GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Freeola Online Backup Service - LiveDrive"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 02/05/12 at 17:54
"Are you sure?"
Google Drive - pfft ;¬)

Freeola:
"The desktop software (Powered by Livedrive) is the easiest way to use your Freeola Online Backup account. Click on the applicable download button to start your download."

Never one for the 'easiest' way(!) can I connect via FTP to this service? Any s/w that says it runs quietly in the background puts me off! :¬P

I've followed the FTP instructions here but can't connect. It's possible that I need to give things more time to be setup in the background as I've dived straight in :¬)

NB. I get a 404 using the published mobile link?

Thanks,
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 02/05/12 at 17:54
"Are you sure?"
Google Drive - pfft ;¬)

Freeola:
"The desktop software (Powered by Livedrive) is the easiest way to use your Freeola Online Backup account. Click on the applicable download button to start your download."

Never one for the 'easiest' way(!) can I connect via FTP to this service? Any s/w that says it runs quietly in the background puts me off! :¬P

I've followed the FTP instructions here but can't connect. It's possible that I need to give things more time to be setup in the background as I've dived straight in :¬)

Thanks,
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 02/05/12 at 18:50
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
Hmmm... wrote:
Google Drive - pfft ;¬)

Freeola:

Thanks,
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

It is not possible to directly access the Online Backup service directly via FTP. With the way it is designed to work, it will automatically backup your files with the Livedrive software, then you are able to access any backed up files as required either via the online portal, or via the Livedrive restore software.

There is a service which is available that does allow FTP access (Online Backup + Briefcase), but this isn't included with Freeola Broadband.

Thank you for reporting the issue with the link to the mobile portal. This should have now been resolved by our systems team, however there was a DNS change involved so it could take up to 24hrs to propagate. In the mean time you should be able to access the mobile service from m.livedrive.com.
Wed 02/05/12 at 19:20
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Thanks dean and Hmmm ...

Just read the Freeola email and was excited ... thanks Freeola:¬) But then I read the thread and I think I'll wait until tomorrow ... Millie's photos are precious ;¬)
Thu 03/05/12 at 08:54
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
how secure is the data?

If personal data is to be uploaded, can it be encrytped over the web?

what sort of encryption is used? are there options on the encryption
Thu 03/05/12 at 09:04
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
looked up some LiveDrive reviews - not looking good, especially on security

www.bestonlinebackupdeals.com/reviews/livedrive-review/

www.smallcloudbuilder.com/storage/reviews/277-livedrive-reviewed

I think if I use it I will be keeping personal data out of it
Thu 03/05/12 at 13:15
Staff
For ftp/sftp access you'll need to upgrade to the briefcase (which is actually provides most of the features of the pro-suite such as SFTP/FTP access as well as but under another name). This also provides options to share files more generally on a folder by folder basis from your briefcase.

One word of warning if you do upgrade we can't remove the upgrade from the account we have to cancel the account and create you a new one.
Thu 03/05/12 at 13:28
"Are you sure?"
I would be inclined to keep ALL personal data away from any backup/cloud service myself!

At least the T&Cs seem to say the 'data' is the customers rather than "everything belongs to us" like some cloud providers say.

Still haven't downloaded the s/w yet as I don't really want to run it on this PC - I'll have a play later on another PC.

Re. My earlier question about FTP access - it's a shame that's not an option as I would have liked to have used that in conjunction with SyncBack (my fav backup tool).

Bit of a pain the way Livedrive don't let customers via a reseller access their support pages! i.e. A Google on Livedrive software shows this result:
"How can I tell what the Livedrive software is doing? You can see the current Status of Livedrive: On a Windows PC: Right click the Livedrive icon next to the clock ..." but they don't allow you to read it on their support site - and don't let reseller customers login :¬( You can read the text via Google cache but it seems a bit daft.

If anyone is already running the Livedrive s/w please let me know what you think :¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 03/05/12 at 13:56
Staff
Hmmm... wrote:
I would be inclined to keep ALL personal data away from any backup/cloud service myself!

At least the T&Cs seem to say the 'data' is the customers rather than "everything belongs to us" like [i]some
cloud providers say.

Still haven't downloaded the s/w yet as I don't really want to run it on this PC - I'll have a play later on another PC.

Re. My earlier question about FTP access - it's a shame that's not an option as I would have liked to have used that in conjunction with SyncBack (my fav backup tool).

Bit of a pain the way Livedrive don't let customers via a reseller access their support pages! i.e. A Google on Livedrive software shows this result:
"How can I tell what the Livedrive software is doing? You can see the current Status of Livedrive: On a Windows PC: Right click the Livedrive icon next to the clock ..." but they don't allow you to read it on their support site - and don't let reseller customers login :¬( You can read the text via Google cache but it seems a bit daft.

If anyone is already running the Livedrive s/w please let me know what you think :¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s][/i]

Don't disagree about ftp access, but having tried it out, I prefer using the client (via the briefcase). If you are worried about personal data, theres nothing to stop you backing up data to a zip file or some such and encrypting this and storing the encrypted file instead.

Regarding support pages, we'll be putting live some pages of our own (mostly done, but still in proofing stage), As far as it goes though, the livedrive software is pretty straightforward to use, mostly working the way you'd expect.

I'm backing up my home machine using it (mostly pictures and some music) and the only issue I have with it is that the scheduling system could be improved so that a backup stops at a particular time. It would also be nice to have linux client software.
Thu 03/05/12 at 14:05
"Are you sure?"
Thanks ncrs,
I'll hopefully have a play later.

EDIT:
I've installed Freeola Online Backup (Livedrive) on a PC I mostly use for on-site backups. Just seeing how things go backing up a few photos. Working well - obviously on a standard ADSL 448 kbps upstream connection the first 'backup' will take some time!
I'm sure this will have some uses though :¬)
Fingers crossed I don't see all my data indexed by the Search Engines in the near future!

Anyway, always nice to see Freeola adding goodies for their ADSL and Domain customers :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 03/05/12 at 17:32
"Are you sure?"
FYI - re. Android App

myfreeola.com/online-backup mentions: "and an Android app on the way"

I've tried the Livedrive Android App which seems to do what it says :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.