GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft lose again. Jolly good show!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 24/12/02 at 21:23
Regular
http://special.reserve.co.uk/news/story.php?id=2312

Nice to know. Let's hope they lose the big one, too.
Thu 26/12/02 at 20:38
"High polygon count"
Err... why is everyone bringing the Xbox into this? It's not mentioned at all in my original post, or the article. So why is any of it being seen as anti-Xbox?
Thu 26/12/02 at 20:02
Regular
"Unretired"
Windows sucks, Yes Microsoft are a dreadful company with there money making schemes, but I dont hold that against the Xbox. Because to be quite honest, microsoft have done a great job on the Xbox, and its going to take a long time for you guys to see it.
Thu 26/12/02 at 18:51
"High polygon count"
ajg wrote:
> You hate microsoft huh? Course you should. Why? Because everyone else
> says so? Because its trendy? Because he has more money than you?

Try questionable business practices, releasing bloated, bugged and inefficient software, and you may be a bit nearer the mark.
Thu 26/12/02 at 18:45
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I hate Microsoft for their immoral use of cororate weight. In the early days they screwed everyone else - working with IBM on OS/2 and then leaving and copying many of Apple's applications.

That's not to say they are alone in this. Apple got the whole Graphical User Interface idea from Xerox (Mr. Jobs, head of Apple, demanded that his development team be allowed to go arround the Xerox village after he had witnessed the technology there. He then stole it all).

So, finally, MS come out on top with domination in the OS market. However, they take this a step further by forcing you to use their products. They spend millions developing Internet Explorer and then give it away with Windows, thus destroying Netscape. They make it harder for people to use non-MS products like Java.

However, what really takes the biscuit is their closed standards. Whilst the rest of the industry is aiming towards providing openly available standards, MS are making it harder for developers to follow these standards, making their own uniquely MS-orientated products like .NET and C#

Of course, they're entitled to make these products, it's just that they shouldn't be allowed to use their stronghold in the OS market to make people take up these products and standards. Their products should be forced to compete solely on their own quality (of course, this includes marketting and salesmanship!)

Sonic
Thu 26/12/02 at 14:56
Regular
""
You hate microsoft huh? Course you should. Why? Because everyone else says so? Because its trendy? Because he has more money than you?

How about stopping for a second and thinking...

The insight and technical wizardary knowhow of Microsoft and in particular Bill Gates and Paul Allen changed the way of life in the US, the UK and I suppose the whole world. If you read anything about Bill Gates you see that his ideas where and still are far ahead of the time.

When Mr Gates and Mr Allen dreamt up Windows version whatever, there wasnt anything on the planet as advanced. Computers were the size of small houses and had the processing power of the a calculator.

Microsoft is a business. Its a company out to make money. Why do Sun want their software shipped with Windows? Because it has no chance of competing against them on its own. Sun have a very markettable product with the J2EE suite. So successful in fact that Microsoft have seen the need and make their own. The only thing missing from the Windows environment was the fuctionality that makes Java programming so successfull - scalability, multi-treading, garbage collection etc etc. So Microsoft did what any other company would do; write their own. And voila - there it is in .Net.

I could go on and on, but its Boxing Day and I've turkey to eat, beer to drink and tv to fall asleep in front of. But when youre playing your Xboxs or surfing the net or whatever, take a minute to think why you s!agging of Microsoft. Is it for the right reasons?
Thu 26/12/02 at 14:15
Regular
I hate Microsoft they made windows, I cannot access Java, Windows is crap and always crashes.

This makes the Xbox crap, Xbox sucks cause its made my Microsoft, Thats what my friend said.

I hate MS.

Pfft.
Wed 25/12/02 at 00:03
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Pfft. I just downloaded the Java plug in from Sun.

Works fine.
Tue 24/12/02 at 23:47
Regular
"Tag as above"
WS wrote:
> I am especcialy thankful they have lost.
>
> Thanks to oh so wonderful Microsoft screwing us about again, I can't
> access *any* websites with Java using my £200 copy of Windows XP
> Professional.
>
> Barstewards

thats because you don't know how to update it.
Tue 24/12/02 at 21:27
Regular
I am especcialy thankful they have lost.

Thanks to oh so wonderful Microsoft screwing us about again, I can't access *any* websites with Java using my £200 copy of Windows XP Professional.

Barstewards
Tue 24/12/02 at 21:23
"High polygon count"
http://special.reserve.co.uk/news/story.php?id=2312

Nice to know. Let's hope they lose the big one, too.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.