GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ram Fitting"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/02/02 at 18:19
Regular
Do you take out your old RAM? for Eg if there are 3 slots and one has a 64mb ram in to you take it out and put the 128 in or just keep the 64mb ram and put it in a spare slot so you have both?
Fri 22/02/02 at 17:46
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
You should fit in the memory stick that contains the most memory in slot one and then the smaller one in slot 2. Well, that's what I had to do to get my 256meg stick to work with a 128meg stick. :)
Thu 21/02/02 at 23:12
The difference between 128mb and 256mb was /very/ noticable and extremely welcome on this box.

The difference between 256mb and 512mb was even nicer :D
Thu 21/02/02 at 23:07
Regular
Doc, thanks for pointing that out.

I'd always thought it was Windows that was the problem.

Maybe I'll get some more RAM now...

Cheers mate!
Thu 21/02/02 at 20:59
Regular
"YTS Primate"
http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/tech/98/12/18/help.html

Well researched and informative Doc. The above while not written in stone points to the origin of the 64MB myth
Thu 21/02/02 at 19:57
I added 128mb of ram to my PC a couple of months ago, I just added it to the spare slot. I had 64mb in the other slot and they work fine together giving 192mb ram in total.
Thu 21/02/02 at 19:48
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?&ID=KB;EN-US;Q253912

suggests that 512Mb is the limit before Win98 gives up.

The forums at computing.net say that there's no problem until 512Mb. Also found this on a Google newsgroup:

"Windows itself can make use of up to 2 gb of physical RAM.
Adding more memory will improve performance if, and only if, the added memory results in reduced usage of the virtual memory swap file. Therefore if the swap file is not being used to any significant extent then adding more memory will not provide a significant improvement.
This applies regardless of how much or how little RAM is currently installed. Use the System Monitor utility that comes with Windows and set it to track "Memory manager: Swap file in use" for several days of normal to heavy usage. If "Swap file in use" regularly shows as 20 mb or more then the swap file is being used extensively and more memory would result in improved performance."

Someone else says that they reckon that 128Mb is pretty much enough for average usage, unless you're heavily into big graphics.

There's an odd option in the Msconfig program "Advanced" settings that allows you to limit memory to a number of Mb, but why you'd want to do that is beyond me. On my PC, the option is unchecked.

My PC has 256Mb, and it works fine, but I can't say that I notice any spectacular improvement over 128Mb. I got the extra RAM mainly because it was spectacularly cheap at the time.
Wed 20/02/02 at 15:41
Regular
"Win 98 can take 512MB ram easily but might find that it slows down."

I wouldn't be so sure...
Wed 20/02/02 at 09:40
Regular
"Stud-muffin!!"
Put very basically:
Almost any DIMMS will go together nicely.
SIMMS mixed with DIMMS can cause major problems.
Wed 20/02/02 at 08:52
Regular
Win 98 can take 512MB ram easily but might find that it slows down.

c.b.

the 128MB problem wasnt to do with win98 but the way some bioses and motherboards didnt address it properly.
Wed 20/02/02 at 08:03
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I always thought Win98 could handle 256mb of ram before it coughed. Ah well.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.