GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"EA further penalizing people who buy Mass Effect 3 second hand."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Mass Effect 3'.
Fri 06/04/12 at 15:53
Regular
"Braaains"
Over the past year or two there's been a trend emerging of penalizing people who buy second hand copies of games. Typically this involves giving people bonus downloadable content if they buy a game new, via redemption of a code. Or - and this is a bit more unethical - withholding the multiplayer portion of a game unless you buy a new copy or spend extra money to buy a multiplayer code.

However, EA - who coincidentally have been nominated for The Consumerist's 'Worst Company' award - have taken things a step further with Mass Effect 3. Mass Effect 2 gave you a bunch of extra bits and bats if you bought the game new or purchased a 'Cerberus Pass'. Mass Effect 3 doesn't have this option - instead, if you buy the game second hand you have to pay extra to get access to the game's online features of the game.

So how is that new? After all, Mass Effect is largely a single player experience. The difference is that to get the best ending in Mass Effect 3 - although I could make a separate post about how poor the endings are - you need to have an in-game military strength of 5000. This means completing a bunch of side quests etc to raise your military strength to this level. But your ending is also affected by the in-game 'galactic readiness' stat. If you don't play the online portion of the game, this is set at 50% which means that your military strength is halved.

What this really means is that if you buy the game second hand, it's twice as hard to get the best ending. Having a new purchase only multiplayer portion isn't all that new, but Mass Effect 3 actively penalizes people who bought the game second hand, making it harder to properly 'win' the game. Which given that, either way, you've paid money for the game, is a hell of a thing to do.
Fri 25/05/12 at 23:05
"possibly impossible"
Loved Death Race 2000, first saw that on VHS from a rental shop back in the 80s.

But I also liked the first Rush Hour too. Oh and Cananball Run. I have that on DVD, want to watch it again now.

Whether you like the Fast and Furious films or not, they bring in good audiences.
Fri 25/05/12 at 21:11
Regular
"I like turtles"
Rush Hour 4 is going to be an action movie? That's amazing as the first 3 sure as hell weren't! The only way I will be watching that is if the story revolves around Chris Tucker getting his big annoying mouth welded shut and he has to team up Chan to find some remedy to the brand of weapons grade uberglue that was used, hopefully they fail and the effects are permanent.... Nah, Rush Hour 4 (if it's ever made) will be nothing more than Chan topping up his pension. 1998's Who Am I? was really the last proper action movie Chan made, if Chinese Zodiac turns out to be what his fans are hoping for then I really believe that it will be his last. He's a 58 year old multi-millionaire these days, can't believe that he really want's to go back to doing that crazy stuff he became famous for.

Hmmm......Death Race 2000, good call! ;)
Fri 25/05/12 at 16:57
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I read the interview with Jackie Chan where he said that and in the very next sentence he said he'd do Rush Hour 4. So his retirement from action movies lasted 1 sentence. :)

Anyway, stop cheating! Monte Carlo Or Bust is based around the monte carlo rally, thats not illegal! If thats a valid choice, I'll bring Death Race 2000 into it.
Fri 25/05/12 at 08:05
Regular
"I like turtles"
Dr. Garin wrote:
It had Dean Martin & Sammy Davis Jr too. And it must have been one of the first appearance by Jackie Chan in a western movie.

I think it was his second, Battle Creek Brawl was definitely his first (starring role anyway, he was actually in 1973's Enter The Dragon for about 15 secs!), yes The Cannonball Run was the film in which the worlds most famous Hong Kong action star played a Japanese bloke! Anyway the Chanster is currently returning to his roots with Chinese Zodiac (Armour Of God 3), which is rumoured to be his last action role, it's in production now. Most of his later films have been total garbage but his earlier classics (Police Story etc.) rank among the greatest action movies ever made IMO.

As for Garin's choice of The Cannonball Run as a street racing movie, yes the film was about a car race but I don't actually recall there being that much car racing in it, if that's the criteria then I'm going to vote for this

Dom De Leuise's Captain Chaos was amazing though :)

Right, I'm voting for GAD's to be handed out to any forum members who have dragged threads mentally off topic.....
Fri 25/05/12 at 02:05
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
It had Dean Martin & Sammy Davis Jr too. And it must have been one of the first appearance by Jackie Chan in a western movie.
Thu 24/05/12 at 22:17
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Dr. Garin wrote:
Let me educate you then...

The Cannonball Run!

And I think Dr G has hit it spot on ... an excellent film for its day ... Burt Reynolds, Roger Moore and Farrah Fawcett :¬)

1981, by the way
Thu 24/05/12 at 22:12
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
pete_21 wrote:
pb wrote:
[i]Gangs of people driving fast cars in illegal street races? It could never work as a film.

To the best of my knowledge it has never worked as a GOOD film.[/i]

Let me educate you then...

The Cannonball Run!

Although I suppose if you wanted to be picky, you could say there werent very many gangs :P
Thu 24/05/12 at 21:28
Regular
Wonder if the Shadow of the Colossus movie will come out at the same time as the Last Guardian.

lol Road Rash. Takes me back to the mega drive days :)
Thu 24/05/12 at 15:37
Regular
"I like turtles"
pb wrote:
pete_21 wrote:
[i]God bless EA

Gangs of people driving fast cars in illegal street races? It could never work as a film.[/i]

To the best of my knowledge it has never worked as a GOOD film. The Need For Speed movie is apparently going to be directed by the same guy who made Act Of Valor, that film was basically a serious version of Team America which used real (or-ex) military personnel instead of actors and unsurprisingly none of them could act, and even if they could have acted it would still have been pretty rubbish anyway. The action sequences looked like they had edited using a chainsaw and most of the time I had no idea what the hell was going on. Michael Bay is rumoured to be somehow involved with the Need For Speed project, so on paper it all seems to be looking rather terrible. I reckon I'd more excited about a Guy Ritchie directed Road Rash movie TBH.
Thu 24/05/12 at 13:26
"possibly impossible"
pete_21 wrote:
God bless EA

Gangs of people driving fast cars in illegal street races? It could never work as a film.

In other related news, the Shadow of the Colossus movie apparently has a Director

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.