GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Grrr BT DLM"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 14/10/12 at 14:07
Regular
"May contain nuts"
Looks like either I've got some P2Ping, bandwidth hogging !'#& nearby or BT's DLM has added a large dollop of interleaving to my line as ping has gone from 12 ms to 22 ms.

Sync speed has nearly recovered to what it was on old ISP after taking a whack when I moved.

I've asked support whether they can advise whether the interleaving depth has changed.
Sun 14/10/12 at 14:07
Regular
"May contain nuts"
Looks like either I've got some P2Ping, bandwidth hogging !'#& nearby or BT's DLM has added a large dollop of interleaving to my line as ping has gone from 12 ms to 22 ms.

Sync speed has nearly recovered to what it was on old ISP after taking a whack when I moved.

I've asked support whether they can advise whether the interleaving depth has changed.
Sun 14/10/12 at 14:59
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
I have answered this for you via your support ticket. As advised, there may be other contributing factors here, which we can look into for you once you have carried out the checks as requested.
Sun 14/10/12 at 15:58
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Have a cup of tea chas ... you deserve it! (Maybe a Guinness would be more appropriate!) :¬)
Sun 14/10/12 at 16:49
Regular
"May contain nuts"
chasfh wrote:
I have answered this for you via your support ticket. As advised, there may be other contributing factors here, which we can look into for you once you have carried out the checks as requested.

Yes, many thanks for that rapid reply.

I'll try swapping out the filter first before I try dealing with Netgear support which is rather difficult.
Sun 14/10/12 at 16:52
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
No problem. I'll keep an eye on your account for you.

@ DL.. Guinness or tea, either is good..
Sun 14/10/12 at 17:14
Regular
"May contain nuts"
Thanks, filter changed for a Netgear one.

Sync has dropped like a stone to 3295 from 3904 I think it was (I just swapped it and let it automatically resync)

I know we have to wait for BT;s systems to notice.

Bit about my setup

Netgear DGND3300 v2 running firmware version 2.1.00.54
ADSL Nation twisted pair 1 metre ADSL cable
Was using a ADSL nation filter.
1 pc connected via ethernet (core i5 3.1 Ghz running Win 7 Pro 64-bit)
1 Edimax access point connected via Wi-Fi (WPA2 secured) with Xbox 360 and Panasonic DMR XS380 Freesat box connected (neither are on at the moment)

As you can no doubt see from your end Chas the line attenuation is 60dB

Openreach came out around April to fix a voice fault and the guy cut away some corroded copper and resealed the joint with resin.

There are no telephones connected to the line nor anything else but I do have a corded handset if you would like me to carry out a quiet line test.
Sun 14/10/12 at 17:30
Regular
"May contain nuts"
I've just done a full reboot so it retrains, sync fallen again but will leave it alone now.
Sun 14/10/12 at 17:38
"Are you sure?"
Hi pctech,
FYI if you haven't any 'voice' equipment connected then you don't actually have to have filter. The ADSL side of a filter is 'straight through'.

60db is a long line and in my experience needs to be interleaved. If you aren't concerned with sync/throughput then perhaps you could force the line to sync very low to get better latency using fastpath. But at 60db it's not going to be easy!

Has your Target SNRM changed since this happened?
If that change in sync is permanent then it looks like it's just increased by 3db to me.

You might be interested in my Understanding and Improving ADSL Max article that I wrote a while back :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sun 14/10/12 at 17:45
Regular
"May contain nuts"
Apologies for the possibly dumb sounding question (While I know quite a bit about networks ADSL is a mystery to me) but how do I directly connect the router to an Openreach NTE5 socket without either a filter or a filtered faceplate?

Do I just get a normal telephone cable?

Noise margin has been hovering around 6.4dB and is now 7.1
Sun 14/10/12 at 17:59
"Are you sure?"
If you haven't a filtered faceplate (my recommendation - but if you don't use voice I can see why you don't need one) then all your need is a BT socket to RJ11 cable or an adapter. Many laptops with built in dialup modems came with these.

In theory (unless your hamster has chewed the cable) swapping a filter on an ADSL only line is a waste of time as the ADSL frequencies aren't filtered.

Best NOT to restart your router outside of daylight hours if you want to get your best sync - but if you can check your noise margin immediately after restarting during the day then that will show you your Target SNRM.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

EDIT:
FWIW I'm only an enthusiastic amateur so it's possible I'm wrong!
I'm not :¬)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.