GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"o2 network email issue"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 19/04/12 at 12:00
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
I have been having an issue sending emails from Entourage when on an o2 network. In general I get the following error message

"An operation on the server timed out. The server may be down, overloaded, or there may be too much net traffic."

I have tried setting up the account on Thunderbird and get a similar error.

I can send via WebMail but for the long term this is not an acceptable solution.

According to Freeola support this is a known issue between o2 and Freeola. Is anyone else out using Freeola email on an o2 network? What has your experience been and if you had the same issue, do you have a solution to the issue?
Mon 03/09/12 at 07:54
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
this has been resolved more from trying random combinations of server name and port, than anything else! turns out smtp-backup was no longer valid, so I switched back to smtp-auth, but on port 2025 - hopefully that's the last of that issue!
Tue 31/07/12 at 08:59
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
@numnut
yes I will try the suggestions made by support when I get on to that computer on the o2 connection again. I appreciate support are now waiting for me to get back to them - I just wanted to compare and contrast my experience with anyone else using freeola mail on an o2 network. I can't believe I'm the only one!
Mon 30/07/12 at 09:42
Staff
"Look! There's a..."
I can see from the ticket you've raised with Support that you've been asked whether or not you can ping either the standard smtp server or the back up server - have you been able to try this yet?

If the O2 routing issue has returned then you will likely not be able to ping either of the servers - you'll get something like a 'destination host unreachable' message when you try.

Not to say it's not happening again, but the O2 routing issue was a pretty major thing. Your support ticket mentions a problem sending from one email address - I'd certainly suggest checking 'the basics' first - I.e does the same problem occur with a different email client?

Checking this will rule out the current mail client from having a problem...

It's important to see whether you are able to ping the smtp server though - if you can, then it's not the same routing issue as before.
Mon 30/07/12 at 08:15
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
@DL I still don't think it's the router as the wireless is disabled. it's an old-skool wired connection. also it doesn't explain why was it working until a few days ago? nothing was changed on the router or in the email settings from when it was working
Sun 29/07/12 at 18:35
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
webcity1 wrote:
@DL just to back up Eccles on that. the router in this case was actually an o2 router, not a netgear one

Sorry for a late response to this but just seen that you're having a problem again.

The routers still could use the same chipset though, no matter what name's on the box.
Sun 29/07/12 at 16:29
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
Eccles wrote:
You can leave your setting as they are, We'll simply change where the hostname you are connecting to redirects to.

@eccles
i am having issues again - when I contacted support they suggested restoring the email settings to the standard settings - they don't seem to be aware of the history of the issue, and I really want a permanent fix for this. if it's really O2 in London that is the issue, there must be more people affected? anyway, as I say I really don't want to have to keep coming back to this - please advise

P.S. any other people having emailing from an o2 network, would be good to know...
Wed 02/05/12 at 23:08
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
@DL just to back up Eccles on that. the router in this case was actually an o2 router, not a netgear one
Fri 27/04/12 at 20:41
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
DL wrote:
Strange isn't it webcity1? Or perhaps pure coincidence ... but this issue was known about by Netgear with routers about 15 months ago:

"Some Netgear wireless routers cannot correctly detect ADSL settings for Be There and O2 ISPs in the UK.....in the meantime, the work-around is to configure manually, as follows ... "

:¬)

Not really. The issue some of our customers were experiencing was nothing to do with the network equipment they were using their end but rather the network equipment that O2/Be were using somewhere to route traffic from their network to our EmailPro servers. Seem to be something to do with the handoff to Linx in London and also this issue only appeared within the last couple of weeks.
Fri 27/04/12 at 19:38
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Strange isn't it webcity1? Or perhaps pure coincidence ... but this issue was known about by Netgear with routers about 15 months ago:

"Some Netgear wireless routers cannot correctly detect ADSL settings for Be There and O2 ISPs in the UK.....in the meantime, the work-around is to configure manually, as follows ... "

:¬)
Tue 24/04/12 at 12:35
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
You can leave your setting as they are, We'll simply change where the hostname you are connecting to redirects to.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.