GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X-Box Upgradable?????"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 23/02/02 at 17:26
Regular
I remember a long time ago, about 4 months after the Microsoft announced they would be releasing the X-Box.... i am sure i heard them talk about the main things that people would benefit from would be to upgrade the X-Box to save buying loads of new consoles every few years.

Does anyone actually know if htis is true? Will we one day be able to view the 250 million polygons a second promised? I hope you can help cos i really hope it is upgradable!
Thu 07/03/02 at 18:40
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
Apparently you can upgrade an X-Box like other consoles but there is no point - as developers optimise games for a console opposed to a PC.

Outlaw.
Thu 07/03/02 at 17:45
Regular
"BOSE"
the xbox is made up of pc components so it should b upgradeable like a pc :)
Sun 03/03/02 at 14:12
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
Pretty similar to what I said before. The only reason I would want to upgrade my X-Box is if I was missing out on something important - like online which of course we aren't. The only modification I would think of having is having my X-Box chipped; which is a bit of a waste of money considering how well Microsoft will treat us Brits unlike another games company I could mention.

Outlaw.
Sun 03/03/02 at 13:48
Regular
"What tagline? Eh?"
The XBox is non-upgradeable, and to be honest, why would you want to? Developers who develop games for a console expect to be seeing a certain speed CPU and GPU, and a certain ammount of RAM.

Changing things (anything) will either give you no benefit at all, or just screw things up. In fact, the only thing that I can think of that might give an advantage is changing the hard-drive to a larger capacity. This would be difficult though due to the proprietory file format. 8Gb is plenty though - especially when you are not installing anything to it really (just lots of small files).

Changing it for a faster hard drive would be disaster, as would swapping out the DVD drive for a faster one. Why? Developers can easily (and do) put timing checks into their code to check the ammount of time it takes a game to load. Any faster or slower and it is likely that the game is a pirate copy, hence it won't load.

Do yourselves a favour and don't mess with the box - your warranty will be much happier if you don't!
Sun 03/03/02 at 13:35
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Good choice mate. I made that choice and just look at me ! I'm the best pest control guy there is ! ::in dumb red neck accent::

Bet you'll still find plenty of time to play the X-Box though. ;-))
Sun 03/03/02 at 10:01
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
I won't be able to play on my X-Box much at the moment - got too much school coursework. But I forget, which is more important: school, nah gaming...

Outlaw.
Sat 02/03/02 at 21:03
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I actually read that the X-Box doesn't overheat, even after its been played constantly all day !

Sounds good for me then. ;-))
Sat 02/03/02 at 17:49
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I would like a water cooled X-Box, as the X-Box actually does have a warning light flash if it gets too hot. So you have to turn it off. Hopefully this wont happen to often, but after a good 6 hour go on Halo, the X-box could be a little warm.
Sat 02/03/02 at 17:35
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
Good point. For me I would only consider upgrading my console if I was significantly missing out on something that doesn't come installed in the original package. Though as the X-Box has everything already installed I shouldn't need to worry :)

Outlaw.
Sat 02/03/02 at 17:28
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
There are a number or reasons why people do it.

Improving the cooling system (Water cooled like the example on the web page) means there is less change it will over heat meaning you can play for longer without damaging the console.

Some people want their consoles to do other things, run different software so they modify them to do so. They don't improve games make them any more playable.
Some say the modifications shouldhave been done by microsoft before they released it but that would probably just push the price up even higher.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.