GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft wrecking gaming"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 07/12/02 at 22:58
Regular
What's all the crap I hear about Microsoft trying to monopolise the gaming market. They're "buying all the other companies" and "using their money to get what they want"... aparantly. I beg to differ.

To begin with, let's have a look at the above quotes.

Contrary to popular belief, MS have not bought any big games companies. They bought Bungie- who are so small the MS relocated every single person in the company- and more recently Rare- the tiny midlands developer. No sign of any big publishers yet. And what have they done with these companies? Microsoft allowed Bungie so many resources that Halo has been nominated for "Game of the Year" awards numerous times. Is this a bad thing?

At the same time, MS are throwing money at other publishers for exclusives. Which is exactly what Sony did with the PS1. In both situations the companies gave wods of cash, development tools and premade libraries to third party developers to produce exclusive games. This is how Sony wooed Konami, Square and Namco away from Nintendo.

And this all adds up towards a great thing for gamers. If the Xbox's successor gets nearer to Sony's sales figures then we will once more find ourselves in a console wars where it is the games that determine the outcome, and not company branding. Let's face it, the PS2 had no competition when it came out, and the quality of games was nowhere near as paramount as it had been in, say, the SNES vs Mega Drive days.

So, to those who curse the Xbox, think before you speak. MS have not bought out many companies, made any more third party deals than any other manufacturer (including Sega!), and are certainly not dominating the market. Competition is good.

Sonic
Sat 07/12/02 at 22:58
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
What's all the crap I hear about Microsoft trying to monopolise the gaming market. They're "buying all the other companies" and "using their money to get what they want"... aparantly. I beg to differ.

To begin with, let's have a look at the above quotes.

Contrary to popular belief, MS have not bought any big games companies. They bought Bungie- who are so small the MS relocated every single person in the company- and more recently Rare- the tiny midlands developer. No sign of any big publishers yet. And what have they done with these companies? Microsoft allowed Bungie so many resources that Halo has been nominated for "Game of the Year" awards numerous times. Is this a bad thing?

At the same time, MS are throwing money at other publishers for exclusives. Which is exactly what Sony did with the PS1. In both situations the companies gave wods of cash, development tools and premade libraries to third party developers to produce exclusive games. This is how Sony wooed Konami, Square and Namco away from Nintendo.

And this all adds up towards a great thing for gamers. If the Xbox's successor gets nearer to Sony's sales figures then we will once more find ourselves in a console wars where it is the games that determine the outcome, and not company branding. Let's face it, the PS2 had no competition when it came out, and the quality of games was nowhere near as paramount as it had been in, say, the SNES vs Mega Drive days.

So, to those who curse the Xbox, think before you speak. MS have not bought out many companies, made any more third party deals than any other manufacturer (including Sega!), and are certainly not dominating the market. Competition is good.

Sonic
Sat 07/12/02 at 22:59
I agree
Sat 07/12/02 at 23:36
Regular
"bing bang bong"
I hope Microsoft never get further than they have in the console race. They are a shockingly aggressive company with a history of using their domination of markets to their own ends.

Having said that, they have behaved impeccably in the videogames market to date.
Sat 07/12/02 at 23:50
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Miserableman wrote:
> I hope Microsoft never get further than they have in the console race.
> They are a shockingly aggressive company with a history of using their
> domination of markets to their own ends.

Very much like Sony in the games market.

> Having said that, they have behaved impeccably in the videogames
> market to date.

Indeed. Not many people realise that the people behind the Xbox are actually veterin gamers who have had years of experience in the industry. It's almost a completely different company, but with the same name.
Sat 07/12/02 at 23:51
Regular
"NiNtEnDo Fo LyF FoO"
Sonic, Hear any News About Sega?
Sun 08/12/02 at 00:00
Regular
"everyone says it"
Microsoft are the worst conglomerate there is.

They saw Bungie's Halo, and instead of doing deals with the Mac based company for a XBox version they outright brought the company. Tearing it away from any other platform, and delaying the rightful PC release by about 18months.

If Microsoft dominate the gaming world as they have done the PC world in the past, the evolotion of gaming will slow to a near nothing as there would only be one contender as there was in the PC market for so many years. Infact, the PC market's software is I reckon about five years behind what it would have been if Microsoft didn't monopolise in the way they did.

Microsoft are a victim of their own success, in such a way they grew so big and so quickly, their arrogance destroyed small companies around them, if the small companies released anything successful.. Microsoft would offer such a stupid sum of money the company would have to except.

Surely we will see Microsoft in the film market soon. Fact is - I hate them as a company, their console might not be that bad but they want to make EVERYTHING exclusive when its originally not theirs.

XBox? Yeah - its 'Live' and if Microsoft have their way it will take over. I recall Microsoft annoucing just before the release of the XBox they were already on the development of the console to succeed that.

WHAT THE FUDGE? Of course, its what Microsoft always do, make stuff up. Just like sales figures and how secure an operating system is. Like all the bloody XP upgrades, not to help our computers, but to make them slower and so that Microsoft can monitor peoples activities.

If Microsoft ran gaming like they did the PC market, it would be ruined. There would be no fight, no choice and no decision. Sadly laws won't prevent Microsoft's growth in the gaming market as the regulation laws do the PC market. Sadly is not good enough. If I was in charge of laws as such, I would actually make a regulation against Microsoft OS's and all hardware/software. Reason being that the market would become a much stronger place without them.. it would leave smaller companies and healthy competition all around. Maybe it will go back to the days of gaming being a nerd-paradise, when over 35's didn't play games.

Thats what I would do?

I may get a fair few laughs at what I just typed. However a sure reason to this outburst is the thought of losing Nintendo from the hardware market. What did Microsoft bring to the gaming world?

-A average powered PC with a harddrive and internet capabilities, they want it to survive so they buy small companies with great games and call it exclusive --- PATHETIC.

What did Nintendo bring to the market?

-Nintendo are the fathers of gaming, never a company to actually slow down what kind of software ideas to create. Inventing Game&Watch as well as revoluntionary hardware (3D control anyone). Also, if Nintendo weren't around I don't think gaming would be as big. The same thing could be said for Sega, and damn I miss them from the gaming hardware world.

Give Microsoft a chance?

Haven't you realised that the reason the XBox has dropped in price more times than a mans balls is because they didn't relise the market would be so volatile. They jumped in probably thinking.

'Biggest console, most powerful and a FPS to match, sorted, now where is my cigar'.

It wasn't like that though was it Bill. You weren't selling your console well enough so you lowered the price to sell it, that wasn't enough you lowered it again.. and then that wasn't enough so you checked your bank details and lowered it again, this time giving away a couple of games. This is because you can afford it. I shouldn't give your console a chance even though I have because it doesn't deserve to be released by such a pathetic company who are more determind at having gaming run by one company than they were to have just Microsoft run computers everywhere.

*thinks of 1984*

Ergh! Microsoft phones next, which I may add, is happening as Microsoft look to have their OS on the new series' of Nokia phones.

They aren't wrecking gaming yet. They may be actually increasing the speed that Nintendo and Sony release a new console. However I can only see this as a bad thing because people need a chance to play the console before. And a rushed console is somewhat not going to have the thought behind it... only the power. Power doesn't make gaming.

Remember Bill. Power doesn't make gaming. It also doesn't make you look too good either. Nerd.

Power doesn't make gaming. Fun makes gaming.

*fingers burn through*
Sun 08/12/02 at 00:11
Regular
"NiNtEnDo Fo LyF FoO"
oh my god er-no.. you got problems against microsoft.
or just issues..
Sun 08/12/02 at 00:20
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
er-no, the only point I can see in your long rant is:
"If MS rule the console market, it will be a worse place"

Which is quite correct. However, what you seem to have ignored is that, until MS entered the market, Sony had dominated it for the better part of a decade with no competition. All the things that you say will happen if MS ruled the market (poorer quality games etc) actually began to happen with the PS2.

Now we have two massive companies competing for the top spot, I highly doubt MS will beat off Sony and dominate. While MS is pumping millions into securing developer support and advertising the console, Sony have most of the top developers on side and don't need to proclaim to the public why they should buy their console - the brandname is too strong.

Microsoft are the Macs of the gaming market, and Sony are the Microsoft.

As for any other points you make in that rant... they ALL apply to what Sony did with the original PS1. All the points you make about what will happen if MS dominate the market have happened when the PS1 stole the market from Sega and Nintendo.

By having both Sony and MS in the market at least we have some competition finally. That said, MS's sales are hardly making Sony squirm. Maybe when the Xbox2 comes out?

Which reminds me... Sony announced plans for the "PS3" a month BEFORE the PS2 was launched in Japan. Sega announced the Dreamcast 2 a month after the Dreamcast came out in Japan. So what's the big deal about MS announcing the Xbox 2?
Sun 08/12/02 at 00:26
Regular
"everyone says it"
*shakes head*

I cannot help but ignore all attempts by you, as justified as they may well seem, to dig Microsoft out of the hole they are in.

Microsoft are not the Mac's of the bloody gaming market. Bloody hell crap hell not. No no no. Wrong completely. Nintendo and Sega are the Macintosh of the gaming market. Microsoft are Microsoft.

A disgusting conglomerate who prance around in nipple tight pants singing, 'Buy buy buy, its better because we say so'.

With so many available synergies. It won't be long before Microsoft do actually sell more XBox's than the PS2.

You also seem to forget Nintendo in your post? Don't do that. They release the most enjoyable games and have done so far this year.

*throws apple out of window* (get the really bad joke there?)

I will shoot you many time at paintballing I really will. If anyone mentions Microsoft beind good in any way, I will shoot you. With my own gun.

Also, whats wrong with what? Them making that press announcement how they did... dunno, just another dig, still.

Power doesn't make gaming. It will kill it.
Sun 08/12/02 at 00:28
Regular
"everyone says it"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> er-no, the only point I can see in your long rant is:
> "If MS rule the console market, it will be a worse place"

Also, I protest you saying I only made one point in my long rant. It wasn't a rant, it was the truth and once more on that, it had many points which were all very valid.

I am going to go and live in Japan.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.