GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Kids these days...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 08/02/02 at 17:39
Regular
It's Friday, schools over, hurray! I walk towards the school gates. A small group of girls from another school, wait for some boys. One of them casually smokes a cigarette, she can't be any older than 13 or 14 - she looks it. She smokes a few metres away from a school teacher at the main gates. Kids these days...

I walk towards the train station. Soon there is a group of four boys, holding cigarettes, smoking them, trying to look cool. They are year 10. They look it with their youthful looks. The cigarette in their hands makes them look stupid rather than cool. I feel like laughing in their faces, as they look so hilarious. They leave us a trail of smoke to inhale as we walk behind - how thoughtful. Kids these days...

I'm on the train and start reading a book! It's Friday afternoon and I'm reading a book! Kids these days...

The book is quite funny though. One idea in particular is very amusing. There is a party where everyone there drinks alcohol, even the children. One child in particular drinks so much he looks in quite a bad state, that they reckon they should take him to hospital. As all the adults are pretty drunk they make the least drunk adult should drive, as the child is in urgent need of a stomach pump. Unfortunately, they get pulled over by a policeman on the way, who whips out his breathlyser and tests for alcohol vapour in the drivers breath. It tests positive and he goes to arrest him. The driver says "There must be a mistake with your machine! Please test it on this innocent child!"

I get off the train and make my way home. I walk past the park down the road from where I live. It's empty. When I was younger I would be out on my bike at this time, even if it was winter. I walk towards my house, past several neighbours, happen to see several televisions on inside. That's where they are. Inside watching television, or playing computers, instead of outside. Kids these days...

I get inside, stick on Gran Turismo 3. I'm still on beginners league, I'm pacing myself quite well. I start a new league and win the first race, second try. The second race however poses more of a problem. My car is not that good for this race, and I can manage no further than third place. I turn my methods to bad sportmanship, trying to ram people into the sides, and discourse them by crashing into any leaders at 200mph to throw them off balance skidding, an easy target to overtake. I take the lead with this one manoveure, and continue to drive in front of any competitors not wishing them to overtake me. Car crashes on last bend, get overtaken, full back to third place. Give up and go downstairs, log on to the internet. I look outside, it's getting dark. I'll go out tomorrow.

Kids these days. Always trying to look cool, hungry for a good social status. Lives are reduced to television and computers. I haven't done much else myself, for entertainment in a while. Maybe I'm just like them (apart from the smoking thing). I'm getting old.
Fri 08/02/02 at 21:00
I don't care whether I'm cool or not,I'm happy being an individual.
Fri 08/02/02 at 20:58
Regular
Just blow-torch a rugby ball (a football will give similar results) til it's flat and black, and tell her that's what her lungs will be like after a short while of smoking.
Fri 08/02/02 at 20:56
Regular
Oh theres time yet missy you have another 4 years of schoolin' before college.The peer pressure and the need to 'look cool'* to your mates will totally wash away that no way smoking attitude.

*Smoking is not cool,i wasnt saying it was.
those of you who have been through school will get what i mean
Fri 08/02/02 at 20:50
I was texting one of my mates yesterday and she texted me back,I replied with a very rude remark and she replied with 'Wot? R U drunk?'.I said 'I wish' as a joke and she then said 'Why don't we get some booze and drink it at ur house?'.I thought she was kidding so I said 'OK'.
The next day she walked up to me and said 'You got the booze yet?'I said to her 'No.Look at me,how old do I look',she looked at me and said 'You look about 11',I said 'Exactly' then she said 'Oh by the way,I got some fags for us'.I'm known for my refusel to smoke and that I have never smoked and never will,so I said 'You're serious?' she then said 'Course I am.Don't worry I'll get the booze' she walked away and later on I walked up to her and said 'That doesn't make you look cool,it's stupid!'.Then she said 'What doesn't?' 'Smoking,it's just suicide'.
She still wants me to do it and I don't know how to tell her no.Most of my friends from that area have smoked and some still do,I just think it's stupid.
Fri 08/02/02 at 20:39
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Edgy wrote:
I always make a point of blowing the smoke back to the smoker, or
> coughing at their faces when they smoke next to me. It's a disgusting and
> selfish habbit!

It is selfish in my opinion. I just try not to inhale when I'm around people smoking because I don't want to inhale all that crap in them. One woman started smoking at the train station in the morning on a windy day. All her smoke was blowing straight into my face. She could at least smoke away from people if she has to. Then when I got off the train she needed to borrow a phone to order a taxi. Why should I do something for her?
Fri 08/02/02 at 20:30
Regular
"One More Chance"
Yer im only 14 and half my freinds smoke they even smoke drugs sometimes! But well I just stay clear as its stupid *Round of appaluse from audience*
Fri 08/02/02 at 20:25
Regular
lol!

Some 10 yr old kid (that's how old he looked) in Game went to the till to buy "Lola virtual Babe"

He was turned down cos it's an 18.
Fri 08/02/02 at 20:18
Regular
"Shermer, Illinois?"
Edgy wrote:
> I've had so many kids in lower schools asking me if I've got any fags or even a
> lighter.

Heh, the cheek of em!

Also, in Cardiff City Centre, I was asked by a complete stranger who
> was obviously underage if I'd go in a shop and buy her some fags. I was underage
> too!

My dad saw some kids get turned away when they wanted to buy GTA2. He felt so bad for them that he nearly offered to buy the game and then give it to them. Heh@my dad. Isn't that a criminal offence, because he's technically supplying the game to the minors.
Fri 08/02/02 at 20:16
Regular
I've had so many kids in lower schools asking me if I've got any fags or even a lighter.

Also, in Cardiff City Centre, I was asked by a complete stranger who was obviously underage if I'd go in a shop and buy her some fags. I was underage too!
Fri 08/02/02 at 20:06
Regular
"Shermer, Illinois?"
Heh. Kids are no different at my school. Some smoke, some deal drugs and some have even had sexual intercourse, all this at the age of 13! What in the hell has this world come to?

For instance, I saw some kid ask one of my friends, a smoker, for a cigarrette, and he was literally begging him for one - I mean literally grovelling at his feet.

That same friend who was being begged for cigs was caught with Cannabis (in year 8 - aged 12) and was promptly suspended. Note: he did not take the drug, just possess it, which is still an offense.

About 5 people I know personally have had sexual intercourse, at the age of 13! They have their entire life to plan out when they are ready for it, because at our age, they don't really know what true love is, or what real dangers they face, with the "Oh, I'll cross that road when I come to it" mindset.

Why the hell do you want to grow up QUICKER? I want to stay young, innocent and exploit-free for as long as I can. Savour your youth - I know I will. Of course, it goes without saying that I WANT to have sexual intercourse, so maybe growing up IS a good thing :p

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.