GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] The Walking Dead - Episode 2 - 360/PS3/PC"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Walking Dead: Episode 2 - Starved for Help'.
Wed 11/07/12 at 23:25
Regular
"Braaains"
Typical. You wait for one Walking Dead game and two come along at once. Not only are TellTale putting out their own episodic game, but Activision are also working on a game based on the TV series, allowing you to play as Daryl Dixon and his oh-so-hilariously racist brother Merle.

Telltale have just released the second episode in the Walking Dead series, albeit about a month later than originally planned, and it's pretty damn good. It starts on a rather gruesome note with you having to make a decision that may or may not involve having to cut someone's leg off. No, really. You play as Lee Everett, a former convict who has hooked up with a bunch of other survivors seeking to escape the zombie apocalypse.

Oddly, though, the problem you face in this episode isn't zombie based as such, although the walking dead do figure into things. Instead, you've got to deal with the fact that Lee and his fellow survivors are running out of food. This leads you on a sort of pointy/clicky quest to find a way of surviving.

If you're looking for a game where you get to shoot zombies in the head on a regular basis then you're best off with Dead Island. The Walking Dead, on the other hand, does feature several action sequences but much of the drama is character driven. Best of all, as is the case with the comic, no character is safe so don't be surprised if some of the characters peg it in this episode.

The game's graphics are not absolutely amazing but they do the job, and look suitably comic like without being too cartoony. The backgrounds do occasionally look a little bit like movie sets, but I can forgive that. The one genuine criticism I have is that while Telltale say your actions effect the way the game unfolds, that's not really the case.

The truth your actions only really change the way people speak to you. Take the episode's opening sequence for example. Of the three characters you meet, two always end up dying before the sequence is over, no matter what you do. I can appreciate that it'd be difficult for Telltale to include branching paths given that the game's episodic, but it still feels a linear. Maybe your decisions will have an impact on the game's final Episode 5 ending sequence, but that remains to be seen.

That said, The Walking Dead Episode 2 - and Episode 1 as well - are well worth the money. The story has plenty of twists and turns and shocks and it's replayable in so much as you can see how people react to you when you're mean to them second time around. Roll on Episode 3.
Wed 24/10/12 at 18:37
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Kenny is totally going to steal the boat, isnt he? Jerk
Tue 23/10/12 at 19:57
Regular
"Monochromatic"
McLong wrote:
For those who haven't played any of the game yet, they are releasing a retail version which includes the first 4 episodes (and a voucher to download the 5th upon release)

That would be a bit silly. Everything I've read has said the game will go retail with all 5 episodes on (I think) December 4th.

EDIT
Yeah that's what the article says.

Nin:
Show Spoiler
[/i]

Show Spoiler
Tue 23/10/12 at 12:13
Regular
Yeah, I thought it was a bit of a weak episode, especially compared to the excellent episode 3. None of the decisions had me really caring about the consequences, and based on the statistics at the end of the game, most players agreed with me.

The ending was pretty good though, and certainly sets up for an interesting finale. I particularly liked how you can seriously alter the characters who start episode 5 alongside you.

For those who haven't played any of the game yet, they are releasing a retail version which includes the first 4 episodes (and a voucher to download the 5th upon release). There's also a pretty nifty special edition that includes a compendium of the comic series. More here.

Nin:
Show Spoiler
Mon 22/10/12 at 21:44
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Episode 4 was somewhat disappointing, but I guess that's what happens when you hire the guy who wrote The Book of Eli to write an episode for you. It's all setup for the finale now though and the time for answers is rather obviously running out.
Mon 17/09/12 at 21:17
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Looks like I really must download some of the episodes. I have the demo which I am yet to play, but watched the video walkthrough. I'm not good with zombies in general (one fictional opponent I do NOT like...) but judging by the review and all the comments, it sounds brilliant!
Mon 17/09/12 at 20:17
Regular
"Monochromatic"
McLong wrote:
Show Spoiler

Show Spoiler
Mon 17/09/12 at 15:22
Regular
Nin wrote:
Episode 3 is brutal. It's just getting to a point now where you're wondering how much more this game can throw at you. Nothing is off-limits anymore, no-one is safe, 2 episodes left, be afraid.

Brutal is certainly the right word for it, and thoroughly entertaining too. It is certainly worth the money (as were the previous episodes).

Show Spoiler
Tue 11/09/12 at 22:49
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Episode 3 is brutal. It's just getting to a point now where you're wondering how much more this game can throw at you. Nothing is off-limits anymore, no-one is safe, 2 episodes left, be afraid.
Wed 05/09/12 at 19:31
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Try here chummy:

WD Free (Removed - see below.)

Google haha

Either should solve your question ;¬)

Mod Edit: Sorry, I've altered your first link as I'm not sure it's legal! The link below goes to the Wiki page that explains a bit about it.

TV Links
Wed 05/09/12 at 18:01
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
james.222 wrote:
how can i watch walking dead episodes on computer for free?

I'm not sure you can. You might just need to rent it from the DVD shop or buy it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.