GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Whta's the best fps on gc?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 12/12/02 at 19:36
Regular
Which game is really good but also has decent cheats for messing around etc. (not James bond)... i cant decide which fps to get
Sat 14/12/02 at 11:02
WEb dvd uk, unless you give me some gameplay details I won't believe you have played the game at all, answer me this simple question: In the game, when you have to go into ball mode for the first time to get through a collapsed coridoor and you come out the other side and turn the corner you will be attacked by something, what attacks you?

If you can answer that then I apoligise for calling you a stinkin lying obviously x-box fanboy.

I stand by everything I wrote below, the game is simply amazing and to answer the "no freelook whilst walking complaint" well, Samus is wearing(in case you haven't noticed) a friggin great power suit which would obviously restricts movement which is why to freelook you have to stop. Also I would say the game is 70% exploration and 30% shooting, the lock-on is there because well do you think an advanced race who can manipulate the space/time continuam wouldn't equip the power suit with an advanced targeting system, you also have an early warning type of system that warns you to enviromental dangers and a radar that tracks any enemys in range. When you enter a room for the first time and stand still you can't help but being gobsmacked by the beauty of it all, if you had a normal freelook you would miss so much and wouldn't take time out to admire the scenery. But the biggest reason for the non-twin analogue system is when engaged in combat you NEED to be able to switch to the right weapon in a split-second, if the weapons were mapped to a button you would have to cycle through to get the correct weapon by which time you would be taking a lot of hits, also you need to do this whilst runnning, jumping from platform to platform, turning in mid-air, lock-on, fire, change beam, fire missile, switch beam, fire again, lock on next enemy, etc etc. This wouldn't be possible with a twin analogue control system, you simply wouldn't have enough fingers, the combat in MP can be very fast paced and is pretty tactical, scanning for an enemys weak spot and exploiting it.
Sat 14/12/02 at 11:30
Regular
redeyez wrote:
> WEb dvd uk, unless you give me some gameplay details I won't believe
> you have played the game at all, answer me this simple question: In
> the game, when you have to go into ball mode for the first time to get
> through a collapsed coridoor and you come out the other side and turn
> the corner you will be attacked by something, what attacks you?
>
> If you can answer that then I apoligise for calling you a stinkin
> lying obviously x-box fanboy.

to be honest mate you can say what you want, and i am damn sure im not an Xbox fanboy!
in fact im not a fanboy at all!!

fanboys suck áss!!

i cant remember the begiinning part!

i am now in the caves and have just gone up the annoying platforms that move up and down.
i am in a room with a square enclosed area in the middle, there is an object inside.
it looks to me as though i need to somehow use that irritating rolly stick to walls move, which i cant yet do!
but i will keep trying!

i like the game dont get me wrong, but its just not all that i expected it to be, theres not really a lot to make me wanna keep playing.

ok, its not supposed to be action packed, but its action parts are so few and far between with all the enemies so far being lame and almost identical, giant gay bugs!
i want to have to run about, and use some skill to kill them!

yeah sure, solving puzzles is ok, and i like that, but having to shoot doors, or examine things to progress. lame!

come on nintendo you can do better than this!
Sat 14/12/02 at 12:31
Regular
"She's a dog!"
Buy medal of honor Frontline. Although it has been on ps2 for ages, the one on GC and Xbox is much better. My friend who has it on PS2 says that the slowdown is a lot less on the GC version and the multiplayer feature is superb. True there arent any bots but Goldeneye didnt have bots and Frontline has the best sniping ever in a game, me thinks, without being ruined by stupid Bots with machine guns.
Oh did I mention that it has the greatest single player of any of the FPS you have mentioned previously.
I forgot that you also kill Nazis, everyone loves that right.
Overall I feel that it was worth 40 pounds easy.

Other first persons i owned or have owned on GC are

Timesplitters 2 (rubbish one player mode and too easy)
Turok Evolution (quite bad single player which i found hard)
JB: Nightfire (which by the way is very good with a vast array of fantastic weapons)
Die Hard vendetta Poor visuals, no multiplayer, stupid auto aim feature
Sat 14/12/02 at 13:07
Regular
"hit the road jack"
davidsobell wrote:

> JB: Nightfire (which by the way is very good with a vast array of
> fantastic weapons)

After EA's poor attempt of a James Bond game i thought that nightfire will be another lame attempt but i really do like it. A mixture of everything is included
Sat 14/12/02 at 13:10
Regular
"Australian Person."
How hard is Nightfire?
Sat 14/12/02 at 13:14
Regular
"hit the road jack"
Its hard in places like the stealthy missions. But i completed it in a few days. But that was constant playing.
Sat 14/12/02 at 13:17
Regular
davidsobell wrote:

> Timesplitters 2 (rubbish one player mode and too easy)

Too easy? have you actually tryed playing it on Hard? as for the single player being rubbish I can't understand why people think this, there's tons of stuff to do and even more stuff to unlock.

> Die Hard vendetta Poor visuals, no multiplayer, stupid auto aim
> feature

Poor Visuals? have you actualy playted Die Hard?

The first level looks crap admiteddly but from then on the graphics get better and better.
Sat 14/12/02 at 14:17
Most of the animals are dumb but remember that was always the way in Metroid games but the space pirates are in no way dumb, some of them are tricky little mofos, of course you are entitled to your opinion but to say dead to rights is in any way better than Metroid is just plain wrong. I'd like to know a bit more as to why you don't like it, I'm genuinly interested as even my x-box owning mates who say crap like cube is for kids were totally slack-jawed when they saw and played MP, the controls took them a little to get used to but once they did they were loving it.
Sat 14/12/02 at 15:10
Regular
TimeSplitters2 is by far the best I've played, and Medal of Honour? Pffft, terrible game, terrible series, just another war game, that I hate.

Nightfire is also rubbish. Compared to TS2. And even Turok (:-0).
Sat 14/12/02 at 15:13
Regular
"^_^"
TS2 is the best. I think XIII would be the best next year though!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.