GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Grrr BT DLM"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 14/10/12 at 14:07
Regular
"May contain nuts"
Looks like either I've got some P2Ping, bandwidth hogging !'#& nearby or BT's DLM has added a large dollop of interleaving to my line as ping has gone from 12 ms to 22 ms.

Sync speed has nearly recovered to what it was on old ISP after taking a whack when I moved.

I've asked support whether they can advise whether the interleaving depth has changed.
Mon 15/10/12 at 22:47
Regular
"May contain nuts"
Well I returned home to find the connection crawling despite a sync of nearly three meg (338 Kbps according to the ThinkBroadband speed test)

Left this router in and swapped the filter back to the ADSL Nation one and sync went to nearly four meg and throughput rocketed to 3.1 Mbps.

Updated the ticked with support but it seems this filter is shielding the router from some interference.

Weird eh?
Mon 15/10/12 at 14:01
Regular
"May contain nuts"
Chas has been doing his best to get to the bottom of it, apparently errors have decreased again and speed has gone up which suggests I've got a faulty router (the DGND 3300) or internal wiring glitch

He's continuing to monitor for me.

I'm going to leave things as they are for the next 24 hours or so.
Mon 15/10/12 at 11:27
"Are you sure?"
Let us know how things go pctech.

I can't recommend RouterStats free software to monitor your connection highly enough!

You can monitor your sync/snr/error rates/etc./etc.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 15/10/12 at 11:00
Regular
"May contain nuts"
Hi Hmmm

Had to do a couple of things I'd forgotten, so had to

Speed is very very slowly recovering but I don't know whether the error rate is reducing or not.

Off to work shortly so will have to park it there for today.

If someone from Freeola support would cast an eye over the line stats collected by BT since late last night I'd be grateful and let me know.

Thanks again for the help and advice offered by everybody on here, it's appreciated.
Mon 15/10/12 at 09:19
"Are you sure?"
I see you took my advice about not reconnecting during the night :¬P

Re IPv6 Routers for long lines.
My choice would be the Billion 7800n but not a cheapie - but Broadcom chipset so works well on long/variable lines.

Much cheaper is the Technicolor TG582n (also IPv6 ready and uses a Broadcom chipset).

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sun 14/10/12 at 22:59
Regular
"May contain nuts"
This problem is now nagging at me so I got a corded phone I have out (it's a BT brand one so if they don't work correctly, whose does :)) and did a quiet line test.

All quiet apart from the slight hiss you always get on voice lines.

Rebooted the router again to recover the speed but I suspect it'll fall away again.

Any help from Freeola folks or anyone is greatly appreciated,

As an aside there's been a few Openreach vans in the neighbourhood as we can get FTTP here (I won't because I'm just tight) so wondering if they've knocked the line or something.
Sun 14/10/12 at 22:15
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pctech wrote:
Right, time for a Wychwood Hobgoblin before I go to bed.

Try three :¬)
Sun 14/10/12 at 21:55
Regular
"May contain nuts"
Connection ground to a halt once more so have left the Netgear filter in and switched back to a DGN2200 v1 I have.

Only reason I bought the DGND3300 was because I thought it was going to get IPv6 support.

Hopefully this router will reduce the upstream errors.

Any suggestions for modem/routers that perform well on long lines, have Wi-Fi and IPv6 support and don't cost a fortune would be most welcome or should I separate router and modem duty?

Right, time for a Wychwood Hobgoblin before I go to bed.
Sun 14/10/12 at 21:34
Regular
"May contain nuts"
Switched the filter back one more time and will see what happens overnight.

I'm definitely noticing browsing becoming a bit more sluggish.

Guess a router switch is next on the agenda *deep and long sigh*
Sun 14/10/12 at 21:05
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Happy days ;¬)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.