GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 £140?!!!!!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 18/02/02 at 16:04
Regular
OK, a little rumour control required but I've heard via a spy at Comet that they have heard the PS2 price is expected to come down to £140 just before Xbox launch.

Now it does sound a little extreme (£170 was more likely) but I have to say that along with the Platinum range it will make buying an Xbox a very hard decision to make for some.

On top of that the Gamecube is out before much longer and Sony don't want to make a habit of constantly reducing the price - that would make it sound like a panic move.

So - PS2 for £140?
I'm still a little unsure but what a ballsy move if it's true....
Wed 20/02/02 at 12:08
Regular
"  "
Apparently it went up £20quid because some shops refused to sell it aat £150. That was either wrote on SR or in the' Mirror' newspaper.
Wed 20/02/02 at 12:00
Regular
Oh, and look out for Gamecube adverts on MTV starting this week :)
Wed 20/02/02 at 11:58
Regular
Well, thats just what I've seen in the newspapers. I saw a HMV and dixons advertisement. Both saying Reserve your Gamecube now, with the price being £169.99.

Thats also the price gameplay are selling it for.
Wed 20/02/02 at 11:24
Regular
Or†ega wrote:
But Gamecube is coming out for
> £170 (not £150) in the shops so dont expect the PS2 to fall to much.

Really? When was that announced? Sorry, I`m not very up to date when it comes to Nintendo announcements.
Tue 19/02/02 at 16:09
Regular
We could see a real Price war here...

But Gamecube is coming out for £170 (not £150) in the shops so dont expect the PS2 to fall to much.

Even SR have put their GC price up to £165.

Prices could be absolutly mad this chirstmas...hopefully anyway...When was the last time we had a 3 way battle like this?! Its all good for us, the customer.
Tue 19/02/02 at 11:43
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Three people in my office are just waiting for the next price drop - so there you go Sony - drop the price and you will sell three more PS2's just like that...
Tue 19/02/02 at 11:40
Regular
"360: swfcman"
However, being only rumours no point getting any hopes up.
Tue 19/02/02 at 11:39
Regular
"360: swfcman"
nh wrote:
> Rumours, rumours - most people in here have probably already got their PS2's
> anyway so unfortunately it wont affect us.

True is wont affect the most of us but would possibly really effect the market if it does happen. Imagine the price going this far down a week before the GC or X-box launch. How many people do you think would be attracted to the PS2 then eh? :D
Tue 19/02/02 at 11:36
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Rumours, rumours - most people in here have probably already got their PS2's anyway so unfortunately it wont affect us.
Tue 19/02/02 at 11:22
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> No offense, but all these people in Comet claiming to have "inside
> knowledge" about release dates and news are just plain lying- usually
> elaborating on rumours they've heard

Sonic

You're probably right and as I said, this is strictly through the grapevine stuff so it could be utter rubbish.

It's just likely that a price reduction will come around Xbox launch and I haven't even heard that £170 has been confirmed.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.