GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sick and Tired"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/02/02 at 18:26
Regular
I really have had enough. Time and time again it will happen and can we do anything about it? No! What am i talking about you may ask. Well my freinds, let me tell you that the subject in matter is that about Censorship and age limits.

The other day i walked into a games shop and asked them if they could tell me the release date of 'state of emergency'. After a very rude sigh from the assistant, he got out his schedule book and was ready to announce the date when he said "Hang on, This game is rated 18, therefore you have no reason to know the release date". I felt this was very very unproffesional and i didn't think he was allowed to judge people like that. After a few angry seconds i replied "My brother who is 18 would like to know". This time he told me the date (22nd feb) and i left, pretty annoyed.

The thing that angered me most about this though was not that he refused to tell me the date but simply because of the fact that a 15 year old kid can't purchase a game such as 'State of emergency'. Why should i be not allowed? Do they really think that i will pick up a glass bottle, smash someone over the head with it, and then run, just because i played it in a game? Don't think so. In fact you could call that insulting to me and my family. Making out i was brought up rough and am stupid enough to think glassing someone is clever. The whole idea of games is to enjoy something that is not otherwise possible in the real world, not to learn the best way of killing someone. Who do they think we are? A bunch of raving looneys?

Take this for an example. Your sitting in your room playing the 15 years rated 'Metal Gear Solid 2' when you think to yourself "It would be really good if i hurled myself of a bridge, crept onto a tanker ship, then started blasting the day lights out of about 50 terrorists." Its just not something you do! For a start this sort of situation isn't available to you and second you must be pretty dumb if you think you can play the part of Solid Snake in real life. Another game 'Quake 3' sees you fighting aliens and unhuman life forms on distant planets. Its rated 15 because of the violence. Why though? Do they think people under 15 will go off and fly to a place from outer space and start blasting aliens just because they saw something like this on a computer game?

The other day i borrowed FIFA 2002 off a mate. I got bored and thought "Hmmm....wonder how many players i can get sent off?" After a few minutes my Red card rampage had finished resulting in 2 Broken legs, a torn ligament, and a broken collar bone. All this happened on a game that is rated 'ok' for 3 year olds. So if this sort of violence is ok for 3 year olds then how come a 'Mature' 15 year old can't wintness something like GTA3?

There may be some 18 year olds thinking "Hah, I'm over 18, it's ok for me". Well your wrong. Several games have already been banned completely because of their content. These include PSOne's 'Thrill Kill' a four player fighting game which saw people ripping off limbs, killing people with scalpuls, and kicking people in the privates. Also banned was a game called 'Football Hooligans', a strategy game where you had to control a herd of raging hooligans trying to wreak havoc among a peaceful football match. Do they really think a game like this would encourage trouble at matches? Well i think the thugs you see on the news are too busy being morons in foreign countries rather than playing computer games!

As well as games being banned the computing world has also seen 'Game Taming'. Games such as GTA3 which are deemed to be 'too violent' have had to become less 'bad' in order to be allowed a release in the UK. This means that the game may become less fun or key parts get missed out. 'Twisted Metal: Black' losing it's 'Violent' but key FMV sequences is a good example of this. This move as many of the games owners know totally wrecked the story line.
And the reason 'State of emergency' has been put back? You can bet your life savings it's because Rockstar have been made to tame their game.

So this problem seems to be affecting us all. Something needs to be done. After all most the decent games seem to be over 15 age rated. Do we really want to be left with all cutesy platformers......I think not.

Thanks for reading.
NAT.
Wed 13/02/02 at 18:26
Regular
"  "
I really have had enough. Time and time again it will happen and can we do anything about it? No! What am i talking about you may ask. Well my freinds, let me tell you that the subject in matter is that about Censorship and age limits.

The other day i walked into a games shop and asked them if they could tell me the release date of 'state of emergency'. After a very rude sigh from the assistant, he got out his schedule book and was ready to announce the date when he said "Hang on, This game is rated 18, therefore you have no reason to know the release date". I felt this was very very unproffesional and i didn't think he was allowed to judge people like that. After a few angry seconds i replied "My brother who is 18 would like to know". This time he told me the date (22nd feb) and i left, pretty annoyed.

The thing that angered me most about this though was not that he refused to tell me the date but simply because of the fact that a 15 year old kid can't purchase a game such as 'State of emergency'. Why should i be not allowed? Do they really think that i will pick up a glass bottle, smash someone over the head with it, and then run, just because i played it in a game? Don't think so. In fact you could call that insulting to me and my family. Making out i was brought up rough and am stupid enough to think glassing someone is clever. The whole idea of games is to enjoy something that is not otherwise possible in the real world, not to learn the best way of killing someone. Who do they think we are? A bunch of raving looneys?

Take this for an example. Your sitting in your room playing the 15 years rated 'Metal Gear Solid 2' when you think to yourself "It would be really good if i hurled myself of a bridge, crept onto a tanker ship, then started blasting the day lights out of about 50 terrorists." Its just not something you do! For a start this sort of situation isn't available to you and second you must be pretty dumb if you think you can play the part of Solid Snake in real life. Another game 'Quake 3' sees you fighting aliens and unhuman life forms on distant planets. Its rated 15 because of the violence. Why though? Do they think people under 15 will go off and fly to a place from outer space and start blasting aliens just because they saw something like this on a computer game?

The other day i borrowed FIFA 2002 off a mate. I got bored and thought "Hmmm....wonder how many players i can get sent off?" After a few minutes my Red card rampage had finished resulting in 2 Broken legs, a torn ligament, and a broken collar bone. All this happened on a game that is rated 'ok' for 3 year olds. So if this sort of violence is ok for 3 year olds then how come a 'Mature' 15 year old can't wintness something like GTA3?

There may be some 18 year olds thinking "Hah, I'm over 18, it's ok for me". Well your wrong. Several games have already been banned completely because of their content. These include PSOne's 'Thrill Kill' a four player fighting game which saw people ripping off limbs, killing people with scalpuls, and kicking people in the privates. Also banned was a game called 'Football Hooligans', a strategy game where you had to control a herd of raging hooligans trying to wreak havoc among a peaceful football match. Do they really think a game like this would encourage trouble at matches? Well i think the thugs you see on the news are too busy being morons in foreign countries rather than playing computer games!

As well as games being banned the computing world has also seen 'Game Taming'. Games such as GTA3 which are deemed to be 'too violent' have had to become less 'bad' in order to be allowed a release in the UK. This means that the game may become less fun or key parts get missed out. 'Twisted Metal: Black' losing it's 'Violent' but key FMV sequences is a good example of this. This move as many of the games owners know totally wrecked the story line.
And the reason 'State of emergency' has been put back? You can bet your life savings it's because Rockstar have been made to tame their game.

So this problem seems to be affecting us all. Something needs to be done. After all most the decent games seem to be over 15 age rated. Do we really want to be left with all cutesy platformers......I think not.

Thanks for reading.
NAT.
Wed 13/02/02 at 18:53
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Why not name and shame the store ?
Wed 13/02/02 at 19:00
Regular
"  "
*Drum roll* EB
Wed 13/02/02 at 19:14
ye but there are some sick kids in the world that are evil and do follow video games and movies, you hear about them on tv, the main case was james bulger where they followed what they had seen from the chucky doll films, it is a very sad and sickening thought that evil things can do such crimes, dont take it personal i get refused as well but my brother just goes dwon and then the guy behind the counter cant say anything because he is a chump! LOL
Wed 13/02/02 at 19:17
Regular
"  "
Surely if these kids are sick then there gonna do dumb stuff even if they don't get influenced....i see your poin though.
Wed 13/02/02 at 19:44
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Natbuc wrote:
> *Drum roll* EB

How did I guess? The EB staff always have a bad attitude to customers. The attitude of, if they really want the game they will buy it, regardless of how we treat them.

I'm under 18 (15). If I walk into my local EB and pick up an 18 game to look at, NOT EVEN BUY IT! I can see the EB staff sniggering behind the counter, and thats not just me thinking that. I can actually see them looking at me, and sniggering. I always hate going into EB now, as my local shop is quite small and quiet, so I would be the only customer in the store, with all the staff staring at me.

Normally, if I want to know about a game, I go to WHsmiths. The staff there are a lot more friendly (they actually let me BUY 18 games if I want, which I know is illegal but I don't care). If I had a SR store near me, I would probably go there, but unfortunately the nearest store is about 1 1/2 hours away.

In my opinion, the certificate on the game should be a suggestion. If I want a game,the money, and the permission of my parents (who don't care about the certificate, I was in 12 rated films when I was 8, I had GTA -which is an 18- ages ago e.t.c)
If the certifiate was a suggestion, then that would mean that a protective parent could see the 18 sign, and maybe tell their child they are not allowed it whereas parents who don't mind could simply let their child go out and buy the game.

I totally agree with your point about the reasons for these ratings. They are totally unjustifiable. No one who has enough intellgience to be able to work their hands to play a game, would be stupid enough to copy the actions of a video games character. You could say that Parappa the Rapper 2 could influence people to run into the kitchen of a fast food resturant and start singing "Toast the buns!" Its stupid!!!

People should be given enough respect to be trusted to play on a video game without copying the actions. No game should be completly banned! Do they think we haven't got enough inteligence to decide for ourselves wheather a game is too violent. I would really hate to be in Australia, where GTA3 has been banned. Banning a game seems to say to us that the country hasn't got any trust in our intelligence.

The age limits, IMO, could be counted as discrimination. Why do makers think that people over 18 have enough maturity to decide wheather a game is too violent, and people under 18 are suddenly thick, and can't tell the difference between good and bad.

I personally think that I am more mature then some 18 year olds.
Wed 13/02/02 at 19:50
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
TomUK wrote:

In my opinion,
> the certificate on the game should be a suggestion. If I want a game,the money,
> and the permission of my parents (who don't care about the certificate, I was in
> 12 rated films when I was 8, I had GTA -which is an 18- ages ago e.t.c)
If the
> certifiate was a suggestion, then that would mean that a protective parent could
> see the 18 sign, and maybe tell their child they are not allowed it whereas
> parents who don't mind could simply let their child go out and buy the
> game.

Sorry, I messed that paragraph up. It should say:

In my opinion, the certificate on the game should be a suggestion. If I want a game, I havethe money, and the permission of my parents (who don't care about the certificate, I was in 12 rated films when I was 8, I had GTA -which is an 18- ages ago e.t.c) then I should be allowed to walk freely into the shop, and buy the game.

If the certifiate was a suggestion, then that would mean that a protective parent could see the 18 sign, and tell their child they are not allowed to buy it, whereas parents who don't mind about the limits could simply let their child go out and buy the game, without having to waste their own time and go out to buy it for you.
Wed 13/02/02 at 19:50
Regular
I think the age limit now is ment to appeal to older fans who would buy a game more because it has a high age limit, like in films. age limit is sometimes higher because of how hard the game is aswell as content.
Wed 13/02/02 at 19:51
Regular
Another thing, you would'ent want ya todler getting silent hill 2.
Wed 13/02/02 at 19:54
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Legendary Link wrote:
> I think the age limit now is ment to appeal to older fans who would buy a game
> more because it has a high age limit, like in films. age limit is sometimes
> higher because of how hard the game is aswell as content.

Well then, that is being selfish. I agree that some makers put an 18 logo on it to make it seem more tough, and not a wimps game. The the person buying it will think they look 'Cool'. But why should this mean I'm not allowed to buy the game?

I can see what you are saying, and I agree with it. I just think the age limit is stupid.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.