GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Anyone alse wanna moan about PC World"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 14/02/02 at 20:55
Regular
I went in pc world the other day to buy a Heatsink and fan for a pc i built for my dad, the cpu was only a duron 900 so i went to pc world to get a heatsink and fan for it, well they had a rack with 3 or 4 differant sections all for differant speed cpu's and all at differant prices and to my HORROR these Cooler master Cpu's are all the exact same spec (i know i use them at work) So for instance if you had a 800 duron cpu then you would go to the heatsink and fan that stated that speed for say, £6.99 but if you had an athlon 1800xp then you would buy the heatsink and fan that is stated at that speed for say, £10.99, so i had a look at them all and they were all the same model, the cheak of it.

I know it isnt big money but it is the principle that counts, they prey on people who know nothing about computers and thats WRONG!

c.b.
Tue 26/02/02 at 02:04
Regular
"Ninty's best friend"
yeah i wanna moan, i went for a job interview a few weeks ago cause there opening a shop up in springfeld chelmsford near the A12 i think.

Anyway i went to the interview and all went well and i thought i'd did pretty well and thought that i'd get the job.

anyway last week i got the letter of the result from the interview.

It was a rainy day, i'd slept in again and no one was in the house, i looked down the stairs and by the front door was a letter, i slowly walked down the stairs and saw it had my name on it, i got a strange feeling i knew what it was and what it said, and it was what i thought and said what i thought.

I didn't get the job :(

but hey crappy company anyway and i aint gunna let pc world get me down oh no, maybe i shoulda took that job at SR for customer service :( i'm a fool.
Tue 19/02/02 at 15:54
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
my mate worked at Time PC's and had the password for them, that was fun, didn't do anything 'naughty' *sniggers* though
Tue 19/02/02 at 15:40
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
A weekly event used to be to visit stores including Dixons and erase all of the Mac HD's... The stand back and watch them panic!!
Tue 19/02/02 at 15:26
Imagine what it's like going to PC World if you are a girl! I went in there with 2000 in cash for a dev machine at home, and after 1/2 hr of watching the 'salesmen' approach countless blokes and couples, I finally got the attention of one. I said I was looking for a PC to match this spec. and before I could get the paper out of my pocket, he said 'the computers are over there, they're all labelled' and walked away. He was wasting no time on me that's for sure.
Needless to say I spent the money in Tesco's instead (... bargains on standard PCs a couple of years ago ! )
Mon 18/02/02 at 15:27
"High polygon count"
I recently bought a Pioneer DVR-A03 DVD re-writer from PC World.

Not knowing *that* much about the intricacies of DVD formats, I also picked up two Philips DVD+RW discs.

Tried to put some data on them after I'd installed it, and it didn't want to know - so I dashed off an e-mail to Pioneer. This was on a Saturday.

Monday at work, I get a phone call from a guy at Pioneer, telling me that DVD+RW discs are not compatible; the DVR-A03 is a DVD-RW drive. When he asked me where I'd bought the drive and discs from, I told him... and his *exact* words to me were:

"Oh that doesn't surprise me. PC World don't have a bloody clue what they're selling."

Of course, I wasn't aware that DVD+RW and DVD-RW are different formats! And no-one at PC World cared to tell me that, despite my asking advice on what to buy!

So I did a quick check on the web and familiarised myself with the differences, then went back to PC World the following week and gave them a roasting over it.

But then PC Worlds are part of the Dixons group, and Dixons are notoriously bad for not knowing anything about what they're selling you.

My summary of PC World? Okay for buying individual components, and for those who know what they're doing. If you want to buy a whole PC system, or need technical advice, steer well clear.
Mon 18/02/02 at 08:52
Regular
I often set the alarms off in pc world, but not as much as i used to, the only thing i can think it used to be was, in my last job the anti-static devices were not very good and i was constantly getting static shocks, so when i went into pc world and come to think of it alot of other stores straight after work i would set off the alarms, it always happened in tescos.

c.b.
Sun 17/02/02 at 02:01
Regular
"One Of A Kind"
never pay cover from them we had problem on our pc and it never been sorted even tho we've got cover
Sun 17/02/02 at 01:00
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
I've bought numerous things from PC world. And once their incompetence actually benefitted me!

I picked up a nice new 3d Prophet IIMx (when they were new) and took it to the check out fully expecting to pay the marked price that was displayed on the shelf, only problem is when they scan the barcode stuck on to the box the name of an inferior card flashes up and they charge me a mere £89 for a then state-of-the-art graphics card.

As always though, on leaving the store the alarm went off. I have no idea why it does this. I must have been to PC World and bought stuff in excess of 10 times and every single time the items purchased have triggered the alarms when I walk through the detectors. Surely it can't be that hard to de-activate the security strip... Anyone else suffered from the incompetent alarms there?
Fri 15/02/02 at 14:55
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Actually I found the tech staff were the only people that knew what they were doing, them and the people at the checkouts, The manager probably didn't understand experience and thought they might be needed far away as possible just incase you nabbed his job.
Fri 15/02/02 at 14:51
Regular
a couple of months back i went in pc world to see if they had a job for me as i was desperate and curios to see what they pay, and the manager said i would have to work in the warehouse for a year before i can work as a tech, i have 4 years experiance and am a fully trained computer engineer, s in other words they probably just put warehouse staff who may only know a little about computers on the shop floor or as a tech.

c.b.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.