GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"IAmA Request: Talented staffie"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 04/04/12 at 14:21
Regular
chasfh wrote:
Machie wrote:
[i]Wow I totally thought I was the only Games Workshop nut on Freeola. I'm surprised! A sculptor as well.

Used to work for them...

I am a competition level figure painter, sculptor, scenery builder, and I just recently sold all my GW stuff on...[/i]

Wow, I wish I could see some of your work. You have my respect. It's not easy work to do, I've tried. Still I really love doing it. We actually have a GW store in our neighboring city here in Japan. I'll have to pay them a visit again sometime.

Can I ask you some questions chasfh?

How did you get into it? Were you any good at art in school? Why did you sell your GW stuff? When it comes to painting, lead or plastic? Is this something you're still doing? How many hours did it take to sculpt on average? Did you have a favourite race to sculpt/paint? What is your job at Freeola? Please tell me you're their fulltime GM and during work outings you enjoy larping. Have you ever considered going into 3D?
Thu 12/04/12 at 22:08
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
chasfh wrote:
Its actually my third novel. The first is already on Kindle, called Mother God; Evolution War and its the first of a trilogy.

As loyal Freeola forum users we all get free copies right?
Thu 12/04/12 at 21:02
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
DL wrote:
Doom or Quake based? I'd go with Quake II ;¬)

DOOM!!! I love Doom 3, can't wait for 4...

Although, ultimately anything Cthulhu based is good:-)
Thu 12/04/12 at 20:56
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Doom or Quake based? I'd go with Quake II ;¬)
Thu 12/04/12 at 20:09
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Machie wrote:
Will do. :)

Book? You're writing or drawing one? I wanted to ask you if you had any other hobbies. Although a book is a lot more serious than a hobby.

Its actually my third novel. The first is already on Kindle, called Mother God; Evolution War and its the first of a trilogy. The second is mostly complete, but I am taking a break from sci fi at the moment to write an H.P. Lovecraft style 1930's thriller called "The Journal of Elliot Wallis". I'm about 100 pages in now, probably about a third of the way.

As a matter of interest, Mother God has also been made into a series of 3D virtual models, which I sell through my site store.
Thu 12/04/12 at 19:27
Regular
Will do. :)

Book? You're writing or drawing one? I wanted to ask you if you had any other hobbies. Although a book is a lot more serious than a hobby.
Thu 12/04/12 at 15:39
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Machie wrote:
Wow cheers chasfh. I'll definitely check it out. Hopefully it wont take too long for me to learn. I'll download the free trial and have a go.

Really love your work by the way. I always get inspired when I see some really nice talent.

Thanks.. I really need to get back to working on some 3D stuff again. I have a new character half designed, complete with outfit and props, just needs finishing off and some nice texture work.

The problem is my book takes up all my spare time at the moment!

Don't forget to share some links if you get round to creating some animations or 3D work..
Thu 12/04/12 at 15:23
Regular
Wow cheers chasfh. I'll definitely check it out. Hopefully it wont take too long for me to learn. I'll download the free trial and have a go.

Really love your work by the way. I always get inspired when I see some really nice talent.
Wed 11/04/12 at 10:42
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Machie wrote:
Very cumbersome. I tried to learn a few times before but gave up. Only after I found lots of books and video tutorials did I finally get something decent out of it. It takes up a lot of my time though so I haven't had the chance to do any more since last year, but I want to do more.

When I was growing up I always wanted to do comics and animation.

I know I was learning the hard way. I should have tried some of the ones you mentioned first.

For animation that you can do simply, I'd recommend Poser. It contains all you need to create an animation, and most of it can be broadly designed using key frames- set a starting position for a figure, set a finishing position, and it will work out the intermediate frames for you. You can then further tweak the frames if you need to.

As the lighting, models and texture setups are so good, it does still allow for considerable flexibility. There's also a great little community built up around Poser and daz, with sites like this one where you can find all the help you need plus LOADS of inspirational works...

Check out my pages there for masses of my stuff (artist name chasfh)...
Wed 11/04/12 at 09:37
Regular
Very cumbersome. I tried to learn a few times before but gave up. Only after I found lots of books and video tutorials did I finally get something decent out of it. It takes up a lot of my time though so I haven't had the chance to do any more since last year, but I want to do more.

When I was growing up I always wanted to do comics and animation.

I know I was learning the hard way. I should have tried some of the ones you mentioned first.
Tue 10/04/12 at 12:34
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Machie wrote:
Sorry about that chasfh, it was my first anniversary the other day and I got pulled away.

Really impressed by your 3D work. What software do you use? I'm studying with Maya at the moment. I got inspired to give it a try after seeing some short animations by an old Freeolian who left for the gaming industry.

I can understand what you mean working for GW, although working for Freeola must be fun.

I use several different software packages for my 3D stuff.

Daz Studio or Poser for setting up and rendering final images- Daz is a free software, so great if you want to give it a try! Poser is more flexible, and the lighting algorithms are better, so much more realistic results can be achieved.

I use Wings 3D for modelling the meshes, and Paintshop Pro or Photoshop to create the textures. Wings 3D again is free, so worth a bash if you want to try it out.

I also use Cararra occasionally, and z-brush on rare occasions.

And yes, I enjoy my current job!:-)

How's Maya treating you? I actually found it a little cumbersome at times.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.