GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"more ADSL2+ updrade "

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/12/12 at 13:04
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
[didn't want to hijack DL's thread]

Samknows.com states this about my ADSL line:

'BT ADSL broadband availability
You are connected to the Ferryhill telephone exchange.

ADSL is available in your area
Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL Max services
Your exchange should have ADSL2+ services installed by the 30th of November 2012 .
'

Is the '30th November 2012' an indicative date which gets updated once in a blue moon or should I be expecting my ADSL2+ notification email from Freeola soon?

thanks

JTD
Mon 24/12/12 at 12:28
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
After keeping track of when the line went down, I suspected it was disconnecting whenever the house phone received/made a call (although I could reconnect even when the call was in progress).

I replaced the microfilter and removed our 'old fashioned style' phone from the socket in case the ring wire was causing problems..

I'd love to say it's solved the problem - it has helped but it' hasn't completely cured it. There are still times when I go on the internet only to find the connection is down.

I'll try that router software Hmmm.... to see if that gives any clues as to what is going on.

The router was 100% OK before the line was converted - I'm as confident as I can be that the router config is OK. I'm an IT techie myself so I'm sure I'd spot anything blatantly wrong with the settings.

Perhaps I foresee a new router in the new year if it doesn't settle down.

JTD
Sat 22/12/12 at 09:41
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
It could possibly be related to compatibility between your router and the newer ADSL2+ technology.

You shouldn't have to log in to your router and click connect if your Internet connection goes down. Instead generally your router should just automatically reconnect. It may be worth checking the ADSL settings in your router to ensure that it is set to reconnect automatically.
Fri 21/12/12 at 13:13
"Are you sure?"
I would recommend monitoring your line/connection to see if that helps show what might be going on.

Use RouterStats (see previous thread about this great free software) - I have it running all the time and has helped me understand my line :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 20/12/12 at 16:12
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Hi Dean,

I meant I'm having to log onto the router and use it's interface to disconnect the internet connection, then, as soon as the router is reporting the the connection is down, I can use the 'connect' button to connect again. As soon as I do that then the internet connection is back up.

I'm reasonably sure it's not the router as it only strated doing this in the days leading up to the exchange being reported as upgraded.

JTD
Thu 20/12/12 at 13:42
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
JimTheDog wrote:
I'm having to reset the connection 4 or 5 times A DAY.

If you are having to manually reset your router, it may be that your router is crashing. Are you able to log in to the router control panel when the connection is down?

On a Netgear router, it'll usually be at the address below:

The default username and password are usually 'admin' for the username and 'password' for the password.
Thu 20/12/12 at 10:39
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
DL wrote:

This seems to be common between us JTD with Netgear routers! Before and after the upgrade, to maintain a reliable connection it has been necessary to reboot the router through the router interface. This can be at least 3 times a week! Didn't have any similar problem with my old DLink router!

I'm having to reset the connection 4 or 5 times A DAY. It seems to be when there has been a period of internet usage inactivity.

At least I'm not alone - that's some comfort I suppose.

Now if I could just get my Christmas shopping finished (and by finished I really mean started) then I'll be a lot happier.
Thu 20/12/12 at 10:16
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
JimTheDog wrote:
Are you having any connection problems during your upgrade? Everytime I go to use tinternet I have to disconnect/reconnect through the router.

This seems to be common between us JTD with Netgear routers! Before and after the upgrade, to maintain a reliable connection it has been necessary to reboot the router through the router interface. This can be at least 3 times a week! Didn't have any similar problem with my old DLink router!
Thu 20/12/12 at 10:01
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Thanks for taking the time to respond DL.

I did do a BT speedtest and the results came back as something surprisingly pitiful - quite at odds with the netgear stats.

Are you having any connection problems during your upgrade? Everytime I go to use tinternet I have to disconnect/reconnect through the router.

I'll give it a few more days to see if it settles - perhaps I should have waited until after Chrstmas before tinkering with such delicate things.

JTD
Wed 19/12/12 at 22:23
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Evening JTD

Just thought these results may help to ease your 'stress'. My upgrade has been running for over a week now and I too use a NetGear router ... but be wary of the Netgear Router stats:

Taken about 4 mins ago, Netgear:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 18040 Kbps 1183 Kbps
Line Attenuation 9.4 dB 3.8 dB
Noise Margin 11.6 dB 6.5 dB

Now these taken about 5mins ago with BTSpeedtest

Download speedachieved during the test was - 14.86 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 15.91 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.98Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

This next one was earlier this evening with Speedtest:

Speedtest Result

You seem to be getting a good enough result there JTD, but you can see from these 3 sets of results that there is no balance! I did download new graphic drivers yesterday afternoon and noticed that a 169Mb download came in at 1.8Mb/sec though :¬)
Wed 19/12/12 at 20:55
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Hi again,

This is probably just my impatience getting the better of me but...

The email to upgrade to ADSL2+ duly arrived a few days ago and I ordered i straigh away.

My Freeola ADSL Status currently state 'upgrade pending' but my router stats are showing:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 14537 kbps 888 kbps
Line Attenuation 31.5 db 14.5 db
Noise Margin 8.8 db 14.9 db

The 15.5kbps download speed would certainly indicate almost double the speed I was getting in 'normal' ADSL world but video streaming (Sky Go) is running like a dog.

TBH my internet connection has ben regularly disconnecting even during the few days leading up to the notification email. (We have an old style dial telephone which started to 'ting' a lot, which I suspected was due to work at the exchange).

If I log onto my router (Netgear DGN2000), disconnect, then reconnect, it's OK again for a while.

Is there anything I should do (apart from calm down and wait a few days)?

thanks

JTD

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.