GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"£300 please, ah you want to play DVD's sir, that an extra £30"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 18/02/02 at 09:22
Regular
I think that it's damn right dirty of a games manufactures to charge more money for the buyer to use features or games on there console.
Mon 25/06/12 at 18:51
We're looking at doing Rivington this Wednesday.

Meet at the usual bit on the avenue at 17:45.....
Mon 18/02/02 at 20:58
Regular
PinkPig wrote:
1) The PS2
> was released originally for £299.99, the same as the X-Box. Contary to
> common belief, it did NOT play DVDs straight out of the box - you had to buy a
> memory card - £19.99. You want a remote control - the official one is
> another £20-30.
Whereas the X-Box charges £30 for DVD playback,
> with a remote control - the charges here are practically identical to the
> PS2

2) Memory cards. It doesn't matter that the X-Box Memory card costs
> £50. Who is going to buy one? Probably very few people - the XBox has a
> 8 GIG HARDDRIVE - you only need a memory card if you want to share saves with
> your mates. Every other console on the market needs a card £20-30, to
> play almost any game properly.

Where the hell do you get your infomation from?
Mon 18/02/02 at 20:33
"possibly impossible"
Now now, the X-box is a good console that offers people who don't own a PC to experience the joys of PC gaming by emulating the great user-friendliness and reliability of Windows on your TV. They set it at a competitive price compared to the equivalent weight in gold and included DVD playback out of the box (as long as the box is the extra one with the DVD controller in).

;-)
Mon 18/02/02 at 20:31
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
adrian wrote:
> PinkPig wrote:

1) The PS2
> was released originally for £299.99,
> the same as the X-Box. Contary to
> common belief, it did NOT play DVDs
> straight out of the box - you had to buy a
> memory card - £19.99.
> You want a remote control - the official one is
> another
> £20-30.

Yes it did play DVD's out of the box. You dont need a memory
> card, I use mine with out a memory card in when playing DVD's. Your thinking of
> Region-X, which needs a memory card to unlock the region.

You may want to buy
> a remote but the controller is easy enough to use aswell. It has enough cable
> for you to sit across the other side of the room.

Yeah I was watching DVD's before I payed out £30 for a memory card. I also still dont have a remote and use the simple, easy to use controller.
Mon 18/02/02 at 20:26
Jimmy Duck wrote:
> I think that it's damn right dirty of a games manufactures to charge more money
> for the buyer to use features or games on there console.

--------------

You mean to say that the XBOX DVD feature is running at £30?

That's outrageous! It's near to buying one game, if you think about it. An extra £40 and I can get myself a multiregion DVD player of my own.

What a rip-off1

The only company not stealing our money is Nintendo.
Mon 18/02/02 at 19:56
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
PinkPig wrote:

1) The PS2
> was released originally for £299.99, the same as the X-Box. Contary to
> common belief, it did NOT play DVDs straight out of the box - you had to buy a
> memory card - £19.99. You want a remote control - the official one is
> another £20-30.

Yes it did play DVD's out of the box. You dont need a memory card, I use mine with out a memory card in when playing DVD's. Your thinking of Region-X, which needs a memory card to unlock the region.

You may want to buy a remote but the controller is easy enough to use aswell. It has enough cable for you to sit across the other side of the room.
Mon 18/02/02 at 19:46
Regular
I think you're missing a couple of rather vital points here - I don't mean to say "X-Box is perfect" - I'm not saying that. It's expensive, and there aren't neccessarily that great games available yet. BUT!!

1) The PS2 was released originally for £299.99, the same as the X-Box. Contary to common belief, it did NOT play DVDs straight out of the box - you had to buy a memory card - £19.99. You want a remote control - the official one is another £20-30.
Whereas the X-Box charges £30 for DVD playback, with a remote control - the charges here are practically identical to the PS2

2) Memory cards. It doesn't matter that the X-Box Memory card costs £50. Who is going to buy one? Probably very few people - the XBox has a 8 GIG HARDDRIVE - you only need a memory card if you want to share saves with your mates. Every other console on the market needs a card £20-30, to play almost any game properly.

As I said, the X-Box isn't great (yet). But there doesn't seem any point in trying to find cost issues and expenses that really don't exist!

See Ya ;-)

PinkPig
Mon 18/02/02 at 14:07
"High polygon count"
Or†ega wrote:
> woah ****. He aint kidding. Thats gotta be a mistake.

Another exapmle of rip-off Britain?

The US price is $34.99 - which is still expensive if you do the usual straight $1 = £1 conversion.
Mon 18/02/02 at 14:00
Regular
woah ****. He aint kidding. Thats gotta be a mistake.
Mon 18/02/02 at 13:59
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
They also charge an extra £20 for each patch which supposedly stops it crashing, but never does.

Its like on Tommorow never Dies: Elliot Carver sticks a load of bugs in his software, so people have to pay to keep upgrading it

:D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.