GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Problems with header - looks rubbish after upload"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 16/05/12 at 18:10
Regular
Hi,

I changed my header image recently and have since had a problem with it looking completely rubbish. I have always uploaded PNG files as I've found the colour saturation and contrast is retained when it is often lost in jpegs and other file types. Now, however, even this isn't the case. I left it for a while to see if it had anything to do with the image needing to be moderated/approved but it's just the same...a bland version of what it should be.

All images upload and show faithfully elsewhere in the body content of the site.

Some particulars in case it matters:

1. I prefer to upload png files
2. I use Firefox for a browser on a macbook
3. I don't upload a logo on top of the header image.

Any help/fix would be much appreciated....

cheers
Thu 24/05/12 at 07:33
Regular
Nice site :-)
Fri 18/05/12 at 16:37
Regular
Styling! Looks 100%..

Thanks Eccles (and to everyone who commented and helped).

Appreciated!

Now I can head off to network in the US at the International Conservation Photography Awards knowing my site's looking fine.

All the best
Fri 18/05/12 at 16:13
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Please could you test your banner once more. I have successfully tried my changes using your banner and it now has the same file size after uploading.
The issue was that the images were passed through PHP's GD image functions regardless of whether the uploaded image width was correct for the site. It now does not do this but simply saves the images as it is.
Fri 18/05/12 at 01:09
Regular
Thanks Eccles (and everyone).

Look forward to hearing from you re an update on how the tinkering goes.

Night
Fri 18/05/12 at 00:27
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
I'll try and have a look tomorrow/later on today (didn't realise the time!). I think there's been a regression in the code for this (it's been tinkered with by someone else).

The tweak I made today was on the resizing, it was checking whether height and width matched the specified width value, only width needed checking as it doesn't matter how tall your banner is.

It looks as though some processing is still going on even if the image uploaded is of the correct width. This shouldn't happen, it should just save directly and then make a large copy in case you enable side navigation (this needs the banner to be 892px wide)
Thu 17/05/12 at 23:52
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
The one embedded in the guides page still has its colour profile, I dont think thats specifically the problem though.

The images seem to be identical, just different palettes. Something happening server side obviously. I'm sure Eccles will fix it!
Thu 17/05/12 at 23:01
Regular
Hi - thanks for all your help so far.

As per Dr Garin's suggestion, for you to compare the two images I have placed the file in the body text of a page here....

www.conservationphotojournalism.com/guides

And Hmmm.. yes the file size is smaller. Sorry for misreading your suggestion first-time around.

The original file size is 236kb and it's coming up at 158.07kb off the site.

Cheers
Thu 17/05/12 at 20:10
"Are you sure?"
Hi.
Rather than the physical dimensions it's the actual file size that's worth checking - kbs rather than pixels.

But from Eccles reply it does sound as if some image processing is going on.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Edit - I'm writing this on my phone which has taken so long I missed Garin's reply...
Thu 17/05/12 at 20:06
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
It might be worthwhile uploading the original image elsewhere so we can have a look.

One thing I do notice though, all of your images have embedded colour profiles and the header image doesnt. Eccles will be able to answer this properly, but I wonder if the header is undergoing something server side thats stripping the colour profile.
Thu 17/05/12 at 19:32
Regular
Thanks Eccles and Hmmm...

I have checked the size and it's the same - 702 pixels wide on both the uploaded image and the header in the browser.

I have re-uploaded it and it's the same unfortunately. I tried it as GIF but it looks EVEN worse.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.