GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"ADSL2+ upgrade"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/12/12 at 11:05
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Morning all,

Just received notification from Freeola regarding upgrading to ADSL2+. My exchange now supports this. We live about 500 yards, in a straight line, from the exchange. I know that this distance makes a difference, but there are other factors such as line noise, which I believe increases with ADSL2+.

Question....Is there any need to take advantage of this upgrade?
Mon 03/12/12 at 11:05
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Morning all,

Just received notification from Freeola regarding upgrading to ADSL2+. My exchange now supports this. We live about 500 yards, in a straight line, from the exchange. I know that this distance makes a difference, but there are other factors such as line noise, which I believe increases with ADSL2+.

Question....Is there any need to take advantage of this upgrade?
Mon 03/12/12 at 11:56
Regular
"I like turtles"
Hi DL,

I know I'm perhaps not the best person around here to answer this question but I upgraded both of my Freeola connections to ADSL2+ a couple of months ago and despite initially experiencing some issues (like it didn't work!) all seems fine now that everything has settled down. Biggest increase I have noticed is with online gaming, been on Black Ops 2 quite a bit since it came out and (apart from one evening when I later found out there had been server issues) it has run totally lag free. Speeds do seem to fluctuate more than they did on ADSL1 (seem to for me anyway?) but overall I think ADSL2+ is worth trying. Just did a speedtest, got 11.4 Mbs, this is about average for me.

Hope this helps although I won't be all that surprised if it doesn't!
Mon 03/12/12 at 12:06
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hi pete and thanks. Knew you had upgraded, but I couldn't find the thread ... think I might give it a shot ... the online gaming seems to be the clincher!
Mon 03/12/12 at 12:07
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Quick check on your line indicates you could get up to 19.5Mbps so ADSL2+ would be well worth trying out.
As for more noise, I'm not quite sure what you mean, the amount of noise on your line would remain the same but as the frequencies used by ADSL2+ are different from ADSL they may be more susceptible to this noise.
You may also like to contact us first (or I can get a member of support to contact you if you wish) as your line is FTTC capable and we are able to offer this to customers before launching the product properly at some stage in the future (BT suggest your line could run at the full 80Mps/20Mbps!).
Mon 03/12/12 at 12:18
"Are you sure?"
DL, you lucky lucky ...!

*jealous *
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 03/12/12 at 12:46
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Thanks Eccles for the advice and for the offer, much appreciated. I would welcome support contact and await their call. I have just actioned the ADSL2+ upgrade via Freeola's earlier email.

As for the 'noise', it was mentioned to me by a support member a few weeks ago who suggested that the 'noise' would increase due to the technology involved...but I don't know?
Mon 03/12/12 at 19:42
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
@Hmmm ... thanks ;¬) but I'll wait and watch and see :¬)

As for FTTC connection, I've decided to wait ...

"The key charges and restrictions on this service are as follows.

Snip....
Staff Edit: Hope you don't mind DL but the prices/packages aren't ready for general availability yet so I've removed the pricing detail from this post. We will upgrade customers when they ask (if available of course!) and hopefully get something up on the website soon.

Not being a 'major wage earner', think I'll have to wait for our illustrious Government to implement a South Korean attitude to broadband availability :¬)
Mon 03/12/12 at 21:10
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
@dean5 ... many thanks, infact it made me cry ... remember I'm a granddad
Tue 04/12/12 at 10:30
"Are you sure?"
Hi DL,
It sounds as if ADSL2+ on your short line will work great - faster than most will need! :¬)

Do you know if your line goes via a street cabinet?
People that are close to their exchange often have EO (Exchange Only) lines - i.e. go directly to the exchange.

For FTTC (Fibre To The cabinet) this is obviously an issue.
BT were looking at solutions for this but I don't know how far things got.

So it's possible if you are on an EO line you wouldn't have been able to have FTTC - don't know if this will make you feel better of not ;¬)

*still jealous*
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 04/12/12 at 10:48
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hi Hmmm,

There is a street cabinet between our house and the exchange, but I don't know if our line goes there or direct to the exchange. Eccles mentioned that FTTC was available for me, so I can only assume that the line does go to the cabinet?

@Staff Edit ... no problems at all ... I did wonder about it after the post though. Thanks.

Not aware of any significant changes to my connection yet.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.