GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Did anyone buy psm2? The video of MGS2 looks amazing and i can't wait for the Getaway!!! This is what we've been waiting for"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/09/00 at 21:12
Regular
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Tue 10/10/00 at 17:23
i can't wait with all of this...ps2's emotion chip....internet connection later....yeeeeeeeeesssssssss.
all the gaaammmeesss....ahhhhh...that video is whacked and mgs2 is a musthave for you lot.
Sun 01/10/00 at 14:02
Okay... we're all aware of these problems. Here's the latest, from P2 magazine:

"There are some disadvantages to creating such an advanced system. Developers are already muttering that the console is too tricky to program for. With few development libraries ready for launch, developers are having to rely on limited Middleware as a resource tool, forcing a steep learning curve and a flurry of launch titles that aren't dissimilar in looks to most Dreamcast titles. Yet it is credit to the powerful position of Sony, and the original PlayStation, that major publishers and developers have still been breaking down the doors to get a chance to create games for the PS2, with titles such as The Getaway, Project Eden and Metal Gear Solid 2 already lined up in the future. In time, as Sony develops its source libraries, the PS2 will overtake Dreamcast. For once the wait will be worth it."

It's like programming on any other machine. If you go through an interpreted language like BASIC (i.e. the PS2 Middleware), you don't get the performance and speed. But write the same in C (Sony's forthcoming libraries), and you go almost straight to the hardware - giving a major performance increase. Eventually, developers will be writing the equivalent of Assembly Language, accessing the hardware directly for the ultimate performance.

Remember the performance monitor created for the PS1, which enabled them to create the original Gran Turismo - a piece of software which monitors code and locates all idle time, allowing coders to pack more into the game. This only appeared three years into the PS1's life, and GT wouldn't have been able to exist without it. No doubt a similar piece of software will arrive for PS2.
Sun 01/10/00 at 13:34
mm......
Yea, but the DC version of Half Life apparently looks better than UT on the PS2 (so ign says)
And no, the difficulty of the PS2 is not lies, rumours or propaganda and u are all being narrow minded, if someone said it was easy to program for, you would hardly say hey, thats a rumour, would you??Nope. I have a couple of quotes from CVG for yall here just to keep the subject buried...

"The Ps2 IS a b****r to program for" - Capcom

"What makes this worse it that Sony does not provide any prospect discs of any kind which are always included with the package, even in the Saturn" - Lucasarts

And just because George Lucas thinks it looked good doesnt mean that his company, Lucas Arts has to agre, does it???Nope
Sun 01/10/00 at 12:25
Regular
"Whatever!"
Just got the P2 magazine. Watched the video and I agree that Unreal Tournament looks absolutely unreal. This will be one of the best 'early' games on PS2, cant wait to get it.
Sat 30/09/00 at 18:23
Two more videos are now available. The latest issue of PlayStation World (PSW) and the first issue of P2 both have covermounted vids.

Both of these show more footage of PS2 games up and running.

The P2 vid is probably the best, and has actually reassured me of the machine's power. There is extended footage of both Timesplitters and Unreal Tournament.

Timesplitters looks awesome. The screenshots you may have seen in the the mags really don't do it justice - it looks far better, sounds great, and is extremely fast - even in 4-player split-screen mode.

UT also looks... well... unreal. They certainly seem to have sorted out the frame rate, and it also looks extremely fast in 4-player mode.

There's also footage of Tekken Tag and DOA2:Hardcore - both look astounding.

Another couple of great vids. Get them if you can, and you can judge for yourself - PSW is £2.99, P2 is £3.50.
Fri 22/09/00 at 22:50
>Lucasarts (programmer for all) also said something along the lines of "its a b****r to program for" as well.

And George Lucas himself is quoted as saying that they waited years for the technology capable of the CGI in Episode I, and that Sont had practically squeezed it all into one box. So who are we to believe? Granted that doesn't necessarily mean PS2 is easy to program for, but nor was the CGI on Ep. I, I'm sure. But it certainly gives an indication of the power that is waiting to be unleashed.

I'm sure some companies will consider it more difficult than others; at one point it was claimed that only the "top 5" companies (though curiously they weren't named!) would be able to bring the best out of the machine from the start.

I think the best thing is to give it time and see what happens.
Fri 22/09/00 at 18:41
Where did you hear that from? Remember, if that is not an official statement, I wouldnt believe it, it come through word of mouth. If it is though, Ill assume that Sony will try to make it easier to program for. It could be anyone who started the rumours, but it may be down to propaganda
Fri 22/09/00 at 18:38
Regular
Lucasarts (programmer for all) also said something along the lines of "its a b****r to program for" as well.
And although Nintendo have also said this, I very much doubt they started the rumours.
Fri 22/09/00 at 17:03
Tigerblade, PSM2 did slate practically every launch game including RR V and TTT. I do agree that magazine that specifically write to one system are biased, but only in the case of Official magazines(Playstation and Nintendo spring to mind). I would trust what CVG and PSM writes but you must realise that there is a lot of rumour out there- I remember hearing that there was only 50,000 PS2's coming at launch. Tigerblade, I wouldnt take everything for face value...
Fri 22/09/00 at 16:50

Quite obviously PSM 2 is biased, all normal format mags are, try a multiformat mag....
Look at midnight club run and smugglers run and tell me if they could be done on the PS processor....
yes, they probably could. Look at MGS2 - wow!! obviously there has been a lot of effort put in cus if the PS2 was easy to program for, smugglers run would look as good as 4 wheel thunder on the DC...

Is Capcom Sonys rival? No, and they stated that it was `a b****r to program for` in CVG, but then in PSM 2 they would say differently, wouldnt they?

< almost every developer said that PS1 was very easy to program for, and that's why it had so much support. Can you *really* see Sony taking such a backward step in this area?>

Yea, its happened a lot, the SNES was easier to program for than the N64, some things they cant change, THEY DONT CARE ABOUT THE SYSTEM, they know it will sell well, cant you see??

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.