GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bring Back Knightmare!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 18/12/02 at 13:22
Regular
Anyone older than 20 will remember Knightmare. After reading the Crystal Maze post I realised that there was a show that was far superior - the legendary Knightmare. Back in the days of RPG Fighting Fantasy books and Warhammer shops and general fantasy idiots with their Orc models and cretinous dice games, there emerged from the depths a show of such originality and heroic grandeur that everyone wanted to be on it. Yes, Knightmare was here and our (well, mine anyway) lives were changed forever. Your team consisted of four persons of which you nominated one to be the "dungeoneer" who would wear an oversized helmet which restricted his view to one direction - just below his nose! Teams were aged from 11-16 and only the best got through the auditions. Knightmare was the first TV show to use "blusescreen" technology whereupon the "dungeoneer" was walking around different computer generated rooms/dungeons and his teammates had to help him navigate the pitfalls of the the respective dungeon. The three team members sat down with the Dungeon Master (who didn't resemble the Dungeon Master out of the cartoon Dungeons & Dragons in any way or form - rather that being a small balding white haired wise man, he was a fairly tall bloke with typical full-on beard who was known as Treeguard, I think) who usually imparted a few handy hints and tips if you were stuck at a particularly hard part in your "quest".
Ah, yes. The quest. It involved you either escaping the dungeon or retrieving an object of significance. Puzzles, enigmas and the like had to be solved at various points en route to fulfilling your "quest" and achieving notoriety by completing it. In actual fact, the "dungeoneer" didn't really walk around different fantasy settings, but rather walked around one massive room with superimposed computer images constantly changing and updating to give us an appearance of a massive, sprawling fantasy domain. You could also use magic to get you through tough parts in your "quest".
Knightmare first began circa 1987 and set off a revolution. It was the most talked about programme on T.V. for the majority of gamers/RPG lovers and even some girls were swayed by the allure of such a mystical world. Indeed, after the first series, girls could and would eagerly audition in their own teams as well and routinely made the final cut although they did seem to suffer in the "quest" more than the male orientated teams (sorry girls, but it's true). I even auditioned with some friends but we didn't make the show. It was the worst day of my youthful exuburant life. I even remember the "code of chivalry":
"Be courageous, dutiful and just, protect the weak, and show honour even in adversity." Heroic ideals for impressionable children.
Knightmare had so many great touches; the way your helmet, skull and finally your eyeballs (this was a computer rendered image - it didn't actually happen!) started to fall apart and disappear when you hadn't eaten. The manner in which you had to battle monsters, the rapid issuing of instructions to your "dungeoneer" lest he fall prey to the to some of the more unwholesome denizens of the dungeons were all classic moments. I used to sit at home laughing when a character started acting the fool, empathising with the teams when their "dungeoneer" takes one "sidestep to the left" too many and plummets to his demise, screaming in rage when I knew the answer to a puzzle and the teams were baffled by it and so on and so forth. I make no bones about this - I LOVED Knightmare.
Knightmare was a great show and, with the advances in technology, surely we could have a new version for the 21st century? What do you think and in what ways should/could the show be updated to bring it to the forefront of modern television while still retaining the essential ingredients that made it such compulsive viewing?
Fri 20/12/02 at 12:10
"Stupid Newbie :D"
cookie monster wrote:
> Kids will never stop feeling thrilled and scared at the sight of Lord
> FEAR!

What are you sniffing? :P
"Lord fear" was the pathetic second generation Knightmare bad guy, he sucked majorly. :P

Treguard is the man with the plan. ;)
Thu 19/12/02 at 14:49
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Strokes wrote:
> Everyone always died at the bit with the big playing cards and the
> ledges sticking out of the wall

I seen some people do it. One team got that right at the start of their quest.
Thu 19/12/02 at 14:44
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Solskjær wrote:
> HEY!! I'm younger than 20 and I remember it perfectly!
>
> I always used to think that host-guy with the dark hair and dark beard
> in control looked like my dad too... :)

What? Maybe your dad IS Treguard? Ask him tonight if he ever knew someone called Pickles. If he reacts, it's him. You better be careful - he's probably got a few skeletons in his cupboard. Quite literally, I'd imagine.

Oh, I've got a bit of news on Knightmare so pay attention - not just Knightmare either. Dangermouse, Grotbags - remember them?

30.11.2002 - Knightmare on CITV?

On 3rd January 2003, CITV will be celebrating its 20th anniversary. Rumour has it that they will be showing an episode of Knightmare. It is certainly mentioned in the latest CITV newsletter [26th November]:

We will have lots of old CiTV presenters like Matthew Kelly, Grotbags, Teabag, Roland Rat - ones that your Mum and Dad may even remember!

CiTV has changed loads in the last 20 years and you'll be able to see how it used to look! We'll also be giving away 20 great competition prizes and the chance to watch classic shows like Knightmare, The Moomins and Dangermouse! More details when we have it.

30.11.2002 - Knightmare on Challenge schedule

Confirmed details of the schedule for the Series 3 showing on Challenge:

December 2002
Episode 1: Monday 23rd
Episode 2: Thursday 26th

The above episodes will be shown as part of Challenge's 'Christmas Cult Selection' slot, sometime between 2pm-5pm and repeated 9pm-Midnight (check the Electronic Programme Guide nearer the date for exact times). A short Knightmare documentary will be played immediately before each episode.

January 2003
Starting on 4th January, Series 3 will be repeated again from Episode 1, weekends at 10am, repeated at 5pm.

Episode 1: Saturday 4th: 10am, repeated 5pm
Episode 2: Sunday 5th: 10am, repeated 5pm
Episode 3: Saturday 11th: 10am, repeated 5pm
Episode 4: Sunday 12th: 10am, repeated 5pm
Episode 5: Saturday 18th: 10am, repeated 5pm
Episode 6: Sunday 19th: 10am, repeated 5pm
Episode 7: Saturday 25th: 10am, repeated 5pm
Episode 8: Sunday 26th: 10am, repeated 5pm

You can now vote in the Christmas Cult Selection poll on their website at http://www.challenge.co.uk. There will be a countdown of the results on 1st January, and if Knightmare wins, episode 3 will be shown on that date!

If the viewing figures are good enough, it is likely that more episodes, series, and possibly a longer documentary will be scheduled. Also there is a chance that it may be shown on 'F tn' (Flextech channel) on Freeview. Plans will be confirmed at a later date.
Thu 19/12/02 at 14:43
Regular
Everyone always died at the bit with the big playing cards and the ledges sticking out of the wall
Thu 19/12/02 at 14:14
Regular
"Long time no see!"
HEY!! I'm younger than 20 and I remember it perfectly!

I always used to think that host-guy with the dark hair and dark beard in control looked like my dad too... :)

But it was a brilliant thing, and didn't deserve to simply dissapear like it did. I also remember seeing some cheap clone of it with different places and things to do and that, also on CITV...
Thu 19/12/02 at 13:49
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I remember Knightmare, and I'm only 19. I think it was on as recently as 10 years ago, maybe a little before that.

It used to be a great program, but I'm no so sure it would do so well now, as times have changed.

But it would be cool to some of the older programs again.
Thu 19/12/02 at 13:47
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Most likely restricted to age, unbeliever, it is a kids show after all.

If you like, you can wear a crash helmet back to front and we'll all guide you around tesco's car park....

:)
Thu 19/12/02 at 13:46
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Theres only one way to find out.

*puts spyglass to eye shield*
Thu 19/12/02 at 13:41
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Excellent news. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

The TV channel 'Challenge' is a cable and digital channel. It shows quiz shows.
Thu 19/12/02 at 13:40
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Strangely enough i was thinking about this just last night. And you dont need to be 20 to remember knightmare, im 17 and i remember it in all its greatness.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.