GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cheats - who needs them?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 17/02/02 at 19:06
Regular
I think that cheats ruin a game. When you buy a game, you buy it so you can play it and enjoy it. But what's the point of buying a game and then when you get stuck on a level or you run out of ammo etc. you put on a cheat and automatically go on to the next level. I would keep on trying till you do it, which makes the game much more exicting.

I think cheats are okay once you've completed the game fully, and the replay value has gone, to put on the cheats and muck about.

What do you think?
Tue 19/02/02 at 00:03
Regular
"smile, it's free"
In fact, have Spinner and co. done anything whatsoever since last round to stop people using bots? It doesn't sound much like it from what you've said.
Mon 18/02/02 at 23:51
Regular
"That's right!"
Cheats rule, playing through a game with God mode and all weapons on just for fun is great!

You just blast away!
Mon 18/02/02 at 23:50
Regular
"smile, it's free"
You know, I had a feeling PA was lurking behind the words of your post somewhere ;)

I suggest you tell Spinner to implement the same system Utopia uses - every 5th login (or something like that), a gif image shows up, with a number in it. You have to type the number to proceed. If not, you get reported, and possibly deleted.

If anyone thinks thay can write a bot with Symbolic image recognition and edge detection to determine the number on the gif unaided, they're welcome to try ;)
Mon 18/02/02 at 23:41
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
VenomByte wrote:
'Clean' competitors will always get better scores, yet the cheaters can still cheat if they want. Everyone's happy.

Tell that to Spinner (-:
They had to delete 623 planets from Planetarion this morning because 'somehow' they all managed to launch at the no.1 (Fury) Galaxy within seconds of each other last night.

I'll concede that this is a different scenario to normal cheating because we're talking about money when it comes to Planetarion, which some people actually pay to play only to have their fun wiped out by cheaters.
Mon 18/02/02 at 23:25
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Thing about cheat, is that they're optional. If you don't want to use them, you don't. Simple enough

A good cheating system, was the one on Master Of Orion 2. There were cheats which would give you more cash, of edit a planet's structures and suchlike, but using said cheat dramatically reduced you score.

That gives the best of both worlds really. 'Clean' competitors will always get better scores, yet the cheaters can still cheat if they want. Everyone's happy.
Mon 18/02/02 at 23:21
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I think that all games should come with their cheats 'built in' and uncrackable except for by playing the game itself. That way, you're forced to play to get unlimited ammo, special weapons, hidden levels, new modes etc.

If it was structured correctly, as we've seen recently with Agent Under Fire and Wipeout Fusion, these things that you unlock can actually be used from the start of the game to get you further if you're stuck on a section.

I don't see the point in providing cheats per se, unless of course there is a thriving casual gamer market out there that demands cheats in great quantities because they can't be bothered or aren't capable of finishing a game the way it was designed to be finished.

Oh, wait, there must be a thriving casual gamer market out there, hence www.ukcheats.com
Mon 18/02/02 at 21:08
Regular
RM18 wrote:
> American Ninja wrote:
> I think this whole idea of cheats and the need to
> unlock stuff in games is
> really time consuming. Sure, it's nice to have a
> game where you must unlock
> stuff to get to this and that; it adds true
> depth to the game. But who wants
> that in racing games - ESPECIALLY RACING
> GAMES -

We want to play with all the
> cars, all the characters, and have
> all the top stats for each racer, right? So
> why do games in this genre
> carry on doing this stupid thing about unlocking this
> and unlocking that;
> beat the game once and beat it again another time to get so
> and so
> things.

It's redilculous

If people use cheats then they are taking away
> any replay value that the game might have. It is annoying if they do that then
> say the game doesn't last

Adding on to what RM18 said if you use cheats you can't get any satisfaction out of completing a game fully.
Mon 18/02/02 at 20:43
Regular
American Ninja wrote:
> I think this whole idea of cheats and the need to unlock stuff in games is
> really time consuming. Sure, it's nice to have a game where you must unlock
> stuff to get to this and that; it adds true depth to the game. But who wants
> that in racing games - ESPECIALLY RACING GAMES -

We want to play with all the
> cars, all the characters, and have all the top stats for each racer, right? So
> why do games in this genre carry on doing this stupid thing about unlocking this
> and unlocking that; beat the game once and beat it again another time to get so
> and so things.

It's redilculous

If people use cheats then they are taking away any replay value that the game might have. It is annoying if they do that then say the game doesn't last
Sun 17/02/02 at 20:59
I think this whole idea of cheats and the need to unlock stuff in games is really time consuming. Sure, it's nice to have a game where you must unlock stuff to get to this and that; it adds true depth to the game. But who wants that in racing games - ESPECIALLY RACING GAMES -

We want to play with all the cars, all the characters, and have all the top stats for each racer, right? So why do games in this genre carry on doing this stupid thing about unlocking this and unlocking that; beat the game once and beat it again another time to get so and so things.

It's redilculous
Sun 17/02/02 at 19:28
Regular
Cheats don't really matter if you are unlocking football teams or something, but they really spoil the game if you are playing an adventure game or something

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.