GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Feeling A Bit Underwhelmed..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 08/12/02 at 22:26
Regular
Okay so, three whole days later, the novelty of playing games online has worn off somewhat and I'm beginning to look at Xbox Live more critically.

Mech Assault, Unreal, Ghost Recon; Given them all a fair amount of time over the past days and I'm disappointed by one integral feature of Xbox Live. The Communicator. It's a great peripheral, comfy, easy to use, works well e.t.c..... if only more people actually used it. Because very few do during team games I've been in, and all it takes to win against such a team is for the other side to communicate that bit more. Occasionaly I come across someone who can say something more that "sup" "I got you" "lets go" e.t.c. but it's somewhat like listening to the news headlines, soundbites. The much vaunted voice masks are virtually ignored, with many being ultra annoying anyway - such as brat, child, the girl one and whisper. And there is no way in a game to tell who is talking, or in the lobbies either. Whats more you can only talk to people once you join a game, there's no way of doing so whilst you're looking for a game, no central lobby like there is on PC game sites.

Forming clans e.t.c can only be done elsewhere, doing so just on Xbox Live is going to be difficult to do effectively.

Many of the safeguards promised by Microsoft just aren't there - there are kids on it who just mainly annoy everyone not on their team, people try to host too larger games for their connection which then crashes out, some people have massive lag, there's already cheating on the rankings systems, frequently people drop out of games when they're losing because they don't want to effect their ranks. Downloadable content isn't available until January either. As for the feedback system, which would supposedly deter numerous things; 1)you cannot see people's feedback 2)leaving it would take ages 3)with no clear way of knowing who says what in a game. Sure, you can mute people, but that doesnt solve the problem does it, just ignores it. Optimatch also seems to do little more than pick the game settings you want, not similar skill levels.

Sure, this is still the Testdrive, but I'm not entirely convinced this is the big leap forward I thought it was going to be. Possibly the stumbling block is that people don't want to constantly talk, or that the fact there is no clear way of knowing who is talking discourages it. The fact America has had it so far in front of us mean, as others have pointed out also, that they will forever be ahead of us, and there is more of them than us !

Whist at £42.99 for the first year with the other stuff it's good, for the second year MS are going to have to really look at it to make it a must buy for the second year. As it is it's a novelty at the moment, and it needs some really strong online only games to really transform it.

I'm happy with it, kinda, after all broadband has other uses, but I have this nagging doubt about it's long term success.

~~Belldandy~~
Sun 08/12/02 at 22:26
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Okay so, three whole days later, the novelty of playing games online has worn off somewhat and I'm beginning to look at Xbox Live more critically.

Mech Assault, Unreal, Ghost Recon; Given them all a fair amount of time over the past days and I'm disappointed by one integral feature of Xbox Live. The Communicator. It's a great peripheral, comfy, easy to use, works well e.t.c..... if only more people actually used it. Because very few do during team games I've been in, and all it takes to win against such a team is for the other side to communicate that bit more. Occasionaly I come across someone who can say something more that "sup" "I got you" "lets go" e.t.c. but it's somewhat like listening to the news headlines, soundbites. The much vaunted voice masks are virtually ignored, with many being ultra annoying anyway - such as brat, child, the girl one and whisper. And there is no way in a game to tell who is talking, or in the lobbies either. Whats more you can only talk to people once you join a game, there's no way of doing so whilst you're looking for a game, no central lobby like there is on PC game sites.

Forming clans e.t.c can only be done elsewhere, doing so just on Xbox Live is going to be difficult to do effectively.

Many of the safeguards promised by Microsoft just aren't there - there are kids on it who just mainly annoy everyone not on their team, people try to host too larger games for their connection which then crashes out, some people have massive lag, there's already cheating on the rankings systems, frequently people drop out of games when they're losing because they don't want to effect their ranks. Downloadable content isn't available until January either. As for the feedback system, which would supposedly deter numerous things; 1)you cannot see people's feedback 2)leaving it would take ages 3)with no clear way of knowing who says what in a game. Sure, you can mute people, but that doesnt solve the problem does it, just ignores it. Optimatch also seems to do little more than pick the game settings you want, not similar skill levels.

Sure, this is still the Testdrive, but I'm not entirely convinced this is the big leap forward I thought it was going to be. Possibly the stumbling block is that people don't want to constantly talk, or that the fact there is no clear way of knowing who is talking discourages it. The fact America has had it so far in front of us mean, as others have pointed out also, that they will forever be ahead of us, and there is more of them than us !

Whist at £42.99 for the first year with the other stuff it's good, for the second year MS are going to have to really look at it to make it a must buy for the second year. As it is it's a novelty at the moment, and it needs some really strong online only games to really transform it.

I'm happy with it, kinda, after all broadband has other uses, but I have this nagging doubt about it's long term success.

~~Belldandy~~
Sun 08/12/02 at 22:43
Regular
Early days...

Just email MS with a list of possible improvements and something might happen.

As for the communicating, that'll pick up as people get used to playing.
Sun 08/12/02 at 22:58
Regular
"everyone says it"
Strafex wrote:
> Early days...
>
> Just email MS with a list of possible improvements and something might
> happen.
>
>
> As for the communicating, that'll pick up as people get used to
> playing.

If it actually picks up in this country. Which I don't think it will.
Sun 08/12/02 at 23:08
"High polygon count"
Belldandy wrote:
> Sure, this is still the Testdrive, but I'm not entirely convinced this
> is the big leap forward I thought it was going to be.

Bingo.

It sounds very much like the MS blurb has made it out to be something more than it is, which is just what I suspected/expected, and why I have little interest in it.

Maybe it'll improve... we'll see. At the moment, it's just ordinary online gaming, complete with all the problems that go with that.
Mon 09/12/02 at 08:48
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I would have to agree and disagree. Some games do the talking system better than others, for example Moto GP has the main lobby, when someone talks the icon goes yellow. When your in the game you can only talk to the next few riders to you, and when they talk there name pops up on the screen.

Unreal and MechAssault dont have the feature of knowing who is talking. And Unreal doesnt even have a lobby. Another downer is only 4 people can be on a voice channel in Unreal, so a team of 8 is effectivly split into to voice channels, so how can you communicate.

I have been on games that have had hardly any talking and others that are full of talking. At the beginning when I first got XBox Live I didnt hardly talk at all, now I do quite a bit if the game is pretty chatty.

The other problems are all due to people rather than Microsoft. Lag in games can be down to you and where the host actually is. I can get lag on 16 player deathmatchs even though I am using 2% of my connection. 16 player CTF or double domination is fine though. I host 8 players without lag so that what I normally do. If the games laggy then leave the game. PC online games can be laggy so its nothing new. Same as people leaving when there losing. Microsoft cant really do anything about it as its the person. PC online games are probably the same.

The ranking system is ok, but can be sorted of cheated around, not by typeing in a code and get to number 1. But by playing it lots, or even hosting private games where you play against easy bots or you have the 2nd controller as a player with no one controlling.

Also the feedback system is easy, I click on it once and it gives you a list of options, I dont think you actually need to type anything in. You may be able to view your feedback, if you get feedback it may pop up like as friend invites do.

The downloadable content wasnt promised from day one. Mech Assault will get some in January and Splinter Cell around March. So when the kit is properly released people will have downloadable content.

We are still basically testing the system out over here, to see whether we can play the Americans e.t.c. The other problems arent really problems just differences in PC to XBox. Think XBox has its friends list so you can go play against your friends, while PC has a main lobby. Ok so you can just talk to people while your not in a game, but really they need a connection to you and if your not in a game how is it going to work? WHat if there connection is maxed out and any more data would lag them. XBoxes are consoles so anything related to organising clans e.t.c. is best done on a website e.t.c. Think XBox Live is really easy to find a game, its really easy to host a game, really easy to communicate e.t.c. Overall it is a pretty easy system to use.

After having XBox Live for 4 weeks (4 weeks today), I can say that I still enjoy playing on it with most of its true potential not even unlocked. Once everyone feels fine talking into a mic in there room to people then communications can get better. Talking to friends on there is also good as I feel I can talk to them more because I know them. My friend is also getting Live soon when he gets his broadband, so instead of him coming over with his XBox and setting up that to play link up we can play over XBox Live. I still feel that XBox Live is very good and lives up to what was actually promised. This is just the early start with everyone getting use to it, so by the time March 14th comes the system should be amazing with everyone communicating and just playing games.
Mon 09/12/02 at 08:52
Regular
I don't really know why, but I'm just not that interested in online gaming. The only thing that could suck me in might be a massive RPG, but then again, maybe not.
Mon 09/12/02 at 09:24
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Welcome, console owners, to the world we PC enthusiasts have been operating in for about 5 years or so.

Online gaming sucks.
Sure, it's a novelty at first to be able to play real people from all over the world. But soon, very soon, you become aware of the suckness inherent in playing other people.
Namely? Other people aren't you.
Some will have nothing else to do all day (these are usually unemployed Americans living in basements with T1 connections) and take great delight in obliterating new players with no mercy. Because they are fat virgins with zero social skills - you, as a newbie, are there to satisfy their retarded social growth and you *will* lose.
A lot.
It may be because they're better than you. But mostly it's because they cheat.
You'll soon see peopel using wall-hacks (this allows them to see through walls so you can't sneak up on them), they use ghosting (you can be invisible to other players, thereby running amok with no fear of being tagged) and all manner of rubbish cheats.
Again, mainly by obese teen-males that have yet to feel the loving caress of a woman (or man, depends on your wiring) so they make themselves feel better by cheating at games.

Or the connection speed. Anything other than broadband and you're doomed mate, just play against bots offline.

Or spastic 9yr olds on their brother's machine, finding it funny to shoot their own team, throw flashbangs willy-nilly, give away positions, steal vehicles and run you down.

Online gaming sucks.
The "cool!" factor in playing real people online soon disappears under the weight of pasty virgins desperately trying to validate their basement dwelling existence through cheaty gaming.
And we havent even begun to talk about clans yet.
Mon 09/12/02 at 09:33
Regular
I think MS will be able to stop hacks and cogs - one of the advantages of using a console.

Also, it has a rating system, so if you're not very good you can play against people your level.
Mon 09/12/02 at 10:20
Regular
"yamahapkowner.com"
Xbox Live is indeed in early days. The communicator is handled is some games better then others!!! that is true.

But the overall fun of it all is amazing, im not sure why you guys have such a bad deal with Live!?

I love it, PC online gaming is lots of fun, but Xbox Live! is better and with more and more games on the way supporting downloadable content and online play, we are in for a real treat.

Remember Xbox Live! is constantly evolving and will improve all the time.

have Faith :)
Mon 09/12/02 at 14:07
"High polygon count"
GlideM wrote:
> Remember Xbox Live! is constantly evolving and will improve all the
> time.

They said that about Windows, though, and look how long it's taken them to get that right! :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.