GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Eccles"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/09/07 at 12:16
Regular
Hello Eccles! Mmm I love eccles cakes by the way.

I wonder if you could help me (Or anyone else if possible). Sometimes when I surf the interwebs I find something that I quite fancy for my own site. Unfortunately I think Tony has blocked YouTube from your interwebs so I can't show you what I want to duplicate. For those who don't have it blocked I'd love to duplicate the global menu. Freeola have something similiar that they added recently on the MyFreeola page (the floating menu for the go back to: links). I'd like something like that but to only appear when clicked on.

Questions
What magic is doing this. Is it stable on other browsers. Is it easy to impliment and does anyone have any links or homemade scripts they could show me?

GO TEAM MACHIE!
Mon 10/09/07 at 15:32
Regular
Yeah that's what I wanted cjh =) So if someone did have it turned off then it would still take them to a HTML version of the list.

-------

Okay Eccles, I wonder if you can help me again. I think I tried to get this problem sorted before on here, but it didnt work out. =(

At the top right of my site, I have the usual links...

'Contact | Site Map | Help' etc

My problem is it doesnt look good presented like that as they're spaced too close together.

How do I seperate them nicely like they do on other websites?

Any links or examples would be very helpful. =)
Mon 10/09/07 at 15:49
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
What was wrong with what Eccles gave you before?
Mon 10/09/07 at 15:53
"Are you sure?"
Machie wrote:
> How do I seperate them nicely like they do on other websites?

I see you are only asking Eccles, but...

Have you tried looking at the source code and CSS on one of the sites that uses a style you like to see what techniques they are using?

Look out Eccles, Machie had me, Garin and cjh going for years on his spoof website :¬P

[LINK=http://www.hmmm.ip3.co.uk][S]Search Freeola Chat
[/LINK]
Mon 10/09/07 at 15:55
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
I'm not sure I get what you're after exactly but I'll explain what I think you're after anyway.
The easiest way to make a text based horizontal menu is to use an unordered list:

<ul id="top_navigation">
<li><a href="link1.htm">Link 1</a>
<li><a href="link2.htm">Link 2</a>
<li><a href="link2.htm">Link 2</a>
</ul>

And then apply some CSS to it to make the links inline and remove the default list styling:

#top_navigation {
margin: 0; //removes indent
padding: 0;
list-style: none; //remove dot styling
}
#top_navigation li {
float: left;//make the list horizontal and still allows block level styling to be applied
padding: 3px 4px 3px 4px;
}

You can of course do a lot more styling than this but I've added padding to the list items to that they have spacing either side.

Or you could be very lazy and just use &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; lots!

Edit again: Just found this for you.
Mon 10/09/07 at 16:00
Regular
Garin wrote:
> What was wrong with what Eccles gave you before?

Do'h I forgot about that one. Ah now I remember. I was meant to ask before about how I could still use | as borders between the menus. Like the other websites =)
Mon 10/09/07 at 16:11
Regular
Thanks Eccles. Though the example I tried the links werent spacing apart. As Garin mentioned, you tried helping me before with this and gave a very good example.

I'd like it spaced out like these examples but to still use the | as a border.

I'll find some examples on the web. Unfortunately Hmmm the source code is usually so confusing I dont know what to look at. =(

Here's some examples of spaced 'Contact | Site Map' menus using the | as a border. Oh wait Im noticing that some might not be using | and are infact using a CSS border, I'm not sure.

Click
Click
Click
Click (above the search box)
Click (top right)

It's used a lot on most websites it seems.
Mon 10/09/07 at 16:21
"Are you sure?"
Machie wrote:
> I'll find some examples on the web. Unfortunately Hmmm the
> source code is usually so confusing I dont know what to look at.
> =(

Looking quickly at your first example, Epson - here's how they do it:

#divMainNav ul li (line 87)

{
margin-top: 0pt;
margin-right: 0pt;
margin-bottom: 0pt;
margin-left: 0pt;
padding-top: 0pt;
padding-right: 8px;
padding-bottom: 0pt;
padding-left: 8px;
display: inline;
border-right-width: 1px;
border-right-style: solid;
border-right-color: #888888;
}

Search Freeola Chat
Mon 10/09/07 at 16:27
Regular
Wow that's a lot. 0pt? I wonder if I should use that instead of px.

They gave border-right a 1px color. But I wonder how they stopped it from looking like this.

Corporate Information | News | Investor Relations |
Mon 10/09/07 at 16:42
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
I'm not quite clear on this, did I mis-read this or are you trying to put bigger spaces between the link anchor text and the '|' character (like link1 [big_gap] | etc.)?

Can't you use normal HTML spaces?
Mon 10/09/07 at 16:47
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I must admit I'm a little bit mystified too. Seems to be vast amounts of code being thrown about for the sake of some spacing.
If I was doing this I'd have just done as youtube have. All they've got is a span tag wrapped around the | separators with a class applied. For the sake of a minor menu, not sure anything else is needed.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.