GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Am I missing the point with these reviews"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 14/02/02 at 17:31
Regular
My daughter wants to get Ecco (sorry can't account for tastes here - that's not the point)- The game isn't out for another week or so yet it has two customer reviews against it - how - you cant buy it yet ? I have seen this happen before many times and am always perplexed - good word considering I'm now of home.
Thu 14/02/02 at 17:31
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
My daughter wants to get Ecco (sorry can't account for tastes here - that's not the point)- The game isn't out for another week or so yet it has two customer reviews against it - how - you cant buy it yet ? I have seen this happen before many times and am always perplexed - good word considering I'm now of home.
Thu 14/02/02 at 17:33
Regular
"360: swfcman"
I have wondered that before, and basicly it is most people trying to 'sell' the game and make it out to be really good in order to try for a GAD. And they often get them.
Thu 14/02/02 at 17:36
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Just what I was thinking - they must be ripping of the reviews from somewhere else just to con themselves to a win - Special Reserve shouldn't allow it !
Thu 14/02/02 at 17:38
Regular
"360: swfcman"
They do though, its advertising games that are not out yet and gets them potential buyers to pay. Kind of unfair on the 'real' reviewers though.
Thu 14/02/02 at 17:49
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
nh wrote:
> Just what I was thinking - they must be ripping of the reviews from somewhere
> else just to con themselves to a win - Special Reserve shouldn't allow it !

There not ripping the reviews from anywhere as SR would know. Its pretty easy to write a review of a game thats not out. I could write one about Halo, Project Gotham, Dead Or Alive 3, Final Fantasy 10, Metal Gear Solid 2, Jet Set Radio Future e.t.c. as I have read lots about these games. Reviews can be written with knowledge of a game, and not any experience of playing the game. But in the case with Ecco the DC version has been out for over a year, so people who own the DC version could write a review for the PS2 version.
Thu 14/02/02 at 19:17
Regular
I agree with adrian here. It is completely possible to go and find out all the info you need to make a respectable review. Personally I`ve only ever once written a "preview" as a review, and tend to stick to writing the review once the game is complete, however there`s nothing wrong with doing loads of research into news articles, other sites` previews, and of course the website of the developers and then on top of that, playing demos, and watching rolling demos, and then forming your own review from that.
Fri 15/02/02 at 09:28
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
I take your point but - read the review of Ecco on PS2 by AntoC - he says he has bought the game and played it - which he can't have done - and is basing his review on that. Customer reviews are supposed to be exactly that - customer reviews which means they are reviews completed by people who have played the game and can therefore form their own opinion on the actual game, this can not be done by just researching other game magazine, publisher and producers sites. All this is doing is copying and pasting other peoples work to make what looks like a good informed review.
Fri 15/02/02 at 12:29
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
He could have it on import
Fri 15/02/02 at 12:42
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
They could have done the review from a OPSM2 playable demo...
Fri 15/02/02 at 12:45
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I agree with nh on this one.

A review is supposed to be your opinion on what you felt was good/bad about a game/movie/book.
By rehashing someone else's stuff, you can't add anything genuine to it simply because you have no experience.

They should be called "previews" not "reviews" due to the lack of personal input.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.