GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"o2 network email issue"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 19/04/12 at 12:00
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
I have been having an issue sending emails from Entourage when on an o2 network. In general I get the following error message

"An operation on the server timed out. The server may be down, overloaded, or there may be too much net traffic."

I have tried setting up the account on Thunderbird and get a similar error.

I can send via WebMail but for the long term this is not an acceptable solution.

According to Freeola support this is a known issue between o2 and Freeola. Is anyone else out using Freeola email on an o2 network? What has your experience been and if you had the same issue, do you have a solution to the issue?
Thu 19/04/12 at 12:00
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
I have been having an issue sending emails from Entourage when on an o2 network. In general I get the following error message

"An operation on the server timed out. The server may be down, overloaded, or there may be too much net traffic."

I have tried setting up the account on Thunderbird and get a similar error.

I can send via WebMail but for the long term this is not an acceptable solution.

According to Freeola support this is a known issue between o2 and Freeola. Is anyone else out using Freeola email on an o2 network? What has your experience been and if you had the same issue, do you have a solution to the issue?
Thu 19/04/12 at 13:18
"Are you sure?"
I'm not an o2 user so can't offer much help.

I did see a Tweet yesterday where someone said they were having email problems with Freeola and o2 - unless 'Justin' was/is you :¬) Unfortunately it doesn't look as if o2 replied.

I take it you are using Web Freedom or EmailPro and are happy the 'authentication' options are checked etc.?

Do you get an 'error code' with the error message?
Microsoft give this Entourage help for
"Entourage for Mac "An operation on the server timed out. Error 3259" when sending email"
Which gives a solution of changing Port numbers which is still something you could try. But if you have the error code you may find more solutions.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 19/04/12 at 13:26
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
I have tried both ports 2025 and 25 if that's what you're referring to.

no I am not Justin so maybe he will pitch in and we can nail this down.

This does seem to be really particular to o2 so I want to gather some more info and hopefully get o2 to sort this

on an aside - did you set up some way to subscribe to threads on this forum via email or am I mistaken. it would be handy to follow updates on particular threads (like this one)
Thu 19/04/12 at 13:30
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
oh sorry hmmm I jumped the gun there - it does suggest changing the port to 587 - I will try that later (don't have access to that computer right now)

seems odd - won't freeola's smtp have to be listening on that port and they don't indicate anywhere that they do....worth a bash

why don't email progs allow you to specify several ports to avoid this frazzle...
Thu 19/04/12 at 13:31
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Hi webcity1,

As per our support ticket reply, we are aware of some sort of routing issue between the O2/Be network and our SMTP/EmailPro servers.
We have been working on a workaround and you should get another ticket update soon.
Thu 19/04/12 at 13:47
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Not that it is of any help webcity1, but by coincidence a friend who uses Freeola email, rang me yesterday afternoon to see if I was experiencing any difficulty with emails. It transpired that he discovered that it was an o2 network problem.
Thu 19/04/12 at 14:02
"Are you sure?"
webcity1 wrote:
on an aside - did you set up some way to subscribe to threads on this forum via email or am I mistaken. it would be handy to follow updates on particular threads (like this one)

Hi,
Nothing clever. All I do is have a link in my Bookmarks/Favs Toolbar taking me to various forums I like to visit regularly - so a single click shows me what's going on :¬)

Another way to keep track of your own posts would be to stick this link into your Bookmarks/Favs which allows you to easily look at all your own contributions :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 19/04/12 at 14:17
"Are you sure?"
If you are still stuck a Google showed this forum thread where people have had success using O2's outgoing SMTP servers - either smtp.O2.co.uk or mail.O2.co.uk

Other port address tips also there...

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 19/04/12 at 18:08
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
I'm not sure I follow what's being suggested in that thread - is it suggesting to use o2 outgoing server to send from a freeola email address.

sounds bizarre. how will o2 authenticate freeola. I simply cannot get my head around it.

am I too conventional?
Thu 19/04/12 at 18:24
"Are you sure?"
webcity1 wrote:
is it suggesting to use o2 outgoing server to send from a freeola email address.

Yep. If O2 alloy 'relay' it will work.

Another quick Google found this: How to configure your email to use O2's SMTP server

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.