GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Kids these days...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 08/02/02 at 17:39
Regular
It's Friday, schools over, hurray! I walk towards the school gates. A small group of girls from another school, wait for some boys. One of them casually smokes a cigarette, she can't be any older than 13 or 14 - she looks it. She smokes a few metres away from a school teacher at the main gates. Kids these days...

I walk towards the train station. Soon there is a group of four boys, holding cigarettes, smoking them, trying to look cool. They are year 10. They look it with their youthful looks. The cigarette in their hands makes them look stupid rather than cool. I feel like laughing in their faces, as they look so hilarious. They leave us a trail of smoke to inhale as we walk behind - how thoughtful. Kids these days...

I'm on the train and start reading a book! It's Friday afternoon and I'm reading a book! Kids these days...

The book is quite funny though. One idea in particular is very amusing. There is a party where everyone there drinks alcohol, even the children. One child in particular drinks so much he looks in quite a bad state, that they reckon they should take him to hospital. As all the adults are pretty drunk they make the least drunk adult should drive, as the child is in urgent need of a stomach pump. Unfortunately, they get pulled over by a policeman on the way, who whips out his breathlyser and tests for alcohol vapour in the drivers breath. It tests positive and he goes to arrest him. The driver says "There must be a mistake with your machine! Please test it on this innocent child!"

I get off the train and make my way home. I walk past the park down the road from where I live. It's empty. When I was younger I would be out on my bike at this time, even if it was winter. I walk towards my house, past several neighbours, happen to see several televisions on inside. That's where they are. Inside watching television, or playing computers, instead of outside. Kids these days...

I get inside, stick on Gran Turismo 3. I'm still on beginners league, I'm pacing myself quite well. I start a new league and win the first race, second try. The second race however poses more of a problem. My car is not that good for this race, and I can manage no further than third place. I turn my methods to bad sportmanship, trying to ram people into the sides, and discourse them by crashing into any leaders at 200mph to throw them off balance skidding, an easy target to overtake. I take the lead with this one manoveure, and continue to drive in front of any competitors not wishing them to overtake me. Car crashes on last bend, get overtaken, full back to third place. Give up and go downstairs, log on to the internet. I look outside, it's getting dark. I'll go out tomorrow.

Kids these days. Always trying to look cool, hungry for a good social status. Lives are reduced to television and computers. I haven't done much else myself, for entertainment in a while. Maybe I'm just like them (apart from the smoking thing). I'm getting old.
Sat 09/02/02 at 14:16
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
VenomByte wrote:
> It isn't easy getting through the whole of secondary school and sixth form
> without smoking, beacuse basically EVERYONE else does.

I went to a grammaer
> school, full of kids smart enough to know better. There were nor more than half
> a dozen non-smokers in my year group (myself included).

Trying to get them to
> stop is pointless. Not gonna happen. Don't preach, as you'll look like a gimp.
> Just don't smoke either.

I've been asked why I don't smoke on more than one
> occassion. I reply that "If you heard the way my dad coughs and chokes in
> the mornings, you wouldn't smoke either."

Very true. The thing is one boy in my class pulled out a pack of cigarettes, when I thought he'd given up about two years before. I said "Your addicted" and he insisted he wasn't. He just had the occasional cigarette here and there. If that's not addictive I don't know what is.

I make a point by saying to myself I'm not ever going out with a girl who smokes. I sell cigarettes every day in the shop. Had a few 16 year olds today. Tragic really.
Fri 08/02/02 at 23:53
Regular
"smile, it's free"
It isn't easy getting through the whole of secondary school and sixth form without smoking, beacuse basically EVERYONE else does.

I went to a grammaer school, full of kids smart enough to know better. There were nor more than half a dozen non-smokers in my year group (myself included).

Trying to get them to stop is pointless. Not gonna happen. Don't preach, as you'll look like a gimp. Just don't smoke either.

I've been asked why I don't smoke on more than one occassion. I reply that "If you heard the way my dad coughs and chokes in the mornings, you wouldn't smoke either."
Fri 08/02/02 at 23:47
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
It's sad..

I'm not asking who it was
just which one? (you can give initals if you want)
Fri 08/02/02 at 23:45
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
misterhappy wrote:
> The supremely talented Kurt Vonnegut called smoking "the noblest.......

Amazingly, a friend of Happy and me was smoking at my house a while back, telling us how smoking wasn't bad for you so long as you had a good diet... and the guy is going to cambridge!

Oh, and the same guy was asked by his bird the other day "what will it take to giev up smoking". He says "I dunno". She says "how about a b!ow job a day?"

I'm gunna start (joke)

Sonic
Fri 08/02/02 at 23:39
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
The supremely talented Kurt Vonnegut called smoking "the noblest form of suicide", which is more true than you can imagine. To this date I have never smoked, and I don't ever intend to. I've watched my friends start and move on to other things and I don't really want that myself. Especially as they seem oblivious to how much they spend on smoking and drinking. That's what gets me the most.. with the former you pay to kill yourself and with the latter you literally p*ss your money away. Sure everything's not about money but I wonder how many smokers wish they had never started when they get diagnosed with lung cancer.

Great post Rakuga, hope you bag yorself a GAD for it.
Fri 08/02/02 at 23:29
Yeah, damn right! I'm only 14 and i still think that most of the 'cool' or 'hard' kids i know are complete retards.
Fri 08/02/02 at 22:01
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
One of the funniest things a smoker has ever said to me was "Its not the tobacco that kills people its the other crap that is in the smoke". Well i say to you, "oh really" and is tobacco not a defence mechanism in plants which is made in the roots and transported to the leaves, and causes cancer. FOOL!

And drugs are just as bad, some of my mates have been smoking cannabis recently and i just said "what are you up to", he even brought some into school to sell to this guy. I then said to him "look at yourself youve become a drug dealer, you could go to jail!"
Fri 08/02/02 at 21:50
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Neo-Genetic wrote:
She still wants me to do
> it and I don't know how to tell her no.Most of my friends from that area have
> smoked and some still do,I just think it's stupid.

Look no one can make you do something you don't want to do. Don't think you have to do it just because everyone else is doing it. Just say "No thanks,"
If they say "Everyone has to try it"
say something like "no thanks, it smells bad, it looks bad, im told it's bad, why the **** would I want to stick it in my mouth?"
Once she's tried it after about a week she'll probably stop or say "she's given it up" then thats it.
That's what I did anyway when I was offered.
Still it was quite funny watching my friends smoke. They looked right idiots.
Fri 08/02/02 at 21:04
Mystique wrote:
*remember the popples?they were cool

The what?
Fri 08/02/02 at 21:03
Regular
Come back in three years when you have experianced high school* life properly

*american word i know but its the first one that popped* in my head.

*remember the popples?they were cool

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.