GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How paranoid are you?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/09/07 at 13:42
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I had a thought a while back when I was watching The Real Hustle on BBC3, but forgot to post it here, and now I've just remembered. I can't remember if it was on here or on another forum that I use, but I remember a topic with a similar title (I think), which discussed how self-conscious you were about leaving your own home due to the sudden rise in the amount of shootings in the streets. Instead, this topic concerns itself with the measures you take to protect your identity. So, moving on...

Prepare yourself - there are a lot of questions coming! But remember, this is my style of topic. Don't treat it like a questionnaire. These questions are only here to give you an idea of things to discuss in this topic.

How do you feel about disclosing your details? Who would you disclose them to? When buying things, what places do you go to, and how do you go about finding new places to shop? Remember, that finding a new place to shop means that if you buy something there, you're disclosing your details to a shop which is effectively a stranger to you.

How do you balance out security and convenience? Do you have all your passwords saved on your computer so that the form AutoCompletes? And what security do you have on your wireless network, if you have one? Do you have a firewall too? And do you have anything like a firewall, spy/as/malware detection, etc?

When you receieve a suspicious email, how do you deal with it? If it appears to come from someone you know or a company you know, but is somewhat suspicious, what do you do? What are you like for clicking links and making sure they go to the correct place? Do you (know how to) check email headers to make sure the email isn't phished?

And moving away from the computer a bit now - what do you carry around with you in the street? Do you prefer to pay for things with card or cash? What's the max amount of money that you ever take with you? How do you feel about people giving you suspicious looks because you're young?

Also, what are you like with public amenities? In one episode of The Real Hustle, they set up a fake cash machine i nthe middle of the street. It looked like a cash machine, but it was kind of like a booth in the middle of the pavement, and only said "Cash" on it to make it look legit. How would you feel about that? Would you use it? Or are you the sort of person who only ever withdraws cash from a machine affiliated or directly connected to a bank? What things do you do when you go up to a cash machine anyway? Do you check it out before using it to make sure it's safe?

And how do you feel about using Chip and PIN in a shop? Do you cover the machine with your other hand whilst you type in your PIN in case of any shoulder surfers? And speaking of Chip and PIN - on the same aforementioned episode of The Real Hustle, a woman was seen applying for a job. She was entering her details into a computer for the application. Would you question the reason for them asking for things like your bank details, or would you just do it through fear of making them think you don't trust them and hence risk losing the job? Also, at the end of the form that she was filling in, she was asked for a 4-digit numerical code to protect her application. She used her bank card's PIN number. What would you do?

Okay, that'll do.

Discuss!
Fri 14/09/07 at 17:28
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Hey, thanks! Recognition at last! But my life isn't complete until I win Bingo. XD

I've always avoided credit cards like the plague, because they are the cause of debt, among other things like greed, but I'm not the sort of person to buy something if I know I can't afford it, then get into debt because I paid on my credit card instead. If I can't afford, I can't have, but usually if I can't afford it, it's not safe to carry that amount of money around in cash anyway!
Fri 14/09/07 at 14:03
"possibly impossible"
Oh, and well done on the GAD.
Fri 14/09/07 at 14:02
"possibly impossible"
I'm sure you could use Visa debit, as long as it's chip and pin. Barclays Visa Debit works the same way as a Visa Credit card, but takes the money out of the bank like a debit card, so you should be able to use it online as well.
Thu 13/09/07 at 15:16
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
pb wrote:
> Twain wrote:
> >And one thing I
> don't do anyway is credit cards. I don't think I will ever own
> a
> credit card. Too risky, and the whole reason people get into
> debt.
>
> I can't see myself walking in to Tesco with £100 in notes
> in my pocket each week...

Do they take debit cards? My mum shops at Tesco, but it's one place where I've only ever bought little things at, totalling less than £20, which I don't mind carrying.
Thu 13/09/07 at 14:47
"possibly impossible"
Twain wrote:
>And one thing I
> don't do anyway is credit cards. I don't think I will ever own a
> credit card. Too risky, and the whole reason people get into
> debt.
>
I can't see myself walking in to Tesco with £100 in notes in my pocket each week...
Thu 13/09/07 at 12:07
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I guess I'm kinda like you, Bob, but I do run anti-virus and anti-spyware programs.

I have a vast assortment of passwords, but I think my bank details and sites which handle my money (eg. Paypal) are the only ones which have unique passwords.

I don't disclose my details to anyone I don' trust, or any sites that smell phishy. I have a simple rule that I say to people who approach me in the street or ring up about a service they think I might like: don't call me, I'll call you. And one thing I don't do anyway is credit cards. I don't think I will ever own a credit card. Too risky, and the whole reason people get into debt.

When I go to a cash machine, I will check it out before using it. It has to be affiliated to a bank, and built into the wall of somewhere i know and trust. I'll also have a look around the machine for anything suspicious before using it, like cameras. And even when I use one, I cover the keypad with my other hand.
Thu 13/09/07 at 00:16
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
I store loads of passwords in the auto-complete, but not for example, any online banking details.

And I never run anti-virus or anti-spyware software :)
Thu 13/09/07 at 00:07
"cheerios"
I try to take steps to avoid theft, but it's the people who fall for those "we need to update your personal detail" emails for paypal, ebay etc who i feel sorry for. If i had just started using the internet now as opposed to about 6 years ago I would have lost a lot of money as quite a few of them look pretty genuine. I've even had to stop my grandad doin it a couple of times.

I think in general most sites are safe...it's those irritating scams that p*ss me off.
Mon 10/09/07 at 14:34
"possibly impossible"
I guess there are so many things to fill in and remember that some people, especially those who don't 'get' technology, are going to get caught out.

Personally I feel mostly safe and take steps to prevent fraud where possible; running a spyware checker routinely, having blockers for net use and pop-ups etc and not keeping any passwords on the computer. Those I do have are on paper, but coded in such a way that only I would remember them.

There are still chances where I could have my details stolen, but I try to limit them, more out of sense than paranoia. After all, you wouldn't leave your wallet lying around in a shop, so why leave your digital details lying around?
Mon 10/09/07 at 13:42
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I had a thought a while back when I was watching The Real Hustle on BBC3, but forgot to post it here, and now I've just remembered. I can't remember if it was on here or on another forum that I use, but I remember a topic with a similar title (I think), which discussed how self-conscious you were about leaving your own home due to the sudden rise in the amount of shootings in the streets. Instead, this topic concerns itself with the measures you take to protect your identity. So, moving on...

Prepare yourself - there are a lot of questions coming! But remember, this is my style of topic. Don't treat it like a questionnaire. These questions are only here to give you an idea of things to discuss in this topic.

How do you feel about disclosing your details? Who would you disclose them to? When buying things, what places do you go to, and how do you go about finding new places to shop? Remember, that finding a new place to shop means that if you buy something there, you're disclosing your details to a shop which is effectively a stranger to you.

How do you balance out security and convenience? Do you have all your passwords saved on your computer so that the form AutoCompletes? And what security do you have on your wireless network, if you have one? Do you have a firewall too? And do you have anything like a firewall, spy/as/malware detection, etc?

When you receieve a suspicious email, how do you deal with it? If it appears to come from someone you know or a company you know, but is somewhat suspicious, what do you do? What are you like for clicking links and making sure they go to the correct place? Do you (know how to) check email headers to make sure the email isn't phished?

And moving away from the computer a bit now - what do you carry around with you in the street? Do you prefer to pay for things with card or cash? What's the max amount of money that you ever take with you? How do you feel about people giving you suspicious looks because you're young?

Also, what are you like with public amenities? In one episode of The Real Hustle, they set up a fake cash machine i nthe middle of the street. It looked like a cash machine, but it was kind of like a booth in the middle of the pavement, and only said "Cash" on it to make it look legit. How would you feel about that? Would you use it? Or are you the sort of person who only ever withdraws cash from a machine affiliated or directly connected to a bank? What things do you do when you go up to a cash machine anyway? Do you check it out before using it to make sure it's safe?

And how do you feel about using Chip and PIN in a shop? Do you cover the machine with your other hand whilst you type in your PIN in case of any shoulder surfers? And speaking of Chip and PIN - on the same aforementioned episode of The Real Hustle, a woman was seen applying for a job. She was entering her details into a computer for the application. Would you question the reason for them asking for things like your bank details, or would you just do it through fear of making them think you don't trust them and hence risk losing the job? Also, at the end of the form that she was filling in, she was asked for a 4-digit numerical code to protect her application. She used her bank card's PIN number. What would you do?

Okay, that'll do.

Discuss!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.