GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox - poor launch games."

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 17/02/02 at 19:14
Regular
Is it me or aren't the Xbox launch games poor? When a new console comes out, it needs good launch games to support it.
Xbox have got games like Abe's Oddyssey and Project Gotham, when Gamecube have got Luigi's Mansion and Star Wars:Rouge Leader. Does anyone else agree?
Sun 03/03/02 at 12:35
Regular
Tequila Sunset wrote:
> Yeah and I think everyone on this forum accepts that, or at least should but the
> thing is (from my experiance anyways)that alot of nintys can't take this and (as
> proved by the starter of this topic) can't seem to just leave it as it is. The
> PS2 will have a following. The Xbox will have a following. The GC will have a
> following.
Now can everyone stop posting I hate Sony/ninty/MS topics!!!

Well can you think of loads of new topics then?
Mon 25/02/02 at 17:55
Regular
"Unknown Legend"
Yeah and I think everyone on this forum accepts that, or at least should but the thing is (from my experiance anyways)that alot of nintys can't take this and (as proved by the starter of this topic) can't seem to just leave it as it is. The PS2 will have a following. The Xbox will have a following. The GC will have a following.
Now can everyone stop posting I hate Sony/ninty/MS topics!!!
Mon 25/02/02 at 10:40
Regular
"not dead"
Here's a phrase for you kids:

"Different strokes for different folks"

Oh, and "It takes different strokes to rule the world" but that was from the theme to the TV show Different Strokes, not sure there's any validity in the statement.

So yeah, some people will like the launch games on one system better than the other, fine.

Still, some of your arguements are absolutely ridiculous.

Surely before you can determine whether the physics of a game are any good, you have to actually play it? Ypu can't guage much about the physics of a water based game with holding that pad, and trying to control your character/ vehicle.

Nintendo don't trake any risks, hey?

Is that why the Japanese are already playing Animal Forset, a strange 'communication game' (and loving it, may I add).

Animal Leader (might be out already) is a kind of evolution game, in which you feed on other animals, and take on some of their charactistics (this also has a very odd cubist look to it)

Doshin the Giant, another very different game, with you manipulation the good and evil sides of a giant to change events on an island.

Yes Nintendo throw their big franchise characters around a bit, but it's never to sell a poor game. Mario Golf and Mario Tennis were excellent multiplayer games, that would have been just as good without Mario.

Rather than saying Nintendo don't take risks, I'd be more inclined to say that they were innovators with a sense of tradition.

The Xbox doesn't appeal to me. The games are too average, in my opinion. - I'm not saying they won't be great games, but there's just nothing there that grabs me, and makes me want one.

If you like it, fine buy one. I hope you enjoy it. But not everyone will fell the same way. Accept that.
Mon 25/02/02 at 10:02
Belldandy wrote:
So they
> faked their press release then ? And I guess the one about the Sony PLatinum
> range is wrong too, and the Metal Gear Solid 2 bundle, and about hte increased
> Gamecube sales in Japan, and Starfox having no release date in America
> yet.

Star fox HAS got a release date. June 10th. Shows Game Network arent always right ;)

And when was
> this press conference ? Unless you were actualy there then surely any report of
> that conference is only as reliable as Game Networks press release eh?

It was quoted on IGN.

56K Gaming is poor, I've used it many a
> time, dropped connections, lag times, it sucks basically ! Bt recently lowered
> Broadband costs nad is set to again all through this year. By the time its
> needed it'll be affordable.

But sadly some people only have the 56k option. Research shows only 20% of European households will have Broadband by 2005.

Yes, thankfully. Because its old technology. If theres
> anyone here with Boradband then they'll you its exellent for online
> gaming.

Broadband is excellent yes. But surely XBox should cater for those without it?

Of
> course its common knowledge that Nintendo acts like the proverbial wicked
> stepmother towards Europe.

Has been true in the past. I think the fact that Microsoft are releasing the $299 XBox for £299 could add them into the wicked stepmother category ;) At least Nintendo have kept the price down and have finally sorted out the 60hz - Full Screen complaints of the Europeans.

Fanboys LOL ! thats a term that started in
> the comic industry and ...after all its only really Nintendo that seems to have
> this "fanboy" following ! I don't care about the Nintendo worshippers,
> I go where the games are the best and ever since I sold my SNES many many years
> ago, that path hasn't led me to a Nintendo console, and I doubt I'm the only
> one.

I didnt ask you to care about them. I was just proving that Nintendo does take risks. What could be worse than upsetting your very own "worshippers"? Every console has fanboys to an extent. Give you 3 months before people are referring to "Gatesy" in here :p

I follow the path that leadsme to the best games too. Guess where Ive ended up?
Mon 25/02/02 at 09:34
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
GrimMetal wrote:
> 1) I would never believe the Game Network.

So they faked their press release then ? And I guess the one about the Sony PLatinum range is wrong too, and the Metal Gear Solid 2 bundle, and about hte increased Gamecube sales in Japan, and Starfox having no release date in America yet.

2) The developers in a press
> conference stressed that an Online Nintendo version was >priority before the XBox
> version.

And when was this press conference ? Unless you were actualy there then surely any report of that conference is only as reliable as Game Networks press release eh?

3) Nintendo are allowing the Game to be packaged with both >the
> Normal Modem and The Broadband adaptor.

56K Gaming is poor, I've used it many a time, dropped connections, lag times, it sucks basically ! Bt recently lowered Broadband costs nad is set to again all through this year. By the time its needed it'll be affordable.

4) Am I right in saying XBox doesnt
> support plain old 56k?

Yes, thankfully. Because its old technology. If theres anyone here with Boradband then they'll you its exellent for online gaming.

5) Has done of your mates got an XBox? How much did he
> pay?

Nope, but you may have noticed the large number of demo pods around, which its easy to get a go on depending what time it is, being a student with loads of spare time :) its easy. My friends are getting Xboxes but don't want to be ripped off by Importers, want some kind of product backup if things do go wrong, and would like to be able to buy UK games. Many games, for Microsoft and Sony, get UK releases before US ones - e.g. Buffy and Ralisport challenge. Of course its common knowledge that Nintendo acts like the proverbial wicked stepmother towards Europe.

>6) If you could see the reaction of the Nintendo fanboys then you would
> realise Nintendo are taking risks. I forgot to mention Metroid Prime not being
> all third person as they had all dreamt for years and >years.

Fanboys LOL ! thats a term that started in the comic industry and ...after all its only really Nintendo that seems to have this "fanboy" following ! I don't care about the Nintendo worshippers, I go where the games are the best and ever since I sold my SNES many many years ago, that path hasn't led me to a Nintendo console, and I doubt I'm the only one.
Mon 25/02/02 at 09:21
1) I would never believe the Game Network.

2) The developers in a press conference stressed that an Online Nintendo version was priority before the XBox version.

3) Nintendo are allowing the Game to be packaged with both the Normal Modem and The Broadband adaptor.

4) Am I right in saying XBox doesnt support plain old 56k?

5) Has done of your mates got an XBox? How much did he pay?

6) If you could see the reaction of the Nintendo fanboys then you would realise Nintendo are taking risks. I forgot to mention Metroid Prime not being all third person as they had all dreamt for years and years.
Mon 25/02/02 at 09:09
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
GrimMetal wrote:
> Im not arguing the marketing viewpoint mate. I know for a fact Nintendo will
> lose the console "battle".

I'm not trying to make you cahgne your choice, just stating what I believe and actual facts, its nothing personal !

>(youve got an
> import X-Box I presume?)

No because I want an official UK one, with a warranty for starters....

>I can't believe you claim Nintendo doesnt take
> risks!!! You listed a Racing Game, A Snowboard game, A >Fighter and an FPS as
> taking risks!

I never said those games were taking risk, I went out of my way to point out that these are games designed for a wide appeal. The risks I ment were the ones taken in who develops games for the console . Microsoft and Sony used a lot of third part people such as Bungie for Halo, to provide launch day games. Nintendo are using their own games that they have total control over.

>What about upsetting all the pathetic Nintendo fanboys by
> turning Link Cell Shaded for Legend of Zelda Cubed? >Taking away Star Fox's dull
> space shooter only game and placing him on foot? Now >those are risks imo.

Yeah, Nintendo style risks....Cell shading is nothing new, and mixing a bit of running around on the ground between space battles isnt exactly earth shattering.

>BTW
> You seem to keep referring to Gamecube as a console that >won't be going online?
> Then how come my cube clearly has support for a 56k OR >Broadband adaptor on the
> bottom and will be getting the first Non Dreamcast >version of Phantasy Star
> Online?

Really ? Latest news is that Nintendo are still yet to decide what to do and that Phantasy Star online is also coming to the Xbox, with included online support, but the Nintendo version does not have this yet because Nintendo are messing around - multiplayer link up and 4 player gamers are supported however - Game Network were, for once, the first to state this information and it was an official press release from the developers.
Mon 25/02/02 at 08:59
Im not arguing the marketing viewpoint mate. I know for a fact Nintendo will lose the console "battle". But that doesnt mean I should change my choice to follow the crowd or the more popular choice now does it ;) As I say everybody has their own choices. And my choice is that I enjoy the games on my console more than the others. You have made that choice too! (youve got an import X-Box I presume?)

I can't believe you claim Nintendo doesnt take risks!!! You listed a Racing Game, A Snowboard game, A Fighter and an FPS as taking risks! What about Pikmin? What about Nintendos first ever next gen gory game Eternal Darkness? What about upsetting all the pathetic Nintendo fanboys by turning Link Cell Shaded for Legend of Zelda Cubed? Taking away Star Fox's dull space shooter only game and placing him on foot? Now those are risks imo.

BTW You seem to keep referring to Gamecube as a console that won't be going online? Then how come my cube clearly has support for a 56k OR Broadband adaptor on the bottom and will be getting the first Non Dreamcast version of Phantasy Star Online?
Sun 24/02/02 at 18:12
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
GrimMetal wrote:
I may as well pick
> through your list as you did the cube one:
>project Gotham - Eye candy and not much else.

Can tell you've never played this then !

>Prject EGO - Most of Molywotsits game are all hype and no >trousers.

Molywotsits ? You mean Molyneux ? Well you're wong there. Lionhead are providing support to the development team Big Blue Box, basically Molyneux is supporting this new team by taking all the paperwork and stuff away from them leaving the to concentrate on the game itself. Microsoft, having seen the game, are also providing support - as in probably cash - to get this game finished. If you don't beliee me go look at the newest XBM. Its Xbox only.

>Enclave - Never heard of to be
> honest.

Well you should have, whilst the concept is nothing new it does have some interesting ideas and graphics are amazing, very dark and gothic.

>Amped - Looks so slow. My mate was playing it in oxford >street and although looking very nice he didnt think the >gameplay stoof up to
> much.

Well the one I played on wasn't slow...sure its no SSX Tricky but thats because its a different game. Theres no point blasting down the slopes to the bottom because you're after tricks to advance your career, not a fast finish time. a 30 minute go is hardly enough to get into a game like this.

>Transworld Surfing - pretty good but not great.

The water is just as good, if not better, than Waveraces - and thats just based on running demo videos I've seen. The game has got mixed previews but until anyone actually plays it its hard to say.

>Wreckless - This game is apparenly bug ridden and
> s***e.

May I suggest the source of this information, or lies, about this game, is also "bug ridden and s***e". Clearly its not. The only doubts about it are longevity, but hte replay value should be high anyway.
>Gun Valkyrie - A big let down from Sega.

Really ? Before its even released ? Wow how do you know ???

>The Thing - Im getting the pc
> version.

To look as good its going to require something like a £250 graphics card, plus survival horror games are rubbish with PC gamepads, or *horror* keyboard and mouse.

>Battle Engine Aquila - Never heard of.

Its a game slated for Autumn/Winter and on visuals alone blows things like Starfox - delayed again ? - away.

>Dino Crisis 3 - Could eb kool.

Hopefully, we maynot be getting Resident Evil, unless it doesn sell enough :), but we've got this, the dinosaurs are Jurassic Park standard so it should be amazing.

>Ironstorm - Again not sure on this one.

Kind of alternate universe Medal Of Honour, again looks amazing and early previews suggest it "could" be a Medal Of Honour beater.

>Ghost Recon - Not my type
> of game,

Good job seeing as you don't seem to get that type of game with Nintendo, with broadband net play this will be excellent, and hopefully will support Microsoft's gaming headset.

>Silent Hill 2 - I hated this on ps2. Too linear and not >interactive
> enough. Not to mention poor slow cinematic sequences.

Well this isnt the PS2 version......

>House Of The Dead 3 - That
> is the one thing I think Cube needs, A light gun. But >hten light gun games are
> short enough for arcade only play imo.

Time Crisis 2 sold well enough - I think if a developer can create a good enough game then the shortness doesnt matter, gun games are fun if done properly- though hopefully the light gun isn't going to end up looking like SEGA menacer or the SNES Superscope (lightgun ? That was more like light bazooka)

>The good thing about
> msot of the cube games is that they are proven licenses, chances are they wont
> fail, unlike some recent XBox efforts..

Thats another thing I don't like about Nintendo - they don't take risks. When Sony launched the Playstation they signed up alsorts of people and ended up with many many brilliant games from almost unknown development teams. Microsoft are doing the same. Yes, nintendo know that Mario = profit, but for how long...? After all it didnt save the N64 did it ?Games like GTA3 and SOE sell consoles - I don't like them - but they sell consoles, as do titles like Project Gotham and DOA3 (whatever the faults are) and HALO. IN the Gamecube Nintendo have aperfect console for all their fans- they get the same kinds of games and spinoffs they enjoy, but can they, like Sony have done and Microsoft hope to do, draw in more non gamers and get their cash ? I mean people who've avoided consoles until now, people who aren't familiar with nintendos pile of characters or don't care about them ? I'd bet not. Halo doesnt need anyone to be familiar with it, you see it running and its a shooting game, Project Gotham is racing game pulling tricks, DOA3 is fighting with amazing graphics, Amped looks briliant and its snowboarding. These are gaems that get non gamers attention.

As I've said before the 16-30 age group spends the majority of money in the games industry, they buy the new games on release and the console before its gathering dust. The Xbox price makes it expensive, and the Gamecubes cheap compared to it, pretty much the situation when the N64 went up against the more expensive Playstation. The N64 sold well as a present at christmas, birthdays etc because of its price, but the games never did as well as the Playstation's.

With an increasing amount of games gaining an age rating the age group a company targets a console at is very important. As sad as it seems BBFC rated games increase a consoles reputation - how many kids want a PS2 because of GTA3 and SOE ? Loads. Nintendo may get a BBFC rating for Resident Evil but thats about it. Wholesome fun isn't a guranteed winner anymore if you want to make money in the games industry !
Sun 24/02/02 at 17:19
Regular
Genius boy seems to do that regularly

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.