02 at 13:04
Regular
Okay, in my opinion, Grand Prix 3 was just the same as the previous two just with better graphics and different tracks, cars etc.

So, what would improve Grand Prix 4? I would like to see something like Grand Prix Manager mixed in. I'll explain.

You've got your racing and that's fine. Now how about giving us three different options, Driver, Driver/Manager, Manager? Putting a Grand Prix Manager style into the Grand Prix series, the car would be easier to set up, you could make modifications to make your car faster, you will struggle to drive your car if the car stinks.

The set up option could be handled better. I'm a big F1 fan but I don't have much of a clue on how to set up the car. How about on using the different difficulty levels to teach the players how to set up the car?

The good thing about having the driver career is that you can move teams depending on how good you are. I was also thinking about having a testing section to the career game but that could be a little tedious. Perhaps a F3000 season?

The management side should be better handled. A huge selection of drivers should be made available and a wide variety of sponsers should be made available. These sponsers would also change the car livery.

The gripe I had with Grand Prix 3 is that after one season, what is there to do? A continuous racer with driver changes and car changes would benefit most Grand Prix fans.

What do you think to these possible ideas?
Mon 25/02/02 at 13:04
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Okay, in my opinion, Grand Prix 3 was just the same as the previous two just with better graphics and different tracks, cars etc.

So, what would improve Grand Prix 4? I would like to see something like Grand Prix Manager mixed in. I'll explain.

You've got your racing and that's fine. Now how about giving us three different options, Driver, Driver/Manager, Manager? Putting a Grand Prix Manager style into the Grand Prix series, the car would be easier to set up, you could make modifications to make your car faster, you will struggle to drive your car if the car stinks.

The set up option could be handled better. I'm a big F1 fan but I don't have much of a clue on how to set up the car. How about on using the different difficulty levels to teach the players how to set up the car?

The good thing about having the driver career is that you can move teams depending on how good you are. I was also thinking about having a testing section to the career game but that could be a little tedious. Perhaps a F3000 season?

The management side should be better handled. A huge selection of drivers should be made available and a wide variety of sponsers should be made available. These sponsers would also change the car livery.

The gripe I had with Grand Prix 3 is that after one season, what is there to do? A continuous racer with driver changes and car changes would benefit most Grand Prix fans.

What do you think to these possible ideas?
Tue 26/02/02 at 13:24
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I guess no one really cares. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
Wed 27/02/02 at 21:19
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
It seems that no one else has an opinion on my ideas. Strange, a lot of people seem to buy it. They obviously don't come on these forums.
Tue 19/03/02 at 18:33
Regular
Sorry I haven't read this earlier mate. The 'net connection at work cut out at lunchtime, so no access al afternoon.

Unfortunately I have to go out now. But now this is popped near the top, I shall read it when I get back and write a proper reply.

Sorry again!
Wed 20/03/02 at 10:11
Regular
Ah-ha, I can finally reply!

Right, what do I want to see in GP4?

Well, same as before basically, but maybe with split-screen multiplayer added. Oh, and decent pit crews as well.

I personally don't want to see the management side that you mentioned. Simply because I think I'd be crap at it. I like the driving, so that's all I want to do.

There are a few F1 management games around, if you want that sort of thing.

As for me not wanting any more than before, but maybe with better graphics, is becuase I feel the game is pretty damn spot on as it is.

The handling seems as realistic as it gets (obviously I haven't driven an F1 car, so I'm not 100% on this), the tracks are as accurate as you can get.

The only things they could improve on is to release an up-to-date version, they always seem to release a version that's a year or so old. Like this next game should be released in the summer, but it's based on last season.

Also, I agree that there could be a tutroial to help set up the car.

In previous games it was all described in the manual, but it could still be difficult to get it right. If they could add a tutorial in to help cover this, it would be great.

As for the length of the game, I take my hat off to anyone who can win the championship on the hardest difficulty level, even on short races! To get that good would take ages.

Here's to GP4!
Wed 20/03/02 at 12:52
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
As I said, management isn't everyones cup of tea so it should be an optional extra. I felt that after one season, nothing made me want to try a different difficulty level. Even if the new game had a setup tutorial which gives less advice the harder the level gets, I'll be happier.

I would prefer to see varying degrees of speed. If the car is bad, you race bad no matter how good your car setup is. That is why the management side would be a handy addition. It would add a different dimension and would let you or the computer build the car up to a decent team. This would mean that results are everything.
Wed 20/03/02 at 13:00
Regular
"Stud-muffin!!"
I want to be able to drive into the pits myself, including stopping at your correct place, maybe even an option to knock over your repair team. I don't like being controlled by the computer to the extent that it takes over driving for me.
Wed 20/03/02 at 13:11
Regular
GP, I could be wrong on this as I haven't played GP3 for a while, but I thought that the cars did have different characteristics.

Eg, Minardi would always be slower in a straight line as they have less horse power etc, regardless of the set-up you have.

If that wasn't in, I think it definately should be for this game. That way you can set the difficulty yourself, i.e try to win the championship in a Jaguar or something.

The aspect of the game that real life performance would enhace would be the multiplayer (split screen for XBox, not sure if two or four player though...) as you could drive a BAR or something, while a less skilled friend could drive the Ferrari.

All in all, there are only a few areas they can improve, in my view. If there was a management aspect I personally wouldn't touch it, but I can understand that some people may like to see it.

So for me I'd like to see:

Tutorials to help set the car up.
Realistic performance of cars.
4 player split screen for XBox version.
Network play on XBox (16 players would rock!).
Decent pit crews i.e NOT 2D sprites.
Better graphics.
Up to date season data.
Wed 20/03/02 at 13:15
Regular
"Stud-muffin!!"
Decent commentary would be nice as well.
Like: Ohhhhhhhh yeeeeeesssssssssssssssssss
He taaaaaaaaaaakessssssssss the chequered flag
Heeeessssss offffffffffffffffffffffff
Wed 20/03/02 at 13:18
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
They do have different characteristics under computer control. When you take control, you have the ability to win the race in whatever car you drive.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.