GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"wow, Xbox finally doing well sales wise it seems"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 22/12/02 at 00:32
Regular
I normaly hold no major significance to sales reports, but when I read this at planetxbox, I was shocked at how well Xbox was doing...so it seems for now anyway.

Apparantly, NPD reported that Xbox outsold GC for the seventh month in a row in the US, despite Metroid being released. Xbox Live had a major impact, selling 80% better than the PS2 adapter, selling out on release and shifting over 300,000 xbox live games in the month of november.

In Europe, chartrack reported for every one GC sold there are 2 xboxs.

And I almost fainted when I saw MS has sold, wait for it... a HUGE...

13, 400 Xboxs last week in Japan! Ok, so GC shifted 67, 000 and PS2 over 100,000 but anyway, its a big jump from previous weekly tallies.

Should be interesting to see how long this holds up, and if titles like Panzer Draggon Orta can turn the tide in Japan. Anyway, things are looking up, over the summer months xbox owners we forever told of how badly it was doing, at least now theres a nice feeling that xbox is shifting numbers to ensure its around for a good while yet.
Sun 22/12/02 at 00:32
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
I normaly hold no major significance to sales reports, but when I read this at planetxbox, I was shocked at how well Xbox was doing...so it seems for now anyway.

Apparantly, NPD reported that Xbox outsold GC for the seventh month in a row in the US, despite Metroid being released. Xbox Live had a major impact, selling 80% better than the PS2 adapter, selling out on release and shifting over 300,000 xbox live games in the month of november.

In Europe, chartrack reported for every one GC sold there are 2 xboxs.

And I almost fainted when I saw MS has sold, wait for it... a HUGE...

13, 400 Xboxs last week in Japan! Ok, so GC shifted 67, 000 and PS2 over 100,000 but anyway, its a big jump from previous weekly tallies.

Should be interesting to see how long this holds up, and if titles like Panzer Draggon Orta can turn the tide in Japan. Anyway, things are looking up, over the summer months xbox owners we forever told of how badly it was doing, at least now theres a nice feeling that xbox is shifting numbers to ensure its around for a good while yet.
Sun 22/12/02 at 00:55
Regular
"everyone says it"
1 - Game Boy advance 241,600 (2,821,400)
2 - PlayStation 2 115,200 (3,357,200)
3 - Gamecube 67,500 (1,052,300)
4 - Xbox 13,400 (296,200)
5 - Psone 2,800 (213,300)

Those are the actual Japanese sales for last week.

PML@GBA!

Go you crazy crazy handheld. Thats more GBA's than the four consoles placed together.
Sun 22/12/02 at 13:11
Regular
Good games = good sales and that is why I believe the Xbox is now beating the GameCube is sales. I am not saying the GameCube doesn't have any good games because it does, but the majority of the good games are on the Xbox console and as far as the release list goes for next year I can see it continuing this way. Good old Microsoft I knew they wouldn't fault me!
Sun 22/12/02 at 15:07
Regular
So, good news then.

The Xbox is finally picking up so MS aren't doomed to fail, but it's still not even close to touching the Playstation heights of success that MS want to aim for (after all, their main plan behind the Xbox is to build up a user base). That means that more price cuts and special offers are still to come.

I wonder what MS will be offering on the Xbox's march, "1 year since launch in Europe" aniversary.
I bet there'll be some pretty nifty Xbox live deals floating around...
Sun 22/12/02 at 16:19
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Well when xbox 2 comes out i know i will definaltly buy one hopefully on release and i can bet that a load of others will too, as MIcrosoft have shifted quite a few boxes people realise how good th machine actualy is.
Sun 22/12/02 at 18:10
Regular
Strafex why don't you just buy one now or trade your Cube in for one? You have talked about the games you want and how you are looking forward to Xbox Live and I can't see them cutting the price any more until summer of next year at the earliest.
Sun 22/12/02 at 18:26
"+ suspicious minds"
Sorry to be aspilsport, but in japan Gamecube sales LEVELED with the PS2!

it outsold the x-box 13:1. this was due to the OOT/Ura zelda pre-order scheme. Nice one! It is also outselling the black box 3:1.

okay, so the Japan sales aren't everything, but come on! PS2! even for one weeksworth, thats a phenominal amount of hardware!

good luck to the X-Box, although, to be honest I can see either consoles suddeny 'Misfiring' withina month. Not so much the GTC sales, at least japan see's through the 'adult' stance of X-Box and Ps2 slightly more than the western bred food tubes. good luck to the X-box, at least It's a genuinly better console than PS2 currently.

and those who think Microsoft have an unfair advantage through outside market monopolisation. Your own TV is likely to be panasonic or sony, and a surprising amount of other things are Sony-proucts anyway. The GB/GBA has COMPLETELY monopolised the handheld market, owning 89.5 percent of sales, and The PS2 has practically monopolised the Game console market anyway. so if either console goes belly up then they are both safe.

hope I didn't screw that last post up too much...
Sun 22/12/02 at 19:38
Christine Misfire wrote:
> Your own TV is likely to be panasonic or sony,
> and a surprising amount of other things are Sony-proucts anyway.
> The GB/GBA has COMPLETELY monopolised the handheld market, owning 89.5
> percent of sales, and The PS2 has practically monopolised the Game
> console market anyway.

Bush. =P

I wonder why the GBA has a lot of the market....could it be because its the only handheld that actually seems to be alive?
Apparently theres supposed to be a new GBA coming out.

Anyway, whatever way you look at it, the X-Box sales are increasing which can only be a good thing for all involved.
Sun 22/12/02 at 20:10
Regular
I thought that the X-Box was selling 4,000 more in Europe, and 4,000 more in America? Anyway, total sales show the GameCube is coming second.
Sun 22/12/02 at 21:42
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Strafex why don't you just buy one now

No money. :-)

>or trade your Cube in for one?

Halo, Splinter Cell etc... they're fantastic games that I'd love to own, but I wouldn't go as far as to choose them over Smash Brothers, Mario, Zelda and Metroid etc... :-)

> You have talked about the games you want and how you are looking
> forward to Xbox Live

I can't get that until I get broadband anyway.

>and I can't see them cutting the price any more
> until summer of next year at the earliest.

Can't you? Well I didn't forsee ANY of these cuts (except for the £160 which was expected after Sony cut the PS2). The cuts will slow down from here but they'll keep coming.

I'm almost certain that there'll be another one by March.

Besides, the only 2 major things that the Xbox can do that my Gamecube can't are DVD's (our household has a DVD player) and Xbox live (and we can't do that without broadband).

The Xbox has great games but I've not got enough money for all the great Gamecube games I want as it is...

I'm getting an Xbox, but not yet...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.