GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Feeling A Bit Underwhelmed..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 08/12/02 at 22:26
Regular
Okay so, three whole days later, the novelty of playing games online has worn off somewhat and I'm beginning to look at Xbox Live more critically.

Mech Assault, Unreal, Ghost Recon; Given them all a fair amount of time over the past days and I'm disappointed by one integral feature of Xbox Live. The Communicator. It's a great peripheral, comfy, easy to use, works well e.t.c..... if only more people actually used it. Because very few do during team games I've been in, and all it takes to win against such a team is for the other side to communicate that bit more. Occasionaly I come across someone who can say something more that "sup" "I got you" "lets go" e.t.c. but it's somewhat like listening to the news headlines, soundbites. The much vaunted voice masks are virtually ignored, with many being ultra annoying anyway - such as brat, child, the girl one and whisper. And there is no way in a game to tell who is talking, or in the lobbies either. Whats more you can only talk to people once you join a game, there's no way of doing so whilst you're looking for a game, no central lobby like there is on PC game sites.

Forming clans e.t.c can only be done elsewhere, doing so just on Xbox Live is going to be difficult to do effectively.

Many of the safeguards promised by Microsoft just aren't there - there are kids on it who just mainly annoy everyone not on their team, people try to host too larger games for their connection which then crashes out, some people have massive lag, there's already cheating on the rankings systems, frequently people drop out of games when they're losing because they don't want to effect their ranks. Downloadable content isn't available until January either. As for the feedback system, which would supposedly deter numerous things; 1)you cannot see people's feedback 2)leaving it would take ages 3)with no clear way of knowing who says what in a game. Sure, you can mute people, but that doesnt solve the problem does it, just ignores it. Optimatch also seems to do little more than pick the game settings you want, not similar skill levels.

Sure, this is still the Testdrive, but I'm not entirely convinced this is the big leap forward I thought it was going to be. Possibly the stumbling block is that people don't want to constantly talk, or that the fact there is no clear way of knowing who is talking discourages it. The fact America has had it so far in front of us mean, as others have pointed out also, that they will forever be ahead of us, and there is more of them than us !

Whist at £42.99 for the first year with the other stuff it's good, for the second year MS are going to have to really look at it to make it a must buy for the second year. As it is it's a novelty at the moment, and it needs some really strong online only games to really transform it.

I'm happy with it, kinda, after all broadband has other uses, but I have this nagging doubt about it's long term success.

~~Belldandy~~
Thu 12/12/02 at 23:09
Regular
So Belldandy is the GC still a complete failure because they haven't announced any concrete plans?
Thu 12/12/02 at 20:10
Regular
"lei fang!!!!!"
ok ok I will let it drop.

But you still made a spelling mistake.
Thu 12/12/02 at 19:38
"+ suspicious minds"
no, not a fanboy stanch. I said it weould probably get better and that nintendo's package would not likely surpass it. plus it was mainly aimed at people who claimed online was thenext big thing and critisised nintendo for holding back with it.

and of course, for belldandy. :)
Thu 12/12/02 at 13:06
Regular
"lei fang!!!!!"
double post with double the fanboy stench and a spelling mistake.
Wed 11/12/02 at 22:14
"+ suspicious minds"
Heh.

sorry, but this is for everyone who posted claims that X-Box live would Kickstart the X-box and the reason Nintendo were failing.

And, of course, for Belldandy.

hopefully, it will get better. I don't expect nintendo's package to be any batter when It comes, I probably won't bother getting It at all as It will drain my cash very quickly.

and in your face to any member of this forum that is, or was ever called Myamato.
Wed 11/12/02 at 22:14
"+ suspicious minds"
Heh.

sorry, but this is for everyone who posted claims that X-Box live would Kickstart the X-box and the reason Nintendo were failing.

And, of course, for Belldandy.

hopefully, it will get better. I don't expect nintendo's package to be any batter when It comes, I probably won't bother getting It at all as It will drain my cash very quickly.

and in your face to any member of this forum that is, or was ever called Myamato.
Wed 11/12/02 at 21:05
Regular
"lei fang!!!!!"
I was ment to say the pc is alot worse sorry.
Wed 11/12/02 at 20:14
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Silent wrote:
> I haven't been dissappointed really as I have experienced the woes of online gaming on the pc and xbox is alot worse.

What???
Wed 11/12/02 at 13:04
Regular
"lei fang!!!!!"
I haven't been dissappointed really as I have experienced the woes of online gaming on the pc and xbox is alot worse. The only snag I have is that you dont know who talks when they do. But as I have had it since beta began I can see the amount of people talking is greatly on the increase.
Tue 10/12/02 at 18:59
Regular
The people who made Windows are'nt the people that made the Xbox by the way, Its a totally different team.

Why are people so predujiced towards Windows? Its a computer operating system! Probably 90% of this worlds population has a compter with it on. It crashes yes, But thats a fact of life, computers crash!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.