GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Laptop Advice"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/06/12 at 21:08
Regular
"I like turtles"
My old trusty Toshiba Satellite has finally given up the ghost so I'm looking for a reasonable budget (ish) laptop. Not needed to play games but I do watch HD video on it. Found this which looks alright for the money. Anyone know of any better options out there or suggestions on manufacturers that I should perhaps consider or avoid like the plague? As I'm not playing games presume that I don't really need one with a dedicated graphics card or do I? Be grateful of any help, cheers.
Thu 14/06/12 at 14:34
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
pete_21 wrote:
So it looks like my options (within my budget) are either a slightly lower spec CPU with less RAM but with a dedicated graphics card or a slightly better CPU with more RAM but an integrated card? Benchmark test figures on the i5 2430M do seem to be a fair bit higher than the CPU's in the 2 clearance models.

Its not even a contest in my opinion. You sacrifice CPU, RAM & HDD for a bottom end GFX card that doesnt perform much better than the intel one. If you really want a dedicated GFX card, they've got an Acer Aspire 5750G on there with a GT 540M for 430 pounds, much better trade off in my opinion. However, if you dont want to play games I cant see why you'd bother.

Don't know if the HP or Lenovo machines would be better quality than the Packard Bell though? Think HP's Pro-Book is their flagship range so that might well be worth considering?

ProBooks are a budget range aimed at the business user, the flagship range is the EliteBook. I doubt you're going to find significant differences in quality at the price point you're looking at anyway.
Thu 14/06/12 at 07:56
Regular
"I like turtles"
Thanks for the comments guys, really appreciated.

So it looks like my options (within my budget) are either a slightly lower spec CPU with less RAM but with a dedicated graphics card or a slightly better CPU with more RAM but an integrated card? Benchmark test figures on the i5 2430M do seem to be a fair bit higher than the CPU's in the 2 clearance models.

Hard drive size is not really an issue as a 1TB drive is not something I would ever fill on a laptop TBH.

Don't know if the HP or Lenovo machines would be better quality than the Packard Bell though? Think HP's Pro-Book is their flagship range so that might well be worth considering?

Will do a bit more homework and have think, thanks again for the help guys.
Wed 13/06/12 at 22:30
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
So what's wrong with these ... especially the top two?

Laptops for Pete
:¬)
Wed 13/06/12 at 21:42
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Thats decent for the money I think, those laptops always seem to get good reviews these days. Maybe the screen resolution is an issue if you're going to watch full HD videos?
Wed 13/06/12 at 21:08
Regular
"I like turtles"
My old trusty Toshiba Satellite has finally given up the ghost so I'm looking for a reasonable budget (ish) laptop. Not needed to play games but I do watch HD video on it. Found this which looks alright for the money. Anyone know of any better options out there or suggestions on manufacturers that I should perhaps consider or avoid like the plague? As I'm not playing games presume that I don't really need one with a dedicated graphics card or do I? Be grateful of any help, cheers.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.