GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft wrecking gaming"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 07/12/02 at 22:58
Regular
What's all the crap I hear about Microsoft trying to monopolise the gaming market. They're "buying all the other companies" and "using their money to get what they want"... aparantly. I beg to differ.

To begin with, let's have a look at the above quotes.

Contrary to popular belief, MS have not bought any big games companies. They bought Bungie- who are so small the MS relocated every single person in the company- and more recently Rare- the tiny midlands developer. No sign of any big publishers yet. And what have they done with these companies? Microsoft allowed Bungie so many resources that Halo has been nominated for "Game of the Year" awards numerous times. Is this a bad thing?

At the same time, MS are throwing money at other publishers for exclusives. Which is exactly what Sony did with the PS1. In both situations the companies gave wods of cash, development tools and premade libraries to third party developers to produce exclusive games. This is how Sony wooed Konami, Square and Namco away from Nintendo.

And this all adds up towards a great thing for gamers. If the Xbox's successor gets nearer to Sony's sales figures then we will once more find ourselves in a console wars where it is the games that determine the outcome, and not company branding. Let's face it, the PS2 had no competition when it came out, and the quality of games was nowhere near as paramount as it had been in, say, the SNES vs Mega Drive days.

So, to those who curse the Xbox, think before you speak. MS have not bought out many companies, made any more third party deals than any other manufacturer (including Sega!), and are certainly not dominating the market. Competition is good.

Sonic
Mon 09/12/02 at 11:48
Regular
Miserableman wrote>

You see, I'm not concerned with console wars like you are, I'm concerned with the games I play. You, right now, can go into a shop and buy a Dreamcast, a second controller and 8 amazing games for £200

You poor deluded person, you need to get onto Watchdog and expose the firm that wanted to charge you £200 for a DC and 8 games. Personally I wouldn't have paid them £20, the Sega DC is a defuncked machine with a pitiful games line up that is so yesterday. Project Gotham is MSR 2, JSR Future is JSR 2, Virtua Fighter 4 is a Sega title how can you say you are only concerned with the games you play when all the sequels are on superior current machines.

Sounds to me your a bit of a tightwadd and won't pay anymore than £4.99 for a game which is why you own a defunked machine. If I were you I woulndn't be singing the praises of the DC rather slagging Sega off for ditching it so soon after its release.
Mon 09/12/02 at 11:45
Regular
Miserableman wrote:
You're wrong about Jet Set Radio, it is a 5-star game, and if it was released on your Playstation no doubt you'd be the first to agree. Saying it looks like a kiddy game shows to me you haven't played it, and is the sort of attitude that's killing innovation in the industry.

No, I would not go a buy a copy of JSR if it was on PS2 - I don't buy games just because they are on my console. There are PS2 games out there (lots) that don't do anything for me. BTW, I have seen what JSR is like.
Mon 09/12/02 at 11:20
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Top score wrote:
> Are you enjoying playing Virtua fighter 4 and Jet Set radio future on
> your dreamcast. It must be hard playing the same games over and over
> such a limited selection still if you look at a dc top ten chart it
> hasn't changed since its launch, they must be good games then.

Your ignorance astounds me. Neither of the games you quote are Dreamcast games. As it happens I have about 15 very playable Dreamcast games - Virtua Tennis 2 (which is btw greatly superior in graphics and gameplay to the PS2 version) is a daily hoot, and at the moment we're just rediscovering how infuriatingly addictive Mr Driller is. No doubt one day I'll go back to MSR and finish off the 20 or so campaigns I haven't looked at yet, and maybe one day I'll even finish Shenmue. That's not to mention Sonic Adventure, Sega Rally, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Ready 2 Rumble Boxing, Soul Calibur and Rez (amoung others), all of which I've only paid a fraction of the required attention to. If I ever get bored of those, there's always Headhunter and Grandia in the local shop which are supposed to be fantastic. Plus I WILL track down Skies of Arcadia one day.

You see, I'm not concerned with console wars like you are, I'm concerned with the games I play. You, right now, can go into a shop and buy a Dreamcast, a second controller and 8 amazing games for £200. The equivalent gameplay from Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo would cost you close to £500.

Read what I said to Update about the undeniable ignorance of the British consumer. The Dreamcast is a red-hot deal, staring them in the face, yet they won't budge because no-one makes games for it any more. A crying shame for them, but not for me - the shops are still bulging with ultra-cheap classics like Ferrari 355, Headhunter and Virtua Fighter 3, waiting for me to buy them. So please, stick to your Playstation 2, pay £40 for your new games, I hope they give you hours of entertainment, I really do.
Mon 09/12/02 at 11:07
Regular
Miserableman wrote:
no console approaches the
> Dreamcast on elegance, playability or horsepower.

Are you enjoying playing Virtua fighter 4 and Jet Set radio future on your dreamcast. It must be hard playing the same games over and over such a limited selection still if you look at a dc top ten chart it hasn't changed since its launch, they must be good games then.

Even at £300 for the PS2 it was still out selling the DC by miles, Sega internet capability was so poor it wasn't worth having 33k modem how cheap was that then there was the announcement of the ceasing of production, games that were released in Japan never even got made for Europe. Online gaming was rubbish while they had a few games that allowed the use of online capabilities, all to frequently the online part was missed off when released in European.

Then there is the selling of the last 100,000 dc's in the UK it has taken more than 2 years to get rid of the last of them that's impressive.

Your posts make me laugh!!!
Mon 09/12/02 at 11:07
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Update2.01 wrote:
> See, this just backs up my point of view. If JSR on the DC was a 5*
> Killer App, why didn't everyone think so? Why didn't everyone go and
> buy a DC to play it? Even with the Sony hype (which does play a part,
> I know), people would have been *convinced* that JSR on DC was a
> *Killer bundle*. This did not happen. The game was not a 5* killer
> app. It was just an alternative to Tony Hawks, and wasn't as good.
> Plus, not everyone liked the *kiddy look* graphics.

Ultimately I don't know why people didn't rush out to buy a Dreamcast when it was cheap. You're wrong about Jet Set Radio, it is a 5-star game, and if it was released on your Playstation no doubt you'd be the first to agree. Saying it looks like a kiddy game shows to me you haven't played it, and is the sort of attitude that's killing innovation in the industry. Does a game have to have guns, sportscars or football stars in for you to be interested? You are just denying yourself some superbly playable games.

Even you must concede that the average consumer on the street knows naff all about anything. Just because the Cheeky Girls or the Back-Passage Boyz get number one in the charts doesn't mean they're any good, does it?
Mon 09/12/02 at 10:58
Regular
Miserableman wrote:
> The original Jet Set Radio is a 5* killer app, the likes of which
> don't come round too often on any system. To belittle it is to make a
> mockery of your own opinion.

See, this just backs up my point of view. If JSR on the DC was a 5* Killer App, why didn't everyone think so? Why didn't everyone go and buy a DC to play it? Even with the Sony hype (which does play a part, I know), people would have been *convinced* that JSR on DC was a *Killer bundle*. This did not happen. The game was not a 5* killer app. It was just an alternative to Tony Hawks, and wasn't as good. Plus, not everyone liked the *kiddy look* graphics.
Mon 09/12/02 at 10:52
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Update2.01 wrote:
> PS2 wasnt much of an upgrade from DC? What about the use of a DVD
> drive for games and movies? Dolby Digital? DTS? USB? FireWire?
> Expansion bay?

Bear in mind the Dreamcast had internet capability out the box, 4 controller ports and has never cost more than half the asking price of a PS2. It was also a much better designed system, that still has (imo, though I don't expect you to share it) a better games catalog. Only a fool would say the Dreamcast had a poor selection of games available for it, put it that way. By extension these arguements also apply to the Gamecube and Xbox - for the money, no console approaches the Dreamcast on elegance, playability or horsepower.
Mon 09/12/02 at 10:47
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Update2.01 wrote:
> Hope know really thinks the likes of Jet Set radio, and Crazy Taxi are
> better than NFS and Burnout on PS2.

The original Jet Set Radio is a 5* killer app, the likes of which don't come round too often on any system. To belittle it is to make a mockery of your own opinion.

JSRF was more flawed, but still a very playable and stunningly beautiful game.
Mon 09/12/02 at 10:45
Regular
PS2 wasnt much of an upgrade from DC? What about the use of a DVD drive for games and movies? Dolby Digital? DTS? USB? FireWire? Expansion bay?
Mon 09/12/02 at 10:44
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Top score wrote:
> Yes I have the word that comes to mind is pants which also happens to
> be the prefect description of your posts.

Forum trolls are supposed to entice other people into personal insults, not vice versa. Poor show.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.