GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cyberhome DVD505 Multi-Region Player"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 18/12/02 at 18:43
Regular
Can't be arsed to write a review, and I'm not particularly moved to complain either, but I thought I'd note a few corrections on Special Reserve's description of this player for any future prospective buyers...

1) DVD player does not display JPEG images, despite the review (by Darkus) stating otherwise. This feature is not documented on the product's box, nor is it within the manual, and being technically minded I can safely say that after numerous tests with CDs containing JPEG images - it does not display them, the player assumes the disc is an MP3 CD, but does not scan it for files as it would with actual MP3 discs.

2) You cannot set the player to region 0, as stated in the review, so it is not a case of "enter the code provided once and the player is region free - permanently!". What you actually have to do is manually change the player's region setting each time you wish to watch a disc that isn't region 2, then return it to region 2 when you wish to watch UK DVDs - so another erroneous comment.

You can also take it as red, that with this being the 505 model, and the 402 being a few models down from this and £10 cheaper - it won't display JPEGs or allow a region 0 setting either. So the write ups for both products need extensive altering.

Other than that, it does exactly what it says on the tin; Dolby 5.1 & DTS decoding, perfect picture quality & zoom function, variable speed slow-mo etc. etc. Well worth the cash, just don't expect the aforementioned features to be present.
Thu 19/12/02 at 10:06
Regular
"..."
Pointless Babble wrote:
> Can't be arsed to write a review, and I'm not particularly moved to
> complain either, but I thought I'd note a few corrections on Special
> Reserve's description of this player for any future prospective
> buyers...
>
> 1) DVD player does not display JPEG images, despite the review (by
> Darkus) stating otherwise.

erm, I didnt review the CyberHome 505, for a start....

The defence rests.
Thu 19/12/02 at 01:22
"Stupid Newbie :D"
Y'know kiddy, there's a saying; "don't knock what you can't afford". ;)

Still, you had no idea of what you were talking about, and posted purely for the sake of spamming. Silly child, methinks Santa will be skipping your house this year. ;)
Wed 18/12/02 at 19:12
Regular
"I will smash you up"
Let me guess its some kind of super space aged mega technoligical piece of machienary that can do lots of things.
Wed 18/12/02 at 18:43
"Stupid Newbie :D"
Can't be arsed to write a review, and I'm not particularly moved to complain either, but I thought I'd note a few corrections on Special Reserve's description of this player for any future prospective buyers...

1) DVD player does not display JPEG images, despite the review (by Darkus) stating otherwise. This feature is not documented on the product's box, nor is it within the manual, and being technically minded I can safely say that after numerous tests with CDs containing JPEG images - it does not display them, the player assumes the disc is an MP3 CD, but does not scan it for files as it would with actual MP3 discs.

2) You cannot set the player to region 0, as stated in the review, so it is not a case of "enter the code provided once and the player is region free - permanently!". What you actually have to do is manually change the player's region setting each time you wish to watch a disc that isn't region 2, then return it to region 2 when you wish to watch UK DVDs - so another erroneous comment.

You can also take it as red, that with this being the 505 model, and the 402 being a few models down from this and £10 cheaper - it won't display JPEGs or allow a region 0 setting either. So the write ups for both products need extensive altering.

Other than that, it does exactly what it says on the tin; Dolby 5.1 & DTS decoding, perfect picture quality & zoom function, variable speed slow-mo etc. etc. Well worth the cash, just don't expect the aforementioned features to be present.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.