GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ram Fitting"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/02/02 at 18:19
Regular
Do you take out your old RAM? for Eg if there are 3 slots and one has a 64mb ram in to you take it out and put the 128 in or just keep the 64mb ram and put it in a spare slot so you have both?
Tue 19/02/02 at 18:19
Do you take out your old RAM? for Eg if there are 3 slots and one has a 64mb ram in to you take it out and put the 128 in or just keep the 64mb ram and put it in a spare slot so you have both?
Tue 19/02/02 at 19:14
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
If you've got three slots and they're the ones with the white clips at each end, then its 99% + certain that you can leave your 64Mb in, and add the 128Mb.
Tue 19/02/02 at 19:46
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Only take RAM out if you run out of slots. Otherwise why would there be more than one slot?
Tue 19/02/02 at 19:53
I thought that if you mis-matched RAM then your PC would throw up memory errors until you properly matched it??

For instance, if you had two slots, and put 32Mb in one and 64Mb in the other, you wouldn't end up with 96Mb, you would just get an error on boot up until you took one or the other out?

Am I totally wrong? Should I just stick to software? Mother....
Tue 19/02/02 at 19:54
In this case, 2 x 64Mb and 1 x 128Mb should work, 'cos it's all matched up, innit?
Tue 19/02/02 at 22:23
Regular
How old is your PC?

Unless it's really old (over about 4 years) then you don't have to match the RAM.

I.e, you can leave the 64M in, and add the 128M, giving you a total of 196M.

Bear in mind though, that if you use Windows 98, it's pointless having more than 128M, as Windows doesn't recognise it, so none of your programs will use it.

If you run W98, and don't plan to upgrade your OS soon, then just get another 64M, and add that in with your existing one.

If you have Win NT, 2K, or ME, then they CAN handle over 128, so you can then add your new 128 in with your existing 64.
Tue 19/02/02 at 23:51
Regular
You should be able to share both the sticks of ram but sometimes if they are differant makes then this can cause problems, i assume you are using DIMM ram (dual inline memory module) this upgrade will make a differance to your performance but i personally would have chosen 256MB as this will help in games, video and picture editing.

c.b.
Wed 20/02/02 at 08:03
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I always thought Win98 could handle 256mb of ram before it coughed. Ah well.
Wed 20/02/02 at 08:52
Regular
Win 98 can take 512MB ram easily but might find that it slows down.

c.b.

the 128MB problem wasnt to do with win98 but the way some bioses and motherboards didnt address it properly.
Wed 20/02/02 at 09:40
Regular
"Stud-muffin!!"
Put very basically:
Almost any DIMMS will go together nicely.
SIMMS mixed with DIMMS can cause major problems.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.