GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft lose again. Jolly good show!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 24/12/02 at 21:23
Regular
http://special.reserve.co.uk/news/story.php?id=2312

Nice to know. Let's hope they lose the big one, too.
Fri 03/01/03 at 17:48
Regular
""
Strafex wrote:
> ajg wrote:
>
> When Mr Gates and Mr Allen dreamt up Windows version whatever, there
> wasnt anything on the planet as advanced. Computers were the size of
> small houses and had the processing power of the a calculator.
>
> So by writing a computer program, MS was responisble for the entire
> microchip revolution and increase in performance of personal
> computers?
>
> I think that this guy's lost all credibility! :-D

Sorry for delay in responding - been away over new year...

If everyone in PC land was running Win3.1 or whatever, then what would be the point of making processors capable of running the likes of .Net and internet servers? It wouldnt make sense. Its not cost-effective or efficient.

The whole PC industry requires developers to write code that uses processor speed effiently and to the max, and for the processor manufactuers to keep pushing the boundaries. Thats why the whole industry has moved on so fast.

It had to start somewhere and I firmly believe Bill Gates played a major part it it.

I'll choose to ignore the last comment. I thought this was a public message board where anyone can voice their points of view. Obviously youre far to knowledgeable for the rest of us
Sun 29/12/02 at 18:44
"High polygon count"
Well, I love WinXP, but I find it a source of much amusement that it has taken 'the biggest company in the world' this long to produce an OS as stable and user-friendly as AmigaOS was in the late 80s.

And I still think the software is bloated. I used to have everything on my Amiga that I have on my PC, and it all fit nicely onto an 80MB (yes, Megabyte!) HD and ran happily in half a meg of RAM (although I had 10MB).

You can bet your life that, had Commodore stayed in business, their machines and OS would be far superior to anything Intel and MS are producing.
Sun 29/12/02 at 00:28
Regular
ajg wrote:

> When Mr Gates and Mr Allen dreamt up Windows version whatever, there
> wasnt anything on the planet as advanced. Computers were the size of
> small houses and had the processing power of the a calculator.

So by writing a computer program, MS was responisble for the entire microchip revolution and increase in performance of personal computers?

I think that this guy's lost all credibility! :-D
Sat 28/12/02 at 23:58
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
But With MS resources and wealth Bugging issues shouldn't be a problem.

To be honest, I don't see the fuss. I have no idea what Java is, and I don't care about MS domination of the PC market. All I know is its console devision isn't using dirty tactics, is making headway in the games market fairly and is building a good franchise with Xbox.
Fri 27/12/02 at 15:42
Regular
""
As with everything in life you have a choice. You dont like IE? Dont use it. Use Moz or NS or whatever. The thing i hate is when people knock MS just because its MS. Once you get beyond the fact that MS are going to rule the world one day (ok, im exagerating) youll see that its just any other company. They only got where they are today by having insight and are willing to take calculated risks. People hate them purely because they are so successful. Period.

OK, .Net is just a MS version of the J2EE environment. There is absolutly nothing wrong with Sun Java but surely you can see it makes sense from a MS point-of-view if their products do tie in with the operating system. Java sits perfectly well in a Microsoft environment. Ive worked on a good few projects that do it. But seeing .Net in action really impressed me. Speaking as a developer, debugging seamlessly between VB, C# and SQL server is the best since sliced bread. Anyhow, getting off the subject...

Of course the software has bugs. The first developer who writes perfect code will be able to name his price. MS are not alone in writing buggy code.

And also, of course they set the standards. As with all laws and standards, they dont suit everyone. But being market leader rightly or wrongly allows them to set some of these standards. Tony Blair and his government outlines the laws of the country. That doesnt mean all labour supporters agrees with what he says.

Im all for opensource but the majority of the PC buyers are not techies. They cannot download and compile open-sourcecode. They want something that works when you switch the PC on. If you take MS away, what are the choices? Apple - ok, good for graphic design. Not my thing. And erm, IBM OS2? Ewww - have you used it???
Fri 27/12/02 at 10:37
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Try questionable business practices, releasing bloated, bugged and
> inefficient software, and you may be a bit nearer the mark.

Yeah, I was thinking that about the Apple Macs.

All software contains bugs, Live with it.
Fri 27/12/02 at 10:35
Regular
I was erm, Just joking about the attitude of some people towards a company....
Thu 26/12/02 at 23:54
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
You're an idiot.
Thu 26/12/02 at 23:26
Regular
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> I hate Microsoft for their immoral use of cororate weight. In the
> early days they screwed everyone else - working with IBM on OS/2 and
> then leaving and copying many of Apple's applications.
>
> That's not to say they are alone in this. Apple got the whole
> Graphical User Interface idea from Xerox (Mr. Jobs, head of Apple,
> demanded that his development team be allowed to go arround the Xerox
> village after he had witnessed the technology there. He then stole it
> all).
>
> So, finally, MS come out on top with domination in the OS market.
> However, they take this a step further by forcing you to use their
> products. They spend millions developing Internet Explorer and then
> give it away with Windows, thus destroying Netscape. They make it
> harder for people to use non-MS products like Java.
>
> However, what really takes the biscuit is their closed standards.
> Whilst the rest of the industry is aiming towards providing openly
> available standards, MS are making it harder for developers to follow
> these standards, making their own uniquely MS-orientated products like
> .NET and C#
>
> Of course, they're entitled to make these products, it's just that
> they shouldn't be allowed to use their stronghold in the OS market to
> make people take up these products and standards. Their products
> should be forced to compete solely on their own quality (of course,
> this includes marketting and salesmanship!)
>
> Sonic

xbox rules!!!
Thu 26/12/02 at 20:40
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
they take this a step further by forcing you to use their
> products.

I'm sorry. I don't recall the shop assistant forcing me to buy/use windows.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.