GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Pizza Vs. Skeletons (iOS)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Pizza Vs. Skeletons'.
Mon 03/09/12 at 10:17
Regular
"And in last place.."
In the red corner all the way from the local graveyard, a horde of skeletons. In the blue corner all the way from Naples, Italy, a giant pizza. Let the strangest battle in the history of strangest battles begin.

In Pizza Vs. Skeletons you control a pizza. At 25 foot high it is safe to call it an exceptionally big pizza. And like all good pizzas, it can roll, it can jump and it can squash skeletons which is handy as in this game there is no shortage of skeletons just waiting to be transformed into a pile of bones.

If you are anything like me then the first thing that you will notice as you control this giant pizza is the topping. Pepperoni is the topping of choice but it is a bit sparse for my liking. I don’t care if my pizza is gigantic and can bounce about I want more topping, much more. But I digress.

The game’s story informs us that every 1000 days on a moonlit night, a horde of restless skeletons come out to play. What the skeletons get up to on their trip out and about is anyone’s guess but judging by the angry look on the pizza, their presence is unwelcome. I’ve fought many a skeleton in all my years of gaming but never have I fought one using a pizza.

The skeletons come in a variety of guises, human form and animal. They are either armed or have a means defence to deal with any dough based attacker. The pizza uses its sheer size to defeat the skeletons. Tilting your iOS device will roll the pizza and any skeleton in its way is crushed. Touching the screen allows your pizza to jump and any skeleton under the pizza as it lands is crushed. Touching the screen whilst the pizza is airbourne will bring it down with a slam. You’ll need to use all of these attack methods to clear all of the enemies in your path and complete the level.

New skeletons are added to the mix as you progress through the game. As each new enemy appears, the game explains the tactic you need to use to flatten it, some more complex than others. None of the skeletons on their own pose much of a threat but when a few variations come at once you will need to keep your wits about you.

Each level comes with 10 stages. The 10th level of each stage is a boss battle where your pizza suddenly doesn’t quite feel so huge. The variety on display in this game borders on staggering, new additions are added to the mix regularly which keeps it all fresh and keeps you on your toes. Some of the levels are about nothing but crushing skeletons, others have more of a platform game nature and others involve search and rescue missions. Having your puppy kidnapped by skeletons and rescued by a giant pizza would certainly make for a dramatic tale. The levels are fun and a joy to play although the boss battles are the weakest of the bunch and can drag on a bit.

Completing a level is just the beginning as each presents 3 challenges to beat. These challenges can take the form of a time to beat, avoiding any damage or collecting a certain number of coins. It adds to the lifespan and with short, enjoyable levels, none are a chore to attempt. And with 110 levels, that amounts to a lot of challenges to complete.

Levels are score based, crushing skeleton after skeleton creates a multiplier which you will lose if you take a hit. In addition to the score, there are coins to collect within the level as well as extra currency to be won at the Wheel of Pizza mini-game played after each level. The money is used for the many customisation options that can be used to create your perfect pizza. You can change the toppings, change the eyes and mouth, perhaps add a hat and bowtie to smarten up your tasty warrior. You can also change the form of the hero. He doesn’t have to be a pizza despite what the title of the games says, you can use a giant baseball or giant doughnut instead if you so desire. But you cannot combine toppings which again leaves me with a bare looking pizza.

Pizza Vs. Skeletons comes with a title that suggests approaching with caution. This game could so very well have been the gaming equivalent of a cheap, tacky horror film but it is anything but. Here we have 2 brothers who take a wacky idea and not only create a game from it but create one with more variety and imagination that most of the AAA titles on the home consoles. Riverman Media have created a thoroughly brilliant game. The pizza needs more topping though.

There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Mon 03/09/12 at 10:17
Regular
"And in last place.."
In the red corner all the way from the local graveyard, a horde of skeletons. In the blue corner all the way from Naples, Italy, a giant pizza. Let the strangest battle in the history of strangest battles begin.

In Pizza Vs. Skeletons you control a pizza. At 25 foot high it is safe to call it an exceptionally big pizza. And like all good pizzas, it can roll, it can jump and it can squash skeletons which is handy as in this game there is no shortage of skeletons just waiting to be transformed into a pile of bones.

If you are anything like me then the first thing that you will notice as you control this giant pizza is the topping. Pepperoni is the topping of choice but it is a bit sparse for my liking. I don’t care if my pizza is gigantic and can bounce about I want more topping, much more. But I digress.

The game’s story informs us that every 1000 days on a moonlit night, a horde of restless skeletons come out to play. What the skeletons get up to on their trip out and about is anyone’s guess but judging by the angry look on the pizza, their presence is unwelcome. I’ve fought many a skeleton in all my years of gaming but never have I fought one using a pizza.

The skeletons come in a variety of guises, human form and animal. They are either armed or have a means defence to deal with any dough based attacker. The pizza uses its sheer size to defeat the skeletons. Tilting your iOS device will roll the pizza and any skeleton in its way is crushed. Touching the screen allows your pizza to jump and any skeleton under the pizza as it lands is crushed. Touching the screen whilst the pizza is airbourne will bring it down with a slam. You’ll need to use all of these attack methods to clear all of the enemies in your path and complete the level.

New skeletons are added to the mix as you progress through the game. As each new enemy appears, the game explains the tactic you need to use to flatten it, some more complex than others. None of the skeletons on their own pose much of a threat but when a few variations come at once you will need to keep your wits about you.

Each level comes with 10 stages. The 10th level of each stage is a boss battle where your pizza suddenly doesn’t quite feel so huge. The variety on display in this game borders on staggering, new additions are added to the mix regularly which keeps it all fresh and keeps you on your toes. Some of the levels are about nothing but crushing skeletons, others have more of a platform game nature and others involve search and rescue missions. Having your puppy kidnapped by skeletons and rescued by a giant pizza would certainly make for a dramatic tale. The levels are fun and a joy to play although the boss battles are the weakest of the bunch and can drag on a bit.

Completing a level is just the beginning as each presents 3 challenges to beat. These challenges can take the form of a time to beat, avoiding any damage or collecting a certain number of coins. It adds to the lifespan and with short, enjoyable levels, none are a chore to attempt. And with 110 levels, that amounts to a lot of challenges to complete.

Levels are score based, crushing skeleton after skeleton creates a multiplier which you will lose if you take a hit. In addition to the score, there are coins to collect within the level as well as extra currency to be won at the Wheel of Pizza mini-game played after each level. The money is used for the many customisation options that can be used to create your perfect pizza. You can change the toppings, change the eyes and mouth, perhaps add a hat and bowtie to smarten up your tasty warrior. You can also change the form of the hero. He doesn’t have to be a pizza despite what the title of the games says, you can use a giant baseball or giant doughnut instead if you so desire. But you cannot combine toppings which again leaves me with a bare looking pizza.

Pizza Vs. Skeletons comes with a title that suggests approaching with caution. This game could so very well have been the gaming equivalent of a cheap, tacky horror film but it is anything but. Here we have 2 brothers who take a wacky idea and not only create a game from it but create one with more variety and imagination that most of the AAA titles on the home consoles. Riverman Media have created a thoroughly brilliant game. The pizza needs more topping though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.