GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Freeola Online Backup Service - LiveDrive"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 02/05/12 at 17:54
"Are you sure?"
Google Drive - pfft ;¬)

Freeola:
"The desktop software (Powered by Livedrive) is the easiest way to use your Freeola Online Backup account. Click on the applicable download button to start your download."

Never one for the 'easiest' way(!) can I connect via FTP to this service? Any s/w that says it runs quietly in the background puts me off! :¬P

I've followed the FTP instructions here but can't connect. It's possible that I need to give things more time to be setup in the background as I've dived straight in :¬)

NB. I get a 404 using the published mobile link?

Thanks,
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 04/07/15 at 18:29
"Are you sure?"
Another old thread woken up for a comment...

I'm just sorting out my weekly backups which includes using Freeola's free online LiveDrive.

I've mentioned (in other threads) that having a Freeola FTTC connection with a decent upload speed really makes this work well.

But one thing that hasn't been mentioned about using Freeola's LiveDrive is that it keeps incremental backups - i.e. different versions of files.

This is quite a difference to just taking a normal backup - if you should need to go back in time on a script or HTML page etc. it could be a lifesaver. Everytime you change an existing file LiveDrive saves a new backup just in case you should need to undo recent changes.

I haven't had to use this but it helps me sleep at night!
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 30/05/12 at 19:50
"Are you sure?"
As people (including me) have mentioned this is a good solution for backing up your digital photos. BUT lots of large photos will obviously take some time to transfer over ADSL which is slower on 'upload' than 'download' so some careful and patient scheduling is required.

Another great use for me is to backup the source files for my website graphics. I use Fireworks (Macromedia/Adobe) to create my graphics which store the originals as editable PNGs before exporting as gif/jpeg/png as required.

Often these files are small - certainly much smaller than my photos! So these whiz over Freeola's LiveDrive backup service :¬)

If you lose the original source file it can be quite a pain as you can't recover it from a finalised website image. So I'm just starting to backup my website graphics starting with my most important clients and it's going well.

So for non-secure/sensitive data I think I'm turning into a Freeola LiveDrive fan - especially as it's free with my Freeola Broadband!

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 21/05/12 at 08:46
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
webcity1 wrote:
Hmmm... wrote:
[i]webcity1 wrote:
[i]...or an options to prevent LiveDrive running on computer startup. I am going to try to remove from startup using msconfig. will post an update if that's successful...

Yes, removing it from the startup list in msconfig does the trick that's what I did when I set it up the other week.

[s]Hmmm...[/s][/i]

right I've setup the livedrive backup to run as a scheduled process starting at 7.30 pm and finishing before 7am.

I currently have

240.79 mb
28800 files
4485 folders

uploaded so I will update tomorrow if the scheduled process has worked[/i]

UPDATE: I have set up a scheduled process - it "sort of" works - the problems are

(1) LiveDrive window is not available (I can see it running in the process list, and have to kill it there to stop it
(2) it doesn't stop automatically as setup in the schedule. I think essentially because this is not a command line app

shame
Thu 17/05/12 at 00:29
Regular
Thanks for the Annex M pointer.

I currently connect at around 13Mb/s.

N.

Edit: I have put forward a support enquiry about Annex M
Wed 16/05/12 at 17:53
"Are you sure?"
Neilj99 wrote:
Could someone please suggest appropriate settings for the max up/down bandwidth and connections configuration for Freeola's 24Mb/s rate.
Thanks,
Neil

Wow - are you saying you're actually get the 'theoretical' 24Mb on an ADSL2+ connection? From your previous posts I know you are on a great line but not many people manage to get the full 24Mb.

I'm no expert with this but I guess your best bet (whatever your actual sync) is just to tweak the settings if you think you are getting contention with your backups. Or perhaps 'pause' the backups when you want to use your internet connection and resume backup when you are doing other things etc.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

EDIT: As you are on a great line you might want to ask Freeola about 'Annex M' where you can increase your upload speed - but this is normally a cost option.
Wed 16/05/12 at 01:13
Regular
Could someone please suggest appropriate settings for the max up/down bandwidth and connections configuration for Freeola's 24Mb/s rate.

Thanks,

Neil
Mon 14/05/12 at 10:20
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
Hmmm... wrote:
webcity1 wrote:
[i]...or an options to prevent LiveDrive running on computer startup. I am going to try to remove from startup using msconfig. will post an update if that's successful...

Yes, removing it from the startup list in msconfig does the trick that's what I did when I set it up the other week.

[s]Hmmm...[/s][/i]

right I've setup the livedrive backup to run as a scheduled process starting at 7.30 pm and finishing before 7am.

I currently have

240.79 mb
28800 files
4485 folders

uploaded so I will update tomorrow if the scheduled process has worked
Sun 13/05/12 at 10:11
"Are you sure?"
webcity1 wrote:
...or an options to prevent LiveDrive running on computer startup. I am going to try to remove from startup using msconfig. will post an update if that's successful...

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sun 13/05/12 at 09:42
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
WOOPS. I changed the settings on the desktop to only scan between 7pm and 7am (i.e. off peak usage) and found that this doesn't stop LiveDrive uploading. Can't see a way to configure this, or an options to prevent LiveDrive running on computer startup. I am going to try to remove from startup using msconfig. will post an update if that's successful...perhaps the thing to do is run it as a scheduled task...
Sat 12/05/12 at 08:56
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
I had a go at starting LiveDrive yesterday. Source data is > 20gb. My Machine hung to the point where i had to kill the LiveDrive process. On restarting it seems to be behaving, allowing me to go into settings and pause etc.

There's obviously an issue with the initial startup.

FYI: I am on Windows 7 64bit

Now I can't seem to log in to the LiveDrive site. I tried my given password but was told it was invalid. I tried resetting and entered the password sent in the email, but I am still unable to log in. LiveDrive is running away happily and I can even get to the status page from the desktop client

Anybody else have similar issues?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.