GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DEFINITIVE GAMES TOPIC"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 24/12/02 at 22:07
Regular
Lately, I have been getting back into gaming... big time.

I've been doing everything in my power to owning the largest range of consoles and games posible. NiGHTS on the Saturn. Sonic on the Mega Drive. Halo on the Xbox.

So, in this topic, I hope to create the definitive list of games that any hardcore gamer should have played - with your help of course. But before I start on the list, here's a definition for you:

"A definitive game is one that revolutionises, defines or creates great gaming experiences. It must either cause an existing genre to evolve, often spawning leagues of copies and setting a benchmark that stands for at least a console generation, or must develop a new genre or gaming style"

As such, good, or even great, games do not make the list. The game has to be one of such brilliance that other game designers will try to emulate its success (although this need not be success in sales terms).

So, your homework for the holidays is to produce such a list of me. So far I have some obvious titles to help guide you:

N64:

*Mario 64 - invented 3D gaming as well as setting a benchmark in the platform gaming genre.

*Zelda OOT - added to the technical brilliance of Mario by defining 3D real-time combat, as well as being one of the greatest games ever made in its own right.

Now go my minions, and return with games are explanation why they should make the list. The full list will appear early next year.

Sonic
Fri 27/12/02 at 17:32
Regular
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> What is wrong with you people?! Gaming has been around for the best
> part of 30 years, and yet everyone is going on about modern day
> titles! I want games on the spectrem, atari and amiga!

It's because a lot of us are too young to of owned those consoles.
Thu 26/12/02 at 10:13
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> Tough call. Zelda OOT did all of this and more. Not only that, but the
> amount of extras in Zelda was amazingly varied, while in GTA the only
> really courses of action are playing the levels or playing as a
> fireman/taxi driver etc.

Zelda revolutionised RPGs, though. GTA revolutionised 3rd person actio games, and created the crime genre. And you've left out insane jumps, hidden packages, the many side missions, and of course just finding all the cool easter eggs and hidden things left around. And just walking around stealing cars and shooting people.
Thu 26/12/02 at 09:50
Regular
"Beaten with sticks"
Sonic- for his consistent efforts at gaming stardom ;) nah he's great come on he has to be the greatest sega character

Mario= the nintendo superstar

DK- another nintendo giant

Pacman- i dunno hes just cool
Thu 26/12/02 at 06:33
Regular
"sweats salad dressi"
WS wrote:
> uhh
>
> Jetpak

What are you still doing awake?!!!!! :-0
Thu 26/12/02 at 06:30
Regular
uhh

Jetpak
Thu 26/12/02 at 03:41
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
My last year of school was spent playing sensible soccer across the network...

Last year in fact!
Thu 26/12/02 at 03:01
Regular
Sensible Soccer on the Amiga. AMAZING GAME. So damn playable, and amazing becasue its still enjoyable to play today. I'd be very surprised if people are playing pro evo 2, TIF 2003 etc... 5 years down the line.

my eyes lit up when my cousin bought round my copy of Sensible world of soccer 95/96 (euro 96 limited edition) today (which he had had for quite some time!) The game is very rare and hard to find!
Thu 26/12/02 at 02:30
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
What is wrong with you people?! Gaming has been around for the best part of 30 years, and yet everyone is going on about modern day titles! I want games on the spectrem, atari and amiga!

Where's Elite, Chuckie Egg and Manic Miner?
Thu 26/12/02 at 00:49
Regular
Sonic, although Zelda's places appeared to be full of life, it was really just preset entities saying preset lines with preset actions.

Doesn't take away from the game but it does mean that GTA should get the award for bringing a city to life with full interactivity and real time intelligence.

Playing around with the living city was what the entire huge appeal of the game was based around.

My suggestions?

Goldeneye - It took FPS a HUGE step forward in every area.

Brought it to consoles, introduced it to splitscreen multiplayer (and got it brilliant first time), introduced headshots/limbshots (remember, the most advanced PC FPS was Quake 2, which had none of this), stealth and sniping and proper mission structures were introduced, combined with great AI and guard animations which brought the game to life in a way that had not been done before - it actually felt like you were sneaking round a base full of inhabitants rather than just playing through a level.

Smash Brothers - I think this one is overlooked.

I'd compare this series to Jet Set Radio in the way that it's deceptively brilliant. 2D beat em ups were no big deal - out of date.
And the limited set of moves on Smash Brothers made it seem like a simplistic button basher for kids.

Those who got to play it and mastered it found an innoative work of genius.
The simplistic attacks amd dodging system mean that instead of learning boring combo's (like traditional fighters), you're playing on raw skill and spontaneous thinking rather than simply learning preset button combination strategys.

There were still strategys to devellop - each character has their own way to be played and mastered, but the best thing about it was how you could play you're own way.

It could be an intense battle of speed and lightening skills, or it could just be mess around laugh where you throw around as many Pokeballs you can, causing onscreen chaos. There were almost endless possiblities.

Like Jet Set radio, Smash Brothers got an update onto the next generation of consoles and Melee gave everything that made the original so great, only it enhanced it and improved it in every way, ironing out little bugs and putting in loads of new ideas that didn't make it first time round, not to mention the Gamecube's power giving a whole new world of possiblities.

Smash brothers Melee and it's N64 predecessor are still the ONLY 2 games of their kind. Unique and clever, even if it wasn't widely recognised as so.

Not many others come to mind right now... although judging by footage and review scores, Metroid Prime and Zelda: Wind Waker might well be worthy of being here too.
Wed 25/12/02 at 23:24
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
this may sound stupid but:

Elastomania

download it from elastomania.com and give it a chance, you'll soon see what i mean, its extremely addictive and there is an official world elastomania championships for pro elastomania players

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.