GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ninty Ninty Ninty!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 18/02/02 at 15:02
Regular
From SNES to X-box, games consoles whether you like it or not they will all have their days in the doghouse.
Some have had more days in the doghouse than others.
Nintendo have had quite a few, sometimes even having days on end in the doghouse.
They will probably have a few more when the Cube comes out sometime in spring/summer.
They have also had some very very good days, like when they lunched the spectacular Super Mario World64.

Nintendo themselves are very good at making games, but aren't they all just a little bit childish?
I suppose they are but let me explain why they always make kiddie games.

The Majority of people that own N64's are fairly young children right?
So what they've done is they've made games looking from a child's perspective.
'cos after all they do want to make games for the younger audience.
Hey at least they are making loadsa money from it, 'cos that's what all-major game developers aim to do.

While some of Nintendo's games may seem childish to the more mature audience they seem perfectly ok to the younger audience.
Even some adults find some of Nintendo's games ok.
Only games like Donkey Kong64 and Banjo Tooie seem to attract an older audience.
Why?

Because games like Donkey Kong64 have been made so as to be suitable for younger people yet still appeal to older people at the same time.
How they manage to do it I don't know, but it's certainly pulling in the punters.
They're obviously doing something right because millions of people young and old alike are buying all of Nintendo's own games. So Nintendo are a kids video game company, so what?
I like Nintendo, I like the games Nintendo have made that I have bought.

Whether Nintendo will keep to their childish games or not when their new Console comes out I don't know.
What I do know is that the GameCube will be a revolutionary console in every conceivable way.
Whilst the GameCube may not be as advanced as the GameCube it will certainly give Nintendo a morale boost if nothing else.
The GameCube features some of the latest in Gaming technology and it has the ability for some truly spectacular gaming.
No doubt there will be lots of childish games from Nintendo but there will most definitely be some classics that come out of this fantastic console.
Such as the very latest Zelda game featuring Links new makeover.
What a makeover for Link?

Personally I think Link looked Ok the way he was but apparently Shigsy didn't like the old Link in the new game so he decided to give him a new look.
What does he think he's playing at? Nobody can make the Link look better than the original. Nutter!
Still it's his character so he can do what he wants with it.
He could even give Link a sex change and put him in a bikini! Ugh! What a horrible thought. That would be an insult to Zelda fans world-wide.
Link's new cutsie look may be shigsy's undoing, but we will have to wait and see.
Still I think that the new Zelda game should go down well, afterall the Zelda series has been on of Nintendo's best achievements.

Zelda OOT is by far the best game for the N64 and it's arguably the best RPG in the world.
I loved the Zelda series.
Zelda DX was good on the Game Boy but this game just topped the cake.
A Goldeneye beater if ever there was one.
Personally I thought OOT was better than Goldeneye because of Zelda OOT's huge lifespan.
It took me about 3 weeks just to find the longshot that you get when you get Dampe in a race in his grave.
It was the finding the grave that was difficult but from then on it was mainly smooth sailing.
That's just what makes a good game a good game.
A good game like OOT needs plenty of puzzles to solve and even more baddies to cut to pieces than GTA3 has cars.
Zelda will be remembered by many as a Legendary game in it's own right.

You wouldn't believe that a kiddies company could make such a great game would you?
But they did.
I'm sure they will continue making there great kids games for years to come and keep a lot of youngsters and even adults very happy indeed.
They certainly kept me happy.

Did they do the same for you?
Well they should have done especially as they were the creators of the terrific F-Zero-X.
Which wasn't graphically impressive but the gameplay was just somthin' else.
Don't you agree?

Thanks for reading! :)
Tue 19/02/02 at 12:55
"I hate that!!!"
I'm glad most of you liked my post.

Se Im'm not shaneo afterall am I?

If anybody dares to question who I am again I will take drastic measures.
And you know what that means don't you?
Tue 19/02/02 at 11:05
Well...the WHOLE subject has kinda collapsed so i'm gonna carry on ...... =)

I must admit Zelda OoT was one of my favorite games of all time but WAKE UP!!.... Nintendo just don't produce the games they used to. The age of Zelda, Mario and others has passed.....IT'S the PS2's turn now!!

Now u may be thinking 'ah, there's another of those stupid Sony loyalist'BUT I HAVE AN N64 (gathering dust behind my PC) and quite frankly games like MGS2, Devil May Cry, Tekken Tag, GTA3 and WipEout Fusion are now in play.hehehehehe

(but in my opinion the PC will rule forever hehaahahahaahahaaaaaaaaaaaa)

=]
Tue 19/02/02 at 10:55
Meka Dragon wrote:
> The Flying Scotsman wrote:

>Curse you Meka for being so
> smart

:-)

Yep I did like the post. I knew it was you because you're a
> Scotsman, and some of the phrases used in the post sound like things you've
> written about in the past.

Bahh....Humbug.

I hope it wins.

Good i'm glad you liked it.
Tue 19/02/02 at 10:54
Regular
"not dead"
The Flying Scotsman wrote:

>Curse you Meka for being so smart

:-)

Yep I did like the post. I knew it was you because you're a Scotsman, and some of the phrases used in the post sound like things you've written about in the past.
Tue 19/02/02 at 10:47
Gangsta Hamsta wrote:
> LOL @ Dogsnads
I want my mummy.

Well at least I might get a GAD out of it.

Hopefully.

Curse you Meka for being so smart
Tue 19/02/02 at 10:44
Regular
"Not your monkey"
LOL @ Dogsnads
Tue 19/02/02 at 10:43
Why does this have to happen to me!
Tue 19/02/02 at 10:41
Gangsta Hamsta wrote:
> Meka Dragon wrote:
> (I reckon you're Donought Monster)

Sounds about
> right to me!

Damn you damn you and DAMN YOU!

It's not fair

*Runs of to a corner to sulk*

That was a good post Meka!

You Like mine then?
Tue 19/02/02 at 09:52
Regular
"Not your monkey"
Meka Dragon wrote:
> (I reckon you're Donought Monster)

Sounds about right to me!
Tue 19/02/02 at 09:42
Regular
"not dead"
Yeah I'm a Ninty. I don't wear big red dungarees, or green felt. I don't have a cheesy moustache, or pointy ears, but any time I want to play as these characters I can do so.

I'm a Ninty. I play Nintendo games. I enjoy Nintendo games.

Stick me in a kart and let me race around the Mushroom Kingdom rather than around a dull circuit in a shiny car. Let me use red homing shells to catch the leader, not realistic handling.

I'd rather jump in the clouds with the sun shining than crawl around a gloomy ship.

Does this mean I'm 10 years old? No I'm 24.

I know what I like in a game, and it's fun and jolly. There's too much bleak in the world, let me play in complete fantasy.

Sometimes, just sometimes, it's nice to play on other types of games. The Grand Theft Auto's and Metal Gear Solid's are tremendous fun, but on the whole it's only the outstanding games like this that have any appeal. A run of the mill 3rd person sneaker/shooter wouldn't normally appeal to me, too serious, so it has to be good if I'm to play it.

Most of the games that Nintendo's consoles have become famous for will instantly bring a smile to my face. Chasing a monkey that has stolen Mario's hat will have me in stitches, as Mario dives head first into a wall, and goes "Oopff!" Hiding behind a crate and popping up to shoot a few soldiers doesn't have the same appeal. It's a challenge I'll take on, but not necessarily one that I'd think about all day long, and greatly anticipate playing again.

Maybe there's something wrong with a 24 year old that would rather play at saving the Princess from Bowser rather than saving Private Ryan?

Or maybe there isn't. Maybe I know what I like, and I intend to enjoy the time I spend gaming, not just playing the games aimed at a 'mature' audience because of my age.

I can't wait to get my Gamecube. Luigi's Mansion, Super Monkey Ball, Sonic Adventure 2, Pikmin. Not exactly a mature bunch of games, but the ones I'd like to play. Watching the video of Luigi cowering away from the ghosts has made me laugh, I want to play that. The multiplayer in Super Monkey Ball is pure fun, by the looks of things, and many reports.

Of two highly anticipated games coming to the Gamecube in the USA in June, Starfox Adventures and Eternal Darkness, most Ninties are more looking forward to Starfox. No doubt the rating will deem it fit from ages 3 and above, whilst Eternal Darkness will be no less than a 'teen' content, probably 'mature'.

As much as I'd like Eternal Darkness, Starfox is higher up the list, and will sell more copies. Not because being a Ninty is about bright colours and childish games, it's about fun and exciting games. StarFox shouts 'fun' at me. Eternal Darkness is less immediate in it's appeal, the promise of psychological horror could be amazing, and the game has innovative features, something really different, but whether it will be any fun remains to be seen. (Silicon Knights are WAY too secretive though).

So what am I saying?

Basically, if anyone thinks Nintendo games are all about childish gameplay and bright colours then they're wrong. Many of the top titles appeal to the child in you though, but this really isn't a bad thing.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.