GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A matter of perspective"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 29/01/13 at 13:37
"possibly impossible"
There are many things we do each day which we don't even think about, but which might look strange to someone who isn't used to our culture.

Making a cup of tea, for instance, is really sticking a bunch of dead leaves in hot water. It's only a very slightly refined version of something we've been doing for thousands of years.

We can be skewed by our own perspective; eating a cow but not a horse. Finding ways to make money and yet baulking at those who may do it on a larger scale through the use of tax schemes in other countries. Even standing up to pee.

Think about your life and the things you take for granted, then try to see it through alien eyes, what would you consider strange?
Tue 05/02/13 at 13:48
"possibly impossible"
But from the perspective of the horse owner...

Nearing 200 posts, not bad!
Fri 01/02/13 at 12:43
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Maybe it's just my perspective but...

If I take my little rat-sized, mini-barely-classed-as- a-dog-cos-he'd-fit-in-your-pocket dog out for a walk, I have to take a bag and a scoop with me, and there's special bins that I can put any "used" bags in...

But if I own a horse...

Wonder what an "alien" would make of that?
Thu 31/01/13 at 23:43
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I wasnt actually talking about marriage specifically related to me or any plans. More general thoughts on trying to use logic in illogical situations.
Thu 31/01/13 at 22:30
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Just don't make it so complicated Nin ... if you are ready to marry your girlfriend, then marry her! There doesn't need to be any 'financial considerations, plans, agreements etc etc' ! All of these tend to detract from why you are marrying in the first place! Live your life for what you want, but marry without any thought of finance or the future for that matter!
Thu 31/01/13 at 22:09
Regular
"Monochromatic"
DL wrote:
Ahh so there could be a new edition to the Nin family :¬) But you're right in what you say ... long ago within the Hallowed Halls of Teaching there was a sacred saying ... 'you teach, how you were taught' ... and it is so true.

It won't be for a couple of years yet but my girlfriend has definitely caught full on baby fever. If it was just me than maybe I'd not quite feel ready but I'm lucky enough to have found an amazing woman.

Speaking of all things family and romance and getting back on topic.

Marriage is a bit of a strange one. The idea of legally tying yourself to someone for life instead of just being together? Tax breaks as a benefit? Don't even get me started on the religious aspect.
These things seem contradictory to the purpose of what I believe marriage should be about. An illogical ceremony with a meaning & purpose only to the people involved.
I prefer to think of it as a purely symbolic idea. I don't want the extras clouding the water.
Thu 31/01/13 at 18:51
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Nin wrote:
As a prospective parent and someone lucky enough to have an incredibly intelligent partner, we both feel that we can learn from the good things we grew up with and recreate that environment, while avoiding the mistakes our parents made.
That probably sounds like naive idealism but we have the tools & mindset to back it up.

Ahh so there could be a new edition to the Nin family :¬) But you're right in what you say ... long ago within the Hallowed Halls of Teaching there was a sacred saying ... 'you teach, how you were taught' ... and it is so true.
Thu 31/01/13 at 15:36
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Religion's another biggie, aliens will probably wonder why we praise and adore and build our lives around an entity that may or may not exist.

Different people of different faiths also look at each other's religions and wonder why they do certain "strange" things and not realise that when they do something connected to their religion that other person thinks them "strange" as well.
Thu 31/01/13 at 01:09
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Alfonse wrote:
Why do parents seem to hold this strange notion that they have any real control of their child perception of reality once they reach nursery going age? You can only guide them. I plan to be as honest and open as I can be with my children

Personal experience and introspection. Thinking back to my childhood I know what influenced me, what kept me on track during my younger years and what knocked me off track in my teens. As a prospective parent and someone lucky enough to have an incredibly intelligent partner, we both feel that we can learn from the good things we grew up with and recreate that environment, while avoiding the mistakes our parents made.
That probably sounds like naive idealism but we have the tools & mindset to back it up.
Wed 30/01/13 at 20:48
Regular
"How Ironic"
I never left, just had nothing to contribute. I'm going to retreat back to being an observer of the forum for now, ready to pounce...
Wed 30/01/13 at 19:17
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Sonic Chris wrote:
Logging in to a forum everyday to talk to a group of men you've never met. There's one for the perspective book :-P

But you love us all anyway, so you've returned

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.